Author Topic: Quest For Gory 4.5 inspired this?  (Read 80433 times)

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
Re: Quest For Gory 4.5 inspired this?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 06:26:10 PM »
The Windows setup fails on modern Windows and the DOS version does not run in DOSBox. Try this:

• Download and install DOSBox. www.dosbox.com
  • Create a shortcut to DOSBox on your desktop
  • Download the DOS version of the game
  • Drag the setup.bat from the DOS version's folder and drop it onto the DOSBox shortcut
  • Accept all of the default settings
The game will fail to load, but it will create the config file that can be used with the Windows version. Just copy the config from the DOS version to the Windows version's folder. The game should be able to start.

Sslaxx

• Recruit
  • Liked: 2
    • Sslaxx
    • https://twitter.com/Sslaxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 09:46:52 AM »
Okay, we're getting closer to me understanding this, thank you.

I tried making a copy of a random cfg file, then I opened it in Notepad.  I replaced everything inside with...

"Code: [Select]

[sound]
digiindx=0
digiid=-1
midiindx=7
midiid=1297110304

[misc]
screenres=1
"

I still can't get it to work, what else do I need to do or what am I doing wrong?  Again, you gotta give me directions like I'm Forest Gump on this, lol.

(note- i just played QFG1 again!  I'm looking forward to this game even if it is kinda stupid, for no other reason than to do something with that log, go into the graveyard crypt, into the mountain pass and maybe climb up the castle.)

You copied literally everything - including parts of the forum post.

Anyway, http://sslaxx.twu.net/acsetup.cfg should be what you need.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

DeadSuperHero

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 01:02:49 PM »
Quest for Glory 4 1/2 was hysterical. It ripped off heavily from the official series and several other Sierra titles (possibly even a few LucasArts ones), but it was a great parody.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 05:18:05 PM »
Okay, we're getting closer to me understanding this, thank you.

I tried making a copy of a random cfg file, then I opened it in Notepad.  I replaced everything inside with...

"Code: [Select]

[sound]
digiindx=0
digiid=-1
midiindx=7
midiid=1297110304

[misc]
screenres=1
"

I still can't get it to work, what else do I need to do or what am I doing wrong?  Again, you gotta give me directions like I'm Forest Gump on this, lol.

(note- i just played QFG1 again!  I'm looking forward to this game even if it is kinda stupid, for no other reason than to do something with that log, go into the graveyard crypt, into the mountain pass and maybe climb up the castle.)

You copied literally everything - including parts of the forum post.

Anyway, http://sslaxx.twu.net/acsetup.cfg should be what you need.

I'm still incredibly lost...

http://sslaxx.twu.net/acsetup.cfg

What exactly do I need to do with what's in this link to play the game?  I'm sorry, but I'm a complete idiot at computer stuff.

If anyone has a playable copy they could put up online for dl, I'd love to play it.

I had a dream about this game last night that my character was being chased in the forest at night by badass monsters and while it was happening it kind of reminded me of Quest for Infamy for some reason.

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 11:58:54 PM »
just drop it in the game's folder.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 12:16:57 PM »

Please elaborate.  What do I do exactly?  I tried copying that text into a random cfg file and putting it into the game's folder but, it had no effect.

I'm an idiot when it comes to computer.  If anyone can make a dl with a windows-ready playable copy of 4.5, I'll be mucho appreciado.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 12:27:56 PM »
Right click on the link to this file. 

http://sslaxx.twu.net/acsetup.cfg

Click "Save As...." and save it in the game directory. It should work.  If it doesn't then I guess you'll never get to play QFG 4.5

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 12:30:19 PM »

Please elaborate.  What do I do exactly?  I tried copying that text into a random cfg file and putting it into the game's folder but, it had no effect.

What I believe Collector is saying is:

1. Download the file (Right-click and "Save Link As...")

2. Move that file to the folder that contains the games data.  As you have not stated what type of operating system you are running (Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP / ME / 2000 / 98 / 95 / Win 3.1 ), it may be in a different folder location...

NOTE:

A. Do NOT copy the data into a new file or change the name of the file in any way.  The game SPECIFICALLY looks for the file named "acsetup.cfg" that Sslaxx has posted.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 12:33:57 PM »
It did not work!

BUT-

http://webspace.webring.com/people/ed/d_blakeley/Games/QFGSeries/QFG45/QFG45.html

"Updates:
• In Feb 2013 I was informed by a big QFG4.5 fan that they have successfully ported QFG4.5 to the latest version of AGS (many have tried but this person is the first to do it successfully!) and fixed most of its bugs (yes you can even play poker now!). They’ve contacted me to assist them with ironing out the various remaining bugs and flaws in the game and I’m helping as best as I can. When they release the new and improved QFG4.5 I’ll make sure I update this page! And I’ll have to re-write my bloody walkthrough again lol! "

I shall simply wait for the superior fixed version to come out that is easier to play and set up and that has bonus goodies in the game even vets of it like you have not played!  Hahaha!

(I wonder if anyone from this topic e-mail that guy)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 12:36:32 PM »
Well, the guy who runs that site, Blake, is a friend of mine.

And I've owned the QFG 4.5 source code for years.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 12:40:05 PM »
Oh cool!  Just my luck I find out that a superior fixed version is coming out while I'm having trouble playing the broken version!  ;D

I hope QFG 4.5 comes out before Infamy, I wonder what the release date is?

Oh, one question- how high do stats go in this game?  Can you import to it from after QFG 4?  And do you retain any weapons/items for this game?

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 12:43:11 PM »
No, the game is an absolute parody.  There are no real stats, there are to weapons or items of any note to retain - and you can't export your character.  This isn't a real game, you know.  It's a parody.  It takes the piss out of QFG.

Bt

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »
B2DB --

"You may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting.  This is not logical, but it is often true."
     -- Spock, giving advice to Stonn in Star Trek's 1967 episode "Amok Time"

You've certainly built-up hype about this game for yourself so much that I'm afraid once you finally DO get to play it, you be all like, "Meh," and it'll be a tremendous let-down...   ???

There's nothing to fear, however; when QFI's full game is finally released, it will once again restore your faith in computer gaming...   ;D

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »
Or, to paraphrase XKCD:

"When I start the program, it just shows Hitler's face with glowing red eyes and erases all the data on my hard drive."
"Meh. Still better than Quest for Glory 4.5."

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 06:28:26 PM »
it wasn't that bad. I didn't have to schedule a lobotomy
When you're a farrier you need to know these things