Author Topic: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.  (Read 153376 times)

Baggins

• Villain
  • Liked: 29
    • View Profile
Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.
« on: February 22, 2015, 12:21:55 PM »
You can read more about the new game from the Informer Article. It sounds like what we saw on the trailer are more 'cutscenes' than actual game itself, which will be more puzzle oriented.

You can find scans here:
http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/KQ9_development

Interesting details is it confirms the Gwendolyn as the daughter of Alexander, and Gart will be the son of Rosella.

The previous games are all canon to this game. It is not a reboot, but its also not a sequel, but a reimagining. Or rather perhaps better to say the framing story is a sequel, but each episode will each tell a separate story in the life of King Graham. It will avoid retreading any previous King's Quest game, with the exception that the first episode begins with a prologue retelling Graham's encounter with the DRagon in KQ1. But it won't be King's Quest 1 HD. THe rest of the game will flashback and have you experiencing how Graham became a knight of Daventry. Some later episodes will chronicle Graham's young romance with Valanice after returning from Kolyma. There might be an episode that relates Graham's life as a seasoned knight between when he was first accepted into the ranks, and when he became king.

Who knows what else later episodes have in store. There are five episodes planned in total. Choices made at various points will have consequences for later events in later episodes. They also influence the choices that Gwendolyn makes in her 'present' period storylines. Choices are also tied into the scoring system which divides choices into Wisdom, Bravery and Compassion.  Which means many points in the game require one of the three choices to be made depending on those factors. Choices are not done through conversation trees, but through physical actions that Graham takes in the environment. So they are themselves usually item puzzles.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 12:02:05 PM »
"single context-sensitive button"

Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 12:46:11 PM »
HAHA. 

At the same time, KQ7 had the same thing except you could move the cursor.  I am seeing this as either the interaction spot can cycle around the room which would be terrible, or interactions will be based on physical location of the player.  Either way, it doesn't sound great. 

I am still going to reserve judgement until I play it.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 02:42:33 PM »
It sounds like they're going for a Grim Fandango style of interactivity, where you can only interact with things in close proximity to the player character.  This would certainly be the preferable option, of the two that you mentioned, but I can't help but find it ironically amusing that everyone is lauding the Odd Gentlemen for copying the control style of a game that has always been majorly criticized for its controls.   ::)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 04:41:37 PM »
I have not seen that much lauding to be honest.  Just descriptions.  Korba lauds, but then again, he is making the game.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 03:12:09 PM »
It sounds like they're going for a Grim Fandango style of interactivity, where you can only interact with things in close proximity to the player character.  This would certainly be the preferable option, of the two that you mentioned, but I can't help but find it ironically amusing that everyone is lauding the Odd Gentlemen for copying the control style of a game that has always been majorly criticized for its controls.   ::)

Kinda funny given the PC version of the grim fandango remake added in a point and click mouse cursor.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 09:47:15 AM »
I really don't care.  I know they're not producing a King's Quest game that is going to make any of us happy, but it may be a fun game in spite of that.  I had that optimistic hope when "Sierra" was announced that they might support indie traditional adventure games, but that isn't their business model.  So I take it for what it is, and I never in my mind think of it as "Sierra", just someone using the brand.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 12:55:47 PM »

And the interface is the only complaint that I have ever heard about Grim Fandango. It certainly was the only one I had.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »
This thread is the reason adventure games as a genre tread the fine line between art and being mocked.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

DosboxLetsPlay

• Villain
  • Liked: 72
  • Hero of Gloriana
    • DosboxLetsPlay
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/dosboxletsplay
    • View Profile
  • Favorite Game: Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 02:44:09 AM »
I had a fairly negative attitude towards it when we got the first sneak-peek, but now that I've seen the recent new footage I am somewhere in the middle ground. Yes it won't be like we want it to be, but I saw (which seemed to be) some pretty decent deaths and awesome deaths/death messages is one of the things I loved the most in Sierra games. :)
"Ha ha! Little graveyard humor there!"

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 07:33:14 AM »
You would hope they would go the new grim fandango route for PC controls at least.  Let the consoles have their controls and add the mouse cursor for PC.  I get that it is being made as a console game, but they can relatively easily add the extra PC controls. 

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 08:46:12 AM »
The problem with deaths in adventure games is they're pretty much dead since Sierra packed and left the building. Pun intended.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 11:00:05 AM »
I'll say this - it looks like a cool game!  Really - it's fun, well designed and full of nice looking art.

But as a "King's Quest"?  I almost feel like the name is a weight around the neck of this game, rather than a boon.

Bt

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 12:23:13 PM »
The name "King's Quest" is a big, milk-heavy teat hanging down from on high, with the Odd Gentlemen's fingers tightly wrapped around its raw nipple, as Activision impatiently waits with open slathering mouth below.

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 12:44:20 PM »
It's just not safe to eat lunch while reading these forums anymore. I'll go ahead and pass it straight to Brooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"