Author Topic: The Kickstarter Blues  (Read 49269 times)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: The Kickstarter Blues
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »
I'm definitely contributing - I can't wait to see more details, but I think a lot of people that are expecting an adventure game like Quest For Glory aren't going to dig it as much.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2012, 03:13:40 PM »
The initial reports of Hero U did not interest me at all. But when I read this interview http://mashable.com/2012/09/17/hero-u/?fb_action_ids=10101770850079077
it made me a lot more interested. Pleased that all the the visit to the dungeons have specific story purposes rather then simply levelling up.

Still would have preferred them to make an adventure / rpg of course but if it ends up being similar in game play to something like Ultima 3 then I will be well happy

As they have had time to organise thier kickstarter one thing I would like them to do is work out all the rewards well in advance. Few groups have been able to do this and it gets so messy when you add rewards to certain tiers after people have already pledged and then can't update the information.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2012, 06:46:15 PM »
Believe me, you can make a lot of plans - but don't plan a lot of results!  We were very careful in planning our rewards, and we still had to add and change things.  It happens - you have to try and plan as best you can, but sometimes things are just going to come up.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2012, 10:22:40 PM »
Believe me, you can make a lot of plans - but don't plan a lot of results!  We were very careful in planning our rewards, and we still had to add and change things.  It happens - you have to try and plan as best you can, but sometimes things are just going to come up.

You guys were a little different becuase you were initially asking for such a small amount the margins were very small. I could see that you could not add in certain rewards untill certain thresholds had been crossed. Adding extra high tier rewards is never a problem, but once groups start adding items to the lower end pledges it gets very messy about what is included at what level.  A project with a 400k budget (I know that is still a small budget for a game) should be able to plan from the beginning what they want to be included in all their under $100 rewards and I see no reason why they would need to change it.

Many teams later add things to the lower tiers that could have been their from the beginning if they had really thought it through. I know often these are done to add an extra incentive for people to up pledge, but with the inability to update the rewards I think they are better off putting the incentive on the table at the start.

QFI was one of the best kickstarters because it had a playale demo, what could the coles do to make their kickstarter stand out from the rest? What is going to be the next great marketing idea in a KS campaign.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2012, 02:02:33 AM »
We did the demo for a number of reasons, but one of the major factors was that we didn't have a classic industry "name" to hang our hat from.

Monster

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2012, 03:52:25 AM »
I think the Demo definitely helped.  It is well done and loads of fun, and had a lot of influence in my decision regarding the purchase of the game.  I also think you guys have a unique concept, and that works for you as well.

As for the Hero-U Kickstarter:  I will definitely back it.  As for how much, that depends on how I feel about the game and campaign once I see them, but they will get some of my money and support, no doubt.

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2012, 05:07:43 AM »
Having looked a little deeper into it, and watched their updates, I understand why Obsidian is having difficulty pitching the game concept to publishers.  Their concept is for a maturely themed, single-player, 90's-to-early-00's style, open-world, isometric RPG with a tactical real-time formation-based combat system.  So, basically, in not so many words, a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment.  What they do not have is the Wizards of the Coast license to use the actual Planescape setting, so it looks like it will be a generic Tolkein-esque high-fantasy setting.

Strikes against it for publishers include;  90's-style iso, mature morality themes, and the single-player focus.  These are the things, however, which endear me to the project.  Additionally, after smearing them a tiny bit here (and in person at my office as well, to my shame) for their ridiculous notion that supporting Linux costs twice as much, they went and decided to build the game using Unity3D.  Linux & Mac now come, regardless of stretch goals, and they will apparently do something else with the additional funds (replacement stretch goal at $2.2M is now TBD).  I just wish they'd done their homework up-front, rather than waiting for a full week of their Kickstarter to pass. It's almost as if most Kickstarter project creator don't actually expect their campaigns to succeed, and are completely caught off-guard when they do.

I still think feel as if they should have been able to publish through a smaller publisher (do these still exist anymore?), but I can begin to understand why a crowd-sourced solution would feel like the only way to accomplish their vision.

The more deeply I've delved into the information they've provided in their updates, the more I'm convinced that it's somewhat antithetical to the kind of concept major publishers are interested in.  For example, in their most recent update (number 7) they describe a complex system of non-combat skills, and non-combat skill points, and further, they explain that these will be fully integrated into the various quest-lines, such that one could accomplish nearly the entire game without combat.  A serious fantasy RPG in which you don't have to fight?  Another nail in the publisher coffin.  When you do fight, your brain is required for tactics and strategy? 

In another update, they wax metaphysical in their concept of souls in their invented setting, and soul interaction in the magic system they envision.  It's very Eastern-philosophy influenced, with a reincarnation mechanic, and they discuss concepts of new/old/fractured souls and what affect that may have on characters' casting skills.

So, it's not first person, it's not multiplayer, it touches religious themes outside the mainstream, when you fight, you have to use your brain, and you don't even have to freaking kill anything.  Also as of yet, there's no mention of a console.  Even Skyrim was console-ized and first-person, and it contained adult themes of morality (... I'm told, having not played it.  Still waiting on Bethesda for the Linux port  ;) ).

