Author Topic: You know what really ticks me off?  (Read 46120 times)

nameless

• Forever At The Bottom of the Totem Pole
  • Villain
  • Liked: 54
    • View Profile
You know what really ticks me off?
« on: December 09, 2014, 02:14:49 PM »
I'm using windows 7 64 bit. Today I allowed windows to update. All of a sudden, I couldn't connect to the internet because a message said I had limited access??? Uninstalled todays updates, rebooted, now everything is just fine. I don't think I'll accept any more updates, ever, except for anti virus updates.
Lynda Carter, Wonder Woman, once sent me autographed photos that put me on cloud nine. The photos are on my living room wall.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Re: You know what really ticks me off?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 03:36:30 PM »
Until it stops working because the update you're running is no longer supported. Love Windows lol
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 10:12:15 PM »
Sounds like it may have updated your NIC driver, firewall or something to do with the TCP/IP stack. Did you even try to reboot after the update? In most cases that will get you back online.

As to not running the updates, that is a very bad idea. Many of the updates are to address security holes or stability issues. It is just asking for trouble.

nameless

• Forever At The Bottom of the Totem Pole
  • Villain
  • Liked: 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:19:39 PM »
Rebooted, etc. A time or two, something changed internet security options "Download files" and "Download Fonts" to disabled. The Dec. 9, 2014 updates are quite possibly bad files from the source. After I uninstall the updates for that date, everything is back to normal.

So I'm wondering if that is a ms agenda to force sales of W8. Nah, probably not.
Anyone know, who actually tried, if Arx Libertatis/Fatalis does ok on windows 8?
Lynda Carter, Wonder Woman, once sent me autographed photos that put me on cloud nine. The photos are on my living room wall.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 03:52:43 PM »
no retro games like win 8 and soon win 8 will be the only MS supported OS

saying you wont install updates other than antivirus = bad

1. the av that is called WINDOWS DEFENDER, is crap, its pointless and does nothing.. updating it is fine, but you miss the critical patches to block hijacks and such

2. there was a recent update that blocked hijacks from all networks, phones, pcs networks, cable, forums
steam, skype etc.. all hijacked due to an exploit in win7 AND 8
so 8 isnt better security wise, in fact its worse,

win 8 blows, but yes very soon win7 will not be a supported os

as for the update issues, I can tell you this happens often and its NOT microsoft, its your pc, and how the updates are stored, there are ways to delete not just the updates but the failed or predled files that will help more than uninstalling every damned update (you NEED THOSE)
NEVER install OPTIONAL UPDATES  this is KEY

also if you have a firewall, like norton or a router/firewall DISABLE MS FIREWALL, even MS says that

also what is ur page file set to
hiberfile set to

i set mine to almost nothing and no hibernation
this saves loads of mem and hd space and helps with updates also

hit me up

this helps my mind, but please trust me?

win9 whatever it will end up being named will be ZERO backwards compatible, win 8 is barely  win 7 has some xp in it, win 8 doesnt not vs 7 and 9 will have NO support for this as dx11-12 will be required only no support for 9 of 10 or older vers of dx..
PERIOD
that means no old games without VMWARE or virtual machines

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 05:38:08 PM »
That is only for the free Win 7 extended support, meaning that no more feature updates. Critical updates will continue till 2020 and the extended support will still be available via paid subscription.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 06:46:30 PM »
Windows 10 will be out in the next couple of years which by all accounts is very nice. No idea how backwards compatible it'll be but meh, someone always comes up with a workaround.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 06:42:16 AM »
as for the compat and updates vs support yes, thats what I meant

as for win next gen will have no backwards DX compat from what Ive read though that could change

as of now no old games will work on it though, none, just emulation in VMWARES

sad  but true, its forcing all to get new new cards, if they dont have them already, and that change will mess up so much, trust me on that. (at least in terms of playing old games)
they are going the way of the console on us pc users, zero backwards compat.
sick.. sad.. etc

:(

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 07:50:37 AM »
The "zero backwards compatibility" issue to me is really a non-issue.  Older programs were not made to run on new hardware.  I don't think new operating systems that are designed to optimize the newest hardware should have to bend over to make it so older programs work.  I know it is really nice when that does all pan out, but it shouldn't be the responsibility of Microsoft or whoever to do it.  As for consoles, if a gamer wants to play their XBOX 360 games, they should keep their old console.  There is nothing wrong with that.  I don't expect my NES games to play on my SNES, or gamecube, etc.  When Nintendo made the Wii backwards compatible with the gamecube, it was more because the gamecube was a flop and they wanted to be able to sell existing gamecube software.  It made gamers realize that hey this can actually be possible.  Just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean that it should be done.  I see it this way, if I want to be able to play my old games, I should keep an old computer (or console) for that purpose.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 08:55:50 AM »
Sony did it first with the PS2, it was backwards compatible to PS1 games.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 10:09:13 AM »
The "zero backwards compatibility" issue to me is really a non-issue.  Older programs were not made to run on new hardware.  I don't think new operating systems that are designed to optimize the newest hardware should have to bend over to make it so older programs work.  I know it is really nice when that does all pan out, but it shouldn't be the responsibility of Microsoft or whoever to do it.  As for consoles, if a gamer wants to play their XBOX 360 games, they should keep their old console.  There is nothing wrong with that.  I don't expect my NES games to play on my SNES, or gamecube, etc.  When Nintendo made the Wii backwards compatible with the gamecube, it was more because the gamecube was a flop and they wanted to be able to sell existing gamecube software.  It made gamers realize that hey this can actually be possible.  Just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean that it should be done.  I see it this way, if I want to be able to play my old games, I should keep an old computer (or console) for that purpose.

