Author Topic: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.  (Read 153391 times)

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
Re: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.
« Reply #330 on: March 24, 2017, 11:50:55 PM »
I still maintain that it was a great tribute to the original series with many nods and winks to what came before and in some cases full out homages. I wasn't happy with all of it, but I was happy enough overall to enjoy myself and smile knowing that, even if only for a short time and maybe even not really in its truest form, King's Quest was a thing again. If it helps you, don't think of it as canon. But it wasn't something like what Telltale would have brutalized King's Quest with. It's a similar approach, but Telltale's meddling hands would have destroyed it a lot more than TOG "did" (I don't agree they did).

Also, this is coming from someone who was a member of the KQ3Redux team, for whatever that's worth.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #331 on: March 25, 2017, 07:40:43 AM »
I didn't feel too much for it when it came out, but I've recently played it all again the last few days and I kinda like it now. I've gotta remove from my head the way adventure games were in the 80's/90's because it's not one of those. I truly love the art in the game and the voice pack is second to none for an adventure game (I think only the original Gabriel Knight comes close). Where it falls for me is the characterisation of Graham into a more Guybrush character, but then I think, you know, Graham in the original games kinda sucked so they needed to do something. Graham was a cardboard cutout I AM A KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR figure in the classic games, and that really wouldn't work in immersive storytelling which adventure games are now. I just wish they'd gone less comic, more heroic. Alexander in KQ6 was much more fully formed but Graham never was. I mean he never even blinked when his entire castle was missing!

I've changed my mind a fair bit about TellTale games too over the last year or so. Tales from the Borderlands was the best adventure I've played in years. Game of Thrones was pretty good too. They're not what they were, they're sorta an offshoot of what we used to play (and what I make) but I like them.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

roeadventue32

• Villain
  • Liked: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 25, 2017, 10:30:12 AM »
Guys I am not saying that a new thing cannot be good in its own right, but that if you remake a thing or adapt it be true to the spirt of it. When agdi did it like in kq2 remake, they added tons of content and reworked part 1,2, and 3 into something in keeping with the original but only more so.

I liked the way they expanded king Ghram. Its true he bit the big one in the cedric game I hated his attitude tword his son. I preferred agdi's king ghram. I loved sierras original Rosella and Alexander, but king Ghram was re-imagened best by agdi.

King ghram was a noble, his children were aristocratic, more so Rosella, did you see her at her brothers wedding? They were already approachable enough, because the whole family are also adventurers and very good natured. Noble both by blood and by nature.

They cant leave the concept of a fairy tale king and his family alone. I like the approach agdi had in giving it more meaning, it still had the fairytale touch but was not as random.

I was fascinated by the whole first mage sub-plot and the lore of the royal lines heritage they added. With legenimor, and the father...classic deft touch.

Complete with subtle yet punny serria style humor. Tradmark tombstone messages and everything.

I say take that new age dribble and stuff it. Its ooc. I very much liked the way they handled Conor and king Ghrams response in the cloud spirit cut scenes. It was very much in character for a old king in that traditional setting...and player choice as well.

From kq2 romancing the stones: ''King Ghram could not help but smirk, for one who so recently lived as a peasant, he speaks extraordinarily well'' that says it all, when you consider he also did knight him and make him next in line. Thats just the right and in character thing.

Even as it broke the ancient bloodline leading back to the first king. As such, Daventry legacy is broken by the fathers curse.

It would make sense that daventry should lose some of its magic, golden acorns as such, because legenimor enchanted it and the pacts broken, magic undone. Thats the way it gos in fairy tail realms.
I am a one note man, I play it all I can.

roeadventue32

• Villain
  • Liked: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 25, 2017, 06:43:26 PM »
Look sorry, I might have been a little hard on the game, if it was a new game, and not tied to a classic favorite, I would have been complementary. Mostly because there are precious few games along these lines.  I am looking forward to the final version of mages initiation anyway.

I am a fan of everything, agdi has done except the western comedy game...which was more annoying than funny.

The last point and click that gave me good natured laughs while having fun was quest for infamy, but that is the limit of how far I will go with comedy for what Roem was he was an interesting enough guy, and it was still a real game.

''fish on the wall cracked me up royally for some insane reason''. Also Prospero.
I am a one note man, I play it all I can.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #334 on: March 28, 2017, 12:18:08 PM »
I completely agree about staying true to the rules which are already set. Otherwise, why bother playing in someone else's world?

I think Graham could have been expanded a bit, not in the way TOG did though. He's not a hyperactive child. He's a King and before that a Knight. So episode one was before he became a Knight but he still had to show that character to become one. It's just my thoughts and they're worth very little, but I'd have made him an earnest young man who's super serious all the time to the point of fault. Have him develop into a more rounded character as time goes on. That would tie in with the changes his personality went through in the classic games. I'm just spit balling here.

I like AGDI's stuff. I don't like the need to tie everything together into one over-arching story though. Sometimes bad stuff just happens and to be honest, the only really "random" bad thing in the classic series is Alexander being kidnapped. 3-4 flow together, 5-6 flow together.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."