Does this justify the concept of using KS to fund AA game development, which this surely can be categorized as, along with the wildly successful Planetary Annihilation?  I don't even know what to think of Homestuck, with their million dollars.

I haven't yet decided the answer to that question, but I'm of two masters here, with my platform preference, and my personal preferences in games.  I feel obligated to represent my community on projects in which Linux is made a possibility, and am less choosy about those.  Project Eternity promises enough that I've decided to support it.  If they'll give Linux a chance, I'll extend them the same courtesy.

I'll admit, my support won't be in the stratosphere at which I'm backing my adventure games, especially the ones I really went deeply on (SpaceVenture, Quest for Infamy, Jack Houston, and Broken Sword 5).  Further, I'm certainly not going to work nearly as hard to cheerlead them on the internet as I did for SV, QFI and JH.  That nearly killed me  ;D
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2012, 05:13:07 AM »
Damn, S_D, I love reading your posts, man!  You have great insight into things, and you're well spoken.  Reminds me of the old days on various adventure gaming forums - you know, these kinds of chats just petered out over the years.

*blush*

Yeah, I was mostly drunk back then.  Good times...
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2012, 01:05:21 PM »
Looks like SD got me interested in Project Eternity.  The non-combat skills update sold me, though.  I have been a fan of theirs since the original Fallout and KotOR2, as well as having loved New Vegas (I have but never played their D&D games, though), so I figured that I can give a little bit to them.  Nowhere near as much as the big adventure game projects, of course.   ;)
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

DrSlash

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 727
    • buckazoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2012, 02:30:58 PM »
The non-combat skills update sold me, though.  I have been a fan of theirs since the original Fallout and KotOR2
Though they were useless in both KotORs as long as the only skill usefull for the main character was Persuation - you could always use other characters in your party to repair/hack something etc.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests".

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2012, 02:33:49 AM »
The KS Blues remain, but what is fantastic is that the Guys and Gal gave us a demo, which no one has done period.  Team Infamy took the time and effort to produce a workable demo of what the finished game will be.  Shit, shucks, or shinola thats so much MORE than others!!!!! :D
**********Chadly*********************

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2012, 06:00:22 PM »
Looks like SD got me interested in Project Eternity.  The non-combat skills update sold me, though.

That's cool, but it wasn't my intention to specifically draw new backers to a multi-million dollar Kickstarter project by a major game studio...  ;D

It was intended to be a balanced re-evaluation.  And also, I'm sort of reaching out to many project (too many projects...) in response to them reaching out to me (that is, to Linux).

That being said, my major complaints were that the size & scope of the project seemed somewhat abusive of the "spirit" of Kickstarter, and that they were ignoring Linux (I mean, jeez, isn't mitigating risk in platform porting investment part of the whole Kickstarter appeal?).  The latter has neatly been dealt with, vis a vis Unity3D version 4, and as for the former, I think Obsidian "gets" that.  Their CEO (Feargus Urquhart, the guy that tattled about the publishers "backdooring" Kickstarter monies) hops on the comment thread and chats with the little people nearly every evening (including aggressive, opinionated troll-likes), and their team is responsive to backer's comments (for example, they recently de-boob-plated some concept art due to gender representation responses by backers).

To balance my supporting that project, I'll also promote smaller, struggling projects... like I'm about to do next...

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2012, 06:01:22 PM »
I thought I'd mention another, albeit very different, action/adventure project with RPG elements, whose art direction is also intriguing and quite unique. Lots of copy/paste following here...

Papier is a game that takes place in a world of paper, sketches and ink. Where imagination and adventure are everything!

The game immerses you and your character, a boy named Papier, into a world made of paper that combines the latest of game technology with the aesthetic of hand drawn surfaces. The outdoor scene at the end of the project video demonstrates the unique look and feel of the game world.

While Papier's powers will be essential to success in this world, it is the choices you make that will have far reaching consequences for Papier, the characters he meets, and the unfolding of the world of paper.

The world and story of Papier is for those who really dig worlds of imagination and fantasy. We're super excited about the story, characters, visual style, and entertaining touches that will make this a special game to experience, and we can't wait to share it with you. If we were to mention influences to give you an idea of what to expect, they would be the work of Tim Burton, the whimsically portrayed Hans Christian Andersen (you know the one with Danny Kaye?), and Roald Dahl. You get the idea. All aboard the escapism express!

Here's a great interview with the project creators

Reddit AMA

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2012, 09:20:34 PM »
I thought I'd mention another, albeit very different, action/adventure project with RPG elements, whose art direction is also intriguing and quite unique. Lots of copy/paste following here...

Definitely unique.  And I look for unique and interesting concepts that stand out from the norm.  I've been a backer of this one since I first heard about it.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Lupin

• Lackey
  • Liked: 1
  • Magic Knight and Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2012, 06:17:56 AM »

That reminds me of Little Big Planet, and I have never played that game