Author Topic: DLC/FUTURE UPDATES  (Read 12440 times)

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
Re: Re: DLC/FUTURE UPDATES
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 03:33:57 AM »
Btw, it seems obvious that a game series named "Quest for Infamy" probably won't ever have a Paladin class in store.

So.... is there a possibility of ever seeing something else as a secret 4th Class for Roehm?

The opposite of Pure Good is Pure Evil, and while Roehm can be a mean bastard at times he doesn't come across as being pure evil though.
If he ever does go worse, how about an aniti paladin, he better not encounter any paladins after that though. Matters could be rather explosive.

When you're a farrier you need to know these things

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Re: DLC/FUTURE UPDATES
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 03:58:50 AM »
The opposite of a Paladin in a lot of fantasy literature is the Shaman. And no, we won't be introducing a shaman.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 03:59:33 AM »
Roehm the shaman.  Ha!
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 04:18:24 AM »
if you use antipaladin there's a joke there.  paladin meets anti paladin much like matter meets antimatter.

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 10:21:31 AM »
Or dark/chaos knights.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 11:38:49 AM »
Yeah Chaos Knights too. Man they're cool. But a bit "evil" for our games I think. It'd be hard to turn the character of Roehm into a chaos knight.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Browncoat Jayson

• Recruit
  • Liked: 7
    • View Profile
    • Digital Lycaeum
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 12:59:25 PM »
One of my favorite paladin classes in D&D 3.5 is the Grey Knigt, who is basically a paladin who has to do the dirty work that their goody two shoes brothers can't do; things like assassinating evil overlords, before they can start a war that might kill millions. I can definitely see Roehm becoming this kind of paladin, where he does what has to be done, even if it's distasteful, because not doing it would be worse.
Join me in New Britannia!

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 07:50:58 PM »
don't forget doing it with much grumbling.

garr

• Villain
  • Liked: 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 08:12:55 PM »
Adding stuff to this game is rather moot. The first thing to do is fix QFI1. I started through the Rogue again and forgot to hold off on the bird in cage mission till after the treants. Now I'm forced to start over @$?!!%

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 12:19:32 AM »
We're fixing those issues at the moment, and tweaking a few other things for an upcoming patch.

miriya

• Villain
  • Liked: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 02:43:22 AM »
Will our current saved games work with the patched version?  It seems to be common that games written with AGS won't accept old saved games once they've been patched, and that could be a problem with steam's auto-update default setting.  Is this rejection of older saved games inherent to AGS, or is it a programmer's choice?

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 03:00:14 AM »
It is, unfortunately, inherent to AGS.  I expect we'll try to do everything we can to make people aware of the coming update AND the fact that it will negate old saves, when we get a little closer to that point.  But yeah, it sucks--one of the limitations of AGS in its current state.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 01:31:56 PM »
Breaking old saves is not at all unique to AGS. Sierra's SCI saves were extremely version specific. It would be very hard, if not impossible to guarantee backwards compatibility in all cases, regardless of engine. Think of the variables that have to be stored in a save game file. This stores things like time and other stats, inventory items, tasks performed and events. Bug fixes can easily change the exact value of some of these, breaking the old saves.

For a patch, I could have the installer check for old saves and offer to allow the user to keep the old saves by moving them instead of simply deleting them, but to use them, the user would need to reinstall the old version of the game.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 02:46:03 PM »
yeah.  this is an issue to any game that does not literally hold your hand through the process of the whole game.  In most games today all you need to know are what room the player is in, how much ammo, and what weapons they hold, and their last checkpoint.  No need for more.  It makes it easy.  In AGS, we could create our own custom save feature that records ALL global and room variables (this would include literally thousands of variables) and then resets them when you restore a game...but what f there are new variables?  how would we handle those?  there are other components ags keeps track of that we cannot, and those values (like first time a room is entered, etc) that trigger certain plot events would cause all types of bugs.  Basically in any open world kind of game that does not just keep track of few things like what missions have been completed (think gta, or other rockstar games) it is almost impossible to keep save games for new updates.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

miriya

• Villain
  • Liked: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 08:56:28 PM »
Oh, I completely understand how difficult it is to make things backward compatible, especially when dealing with a platform that inherently doesn't support it.  I just spent a few years working in a lab where one change to the code could easily keep you from reading any of the old data that had been collected without a considerable amount of double-checks and legacy code.

From a gaming perspective, I also remember getting the bug at the end of QfG4 where you couldn't do the final action that would complete the game.  Either I got lucky and the fix incorrectly loaded my old saved game, or some good samaritan wrote a patch that didn't break backward compatibility.  To this day I'm still not sure which it was.

From the bugs I've seen posted, and the vast nonlinearity of the game, it's clear that implementing backward-compatibility for saved games simply isn't an option (even if AGS supported it).  My concern then is with the individuals who are part-way through the game and then run it from steam one day to find all their progress erased from an auto-update.  Is there a way, from the server side, to prevent automatic updates?  That way a player could get a notification that an update is available with a disclaimer that it would eliminate their current progress.  If the player applies it, then he or she would have been warned, and if instead the player chooses to wait to finish a particular play-through, then no progress would be lost (even if the player would miss out on the bug-fixes and potential new content).  One could claim that a user should have auto-updates turned off if he or she is concerned about this, but I haven't yet played a game through steam that lost progress with updates.  Granted, my library is quite small.  Games outside of steam are a completely different story, but usually those games require manual updates which come with disclaimers.