Author Topic: The Kickstarter Blues  (Read 49273 times)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: The Kickstarter Blues
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2012, 11:51:02 AM »
Hahah - what I meant by no Rhyme or Reason wasn't that Obsidian or DoubleFine didn't have a pedigree - they most certainly did.  I do think Project Eternity is going to be a good game; those guys were on their Kickstarter constantly, talking to the fans, taking advice, and had a decent plan laid out.  Tim Schaeffer... well, he basically was the first established old-school guy to say "Hey, I want to make an adventure game...." and with that kind of excitement, and his track record of amazing adventure games.... it just happened.  But I don't think it could really happen again.

Tom Hall definitely had some old school cred with Commander Keen and Doom - and Brenda Bathwaite with her work on Wizardry, but it wasn't enough.  A name and a basic concept isn't enough anymore.

Seriously, though, if we had 7,000 backers and $250,000+, the adventure game we could make would be stunning.  Hell, we could make several games for that!  Neither here nor there; Quest For Infamy is going to be so booty shakin' awesome, it's going to cause spontaneous beards to grow on our fans.  Even the girls.  Sorry ladies.  I'll include razors in every big-box purchase of QFI.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2012, 12:02:07 PM »
My Beard is growing in anticipation!!!  Gonna look like Rip Van Winkle by the time QFI is released!!  Better send me a Carton of Industrial Razors!!!!! :) ;)
**********Chadly*********************

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2012, 03:34:26 PM »
, for example, our games at IA over the years have been downloaded close to a million times.  We have about 1,800+ backers.  That's way less than 1% of the total throughout the years.  Some people aren't going to take the risk and ride on the KS merry-go-round.  Which is cool - I'm hoping more of them will come out and check out our game when we release it.  But you do have to think about the realistic size of your KS audience.
How many individuals do you think would make up those downloads? I know I have downloaded Kq3 a couple of times and space quest once. I am sure the total number of players would still be an impressive size but itis hard to get a grasp on the numbers for a free game.

I love the fact that IQ are doing the game as a project of love. I am sure if you were paying each team member market rates the game would cost many many times more then the amount raised. Sadly many other projects don't have the same level of passion for what they are doing so they need to raise huge amounts to cover these development costs. Personally I haven't backed any of the big projects, but I don't think they are abusing the Ks process simply by asking for a large amount. I do agree the give me millions cos I am a big name  and will decide on the game later is a sham

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2012, 03:41:51 PM »
It's true, rugged, this really is a labor of love for us--the kickstarter allowed us to kick a little cash in the direction of each contributor, which is a nice bonus.  What the cash really allows for is just enough incentive for me to be able to budget working on this project into my weekly "work time" as opposed to just "free time," which is significantly smaller nowadays than it used to be.  But I love doing it, too--I'd work on it for free; I'd probably just be less productive.  ;)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2012, 01:48:21 AM »
Our download counter only counts each IP address once, so while there will be some double up, the numbers are pretty solid.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2012, 10:39:11 AM »
Shaker: An Old School RPG said they're cancelling the project several days ago, yet the site it still live.  They've been asked and they say "It's a glitch in KS".

I'm calling bullshit here.  You know what I think? (Conspiracy Theory Mode ON!) They're begging and pleading with Kickstarter to let them change the monetary goal of the game.  I bet they're trying to finangle it down from $1,000,000 to like $300,000 - so they could meet their goal and keep the money they've raised so far....

Bt

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2012, 11:04:14 AM »
Shaker: An Old School RPG said they're cancelling the project several days ago, yet the site it still live.  They've been asked and they say "It's a glitch in KS".

I'm calling bullshit here.  You know what I think? (Conspiracy Theory Mode ON!) They're begging and pleading with Kickstarter to let them change the monetary goal of the game.  I bet they're trying to finangle it down from $1,000,000 to like $300,000 - so they could meet their goal and keep the money they've raised so far....

