Author Topic: Can't run game!  (Read 3134 times)

Dboskello777

Can't run game!
« on: July 11, 2014, 01:30:40 PM »
I downloaded the game from Phoenix online early Thursday morning before the game was officially live.  I went to install it last night and when I click on prelude or start game, the game crashes to the desktop and I get a box with the message   "an error has occurred...." error running function 'room_load;
Error null point referenced

I tried downloading the game a couple more times but still the same error message.  I am downloading from a link I received in an email from Phoenix online after I bough the game.  It originally said I have 10 downloads of the game before it expires.   Please help.  Thanks.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: Can't run game!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 01:58:32 PM »
Yes! This error happens for some people when the game is installed in the Program Files directory; it's a protected directory for some, so you can either install it in a different place, or choose to "Run as Administrator" as a work around.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 03:11:53 PM »
I think I know why. Every room change writes to "PlayTime.dat". With UAC on when the game is installed in %ProgramFiles% file writes will be redirected to the user's VirtualStore. AGS must have trouble handling reading and/or writing the redirect.

Edit: I have an idea of how to possibly fix it.

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 04:13:28 PM »
Maybe we could patch AGS to detect the Windows version being run, and if it's 7+, then store "PlayTime.dat" in a game-specific folder in the user's "User\Username\AppData" folder.  I'm no Windows dude, but I think that's how that's supposed to go down these days.  Thoughts?
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »
No need to detect the Windows version. Just use the environment variable, i.e. "%LocalAppData%\QfI". That will work on Win2k and XP as well. After it is fixed, I can do a small binary level patch for those that do not want to have to re-download the entire game again.

Dboskello777

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 05:49:46 AM »
Thank you very much Blackthorne.  I just installed it in another folder like you said.  Works perfectly now.  Thanks again.