Author Topic: The Kickstarter Blues  (Read 48646 times)

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
Re: The Kickstarter Blues
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2013, 01:00:54 PM »
That makes you wonder what happens to Kickstarter when someone uses it to run a scam. Even if Kickstarter is legally protected, one scam could undermine any confidence in Kickstarter.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2013, 01:32:02 PM »
There's already been several scams - there's also been legitimate projects that have just gotten in over their heads.

I really think the next two years will show the fruits of what Kickstarter has wrought.  People are all excited about it, because really - at this point (for software development) it's still all POSSIBILITY, which is exciting.  But in this next year, we'll see what kind of fruit it bears.

As a positive point, I'll mention that Phoenix Online raised money for "Cognition" with Kickstarter, and they delivered the first chapter of their game last fall.

A lot of people are skeptical about Ouya, but they've been sending out their developer consoles as of recently, so there's something on that front.

Heh - as for Lore - it's definitely become a little joke amongst the Kickstarter community.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lupin

• Lackey
  • Liked: 1
  • Magic Knight and Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2013, 02:16:37 PM »
You think that project doesn't make sense?  Get a load of this guy:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1376466869/lore 

... and when that didn't work out, did this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1376466869/lore-0

This has to be one of the weirdest things I've seen on Kickstarter, to date.

That just shows the number one rule of crowdfunding when it comes to games, if it doesn't have a demo, don't support it. If all they can show you is concept art, then they are no where near an actual game so you should not waste any time supporting it

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 01, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »
Yeah - a lot of people have supported KS games with no demo - merely concept art and a promise. 

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #109 on: January 01, 2013, 03:34:10 PM »
I've supported plenty of games without demos.  Hell, Pinkerton Road didn't even have a concept at first.  If it smells fishy I don't back it.  If it has a concept that I can get behind I'll give a little something.  If they can produce more during the Kickstarter I might even up my pledge.  You don't need to have a demo as long as you have SOMETHING to show.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2013, 08:03:56 PM »
I think you can get away without a demo if you've got prior works to back up your ability to produce your project.

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2013, 01:56:23 AM »
Heh - as for Lore - it's definitely become a little joke amongst the Kickstarter community.

Amongst the Kickstarter community?  It's definitely escaped beyond us, Blackthorne... freaking Forbes magazine picked up the story:  http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/12/17/meet-lore-the-most-entertaining-kickstarter-project-of-all-time/

Not sure I'd qualify it as "entertaining", personally.  I'd probably place it in the same category as a circus sideshows or museums of medical oddities.  :)
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2013, 08:30:55 AM »
Heh, I meant entertaining in the macabre way, heh - I like that "Side Show"... I didn't know it made it to FORBES!  Jeez.... look at all the press a crappy project gets.  Then a scrappy start-up like ours.... heh heh.  We'll make it to Forbes when we release what is sure to be one of the most amazing adventure games ever this year.

Bt