Bt

If that's the case, and knowing Kickstarter's track record of letting big potential pay-offs wipe their asses with their Terms of Use, we should be hearing that announcement any time...
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »

Bt

I wouldn't doubt that is what they're trying to do.  If that IS the reason, then that is even one more reason for me not to want to back the project.  Personally, I thought the project doomed from the start.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2012, 10:54:30 PM »
To be honest I don't think they are trying to lower the goal. It would be a pr nightmare to use terms like mercy killing if it was a project you were gong to try and resurrect.  The whole tone of the update suggests it is a project that wont see the light of day.
I think they have done many things wrong during the kickstarter but it would be a whole nother level of stupid to tell fans they no longer needed the funds pledged and then "surprise" them with a lowered goal.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2012, 07:04:26 AM »
Actually, I think it'd be on par with the amount of stupid shown during the campaign.  I'm never surprised at how stupid people can be.

Bt

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2012, 08:49:32 PM »

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2012, 10:16:06 PM »
Yeah, I read about that recently.  It's a sad situation - one I think we may see from a number of Kickstarters.  I think they may just have bit off more than they could chew.  I think there's some games out there that have been funded that suffer from the same thing.... we'll see over the next year, for certain. 

Bt

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2012, 09:00:49 PM »
Haunts, however, was in a somewhat unique situation in that a large part of the early funding (some $40K or so) came from a development grant, in which the terms dictated that the game code and assets become open-sourced upon release of the project.  Also, the programmers on the team expected to work for pay throughout the the extent of the project (the creator mentioned that none of the coders were willing, or prepared, to work in a "startup" environment).  So, going off-schedule (and hence off budget) simply meant leaving the project.

The game is (essentially) alpha quality now, with the soundtrack, all art assets, and nearly all game features implemented, along with a level editor and (at least?) one demo level.   The counterpoint is that it's *not* beta, with heavy level design and a fair bit of engine debugging presented as the first hurdles to progress, including scripting API bugs for level design.

That's the *real* naivete, in regards to the project lead.  *All* games release late, and every software project has unforeseen nasty bugs to overcome.  I've never seen software ship on time without bugs.  Anywhere.  It's not that I don't believe it's possible, I just don't think it will ever happen!

Anyway, software engineering principles aside, Haunts was already intended to BSD (or Artistic) license and release all the engine code and level scripting, and Creative Commons license all the music and artwork.  This direction change means that they have to do so to even complete a game for the retail market as well as to deliver game downloads to Kickstarter backers.  So, there is a fair chance that a heavily-moddable, crowd-sourced game may come of this.  I'm hoping that the engine can be adapted for async turn-based games, and that the work we backers paid for will be leveraged like crazy for a bunch of nifty games in a similar style  (yes, I backed it for $10, which is a pair of downloads).

I wish I could help them, as I love games, I love programming, and I love open source collaboration... but I've pledged my Linux engineering & consulting time to a small number of Kickstarter projects (QFI included), and I'd really be reneging on my commitment to these other projects if I stretched myself that thinly.

Software is notoriously difficult to scope;  I agree with Bt that we may (will?) see this from a number of Kickstarters.  How many other failures won't have a reasonable "open source" escape hatch, or won't be far enough along to make it worth it?
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Lupin

• Lackey
  • Liked: 1
  • Magic Knight and Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2012, 05:52:07 AM »
I just discovered a Kickstarter that doesn't actually make any sense

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/51590474/prehistoric-pets-book?ref=users

It's a guy who wants to publish a book (which incidentally actually has an interesting concept behind it), but he spends half the video telling us that he is already an established author. He talks about how he has already written two books and how much of a best seller they both were. So this begs the question of why does he need Kickstarter? Generally, Kickstarters involving books are usually for the publishing costs, but if he is already a best seller, surely he doesn't need Kickstarter. He just rings up the people who published his last two and go "Hey, I have a new book". Whilst he does say that he hasn't written in a while, that really shouldn't be an excuse. At no point does he actually state what he needs the money for, which when you are asking for money from people, is something you want to know.

The funny thing is that he has already had this project on Kickstarter. He cancelled it which could possibly mean that it failed because people noticed the exact same thing I did.

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2013, 02:59:57 AM »
You think that project doesn't make sense?  Get a load of this guy:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1376466869/lore 

... and when that didn't work out, did this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1376466869/lore-0

This has to be one of the weirdest things I've seen on Kickstarter, to date.
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."