A cant agree at all mate

backwards compat is needed, most old consoles break and cost so much more than they are worth to fix,
yes I can fix most consoles old wise, but some no,
and no ps2 wasnt the first thing to do backwards compat but close, lol
urm, then there is like the WII I own with GC ports and mem slots  when the rest of the WII has no GC anything,
ps3 series 001 and 002 play 50-70% of games, and here is the point, some games were to powerful to run on ps2, and ps3 is needed to play those old games
and how can you dis, backwards compat in pc terms are you saying to keep each old PC and cards and os's thats .. kinda nuts man.. I mean most of those parts are broken by now, and replacing them costs more than that is worth hence torrents and emulation

xbox has NEVER done backwards compat to my knowledge, or minor if any
one odd ver of snes in russia played SEGA master and NES games.. these are needed imo sorry
the only REASON that console arent backwards compatible is due to compaines trying to lure us back in to RE BUYING the games we already own, and trust me mate thats NOT ok..
again im a collector, so most of my ps2 games are sealed and such, but i have thousands of games and my ps2's well ive fixed them so many times they just dont read, so i am forced to emulate on pc and NOW thats going to go away soon.. no no

sorry I really 100% disagree,  the only reason sony got rid of backwards compat in the beginning was for cost reduction, due to the high blue ray pointless cost, they just shoulda made one with no blue ray called OLE SCHOOL ver,

anyway, lets not confuse backwards consoles to pc,  thats why pcs are different, and now with new os we cant run anything, trust that.. oh so yea im sooo sure the masses know how to run VMWARES or dual boot.. nope..
so they force ya to rebuy digitall the games you own.. no no.. this isnt ok :(

and GC wasnt a total flop mate, where did you get that, i love my GC more than xbox 1 or really any xbox, more games on it minus the xbox one now which is putting out decent games (but ill never buy into new consoles ever again not after all the bs they are doing)

shrug

I cant change your view, but old things need not die, and most never come back we NEED the option to play the old games we OWN.
period.

:) love you still tho chucklas
btw I got the ripper and that doesnt work so well, but it was from the site bt mentioned they let me dl it premium after a post about it to the dj guy.

anyway, I cant think of the game on ps2 that didnt run well, you had a sword (wanna say shadows of colossus. it just CHUGGED and on my ps3 it ran RIGHT AS RAIN and clean, period, no emulator would run it well, and to say oh lets wait for ps4 and rebuy all the ps1 2 and 3 games is just sick to me.

im not down with this digital era at all,
i want to hold what I buy and smell it like a new vinyl record, or should i just get the ITUNES vs my vinyl with the same paradigm of backwards compat not needing to exist (then all record players should be dumped on that logic etc)

love you all, trying to cope and sorry if this post seemed harsh
im a bit, out of it  and on top of things SICK again ahh
I get sick like 5 times in 2 months. grr
stress sucks

HUGS
 :'(

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 11:26:42 AM »
Sony did it first with the PS2, it was backwards compatible to PS1 games.

Fair enough.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 11:44:15 AM »
My point about PC and backwards compatibility is that as the hardware changes, the software has to change as well.  That is why we get new operating systems.  It just doesn't look like video games because there aren't official releases for the next generation PC.  That doesn't change the fact that certain older programs just wont work with new hardware.  It isn't Microsoft's fault that this is the case.  So what ends up happening is that emulation is necessary to get older software to run.  This is true with video game systems as well.  The consoles that provide backwards compatibility (xbox 360 does in fact play xbox games as well) do it through emulating the older consoles.  That is why they do not work perfectly with all games.  I just don't see why they should have to do this.  No one complained when SNES came out and you couldn't play the NES games on it.  Consumers tend to demand too much when it isn't profitable for a company.  If it costs too much to develop a feature, and the feature isn't considered profitable, then I see no reason why they should include it.  Now, the argument can be made that more people will buy a new console/OS if it has the features that they want, etc.  But the question becomes, how many people are not willing to upgrade due to the lack of that specific feature.  Then business decisions get made.  Plain and simple.  I am not saying that backwards compatibility is bad, in fact I wish my xbox one would play my 360 and original xbox games.  I would love it if it did.  But I cannot demand they provide that feature.  I can request it and hope it happens (then have hinted it is currently being worked on).  But I also know that if I want technology and games, etc to continue to advance, the businesses behind them must remain profitable.

Btw, the gamecube only sold about 20 million units.  As a whole, that is a flop for its generation on consoles.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 11:58:24 AM »
I'm still waiting for the punch-card port of QFI.   >:(

Or at least the schematics so I can arrange my vacuum tube connections correctly...

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 01:01:37 PM »
haha punch cards

and yea chuklas to that degree im with ya, on the pc, and the sales for GC though I love GC games more than the damned wii

and even the WII U was sold originally as promising to have wii game compatibility and did for a few versions and special editions like the zelda one I own,
but yea, my point is that there should be something in all pcs and consoles that at least have legacy stuff
again the ps2 and ps3 DID, until ps3 removed to try to lower costs and it worked, selling double the xbox one units (though that will change come xmas)

and i was one of those people that demanded they make nes to play on snes (and in russia they did have a system kinda like the one im linking below that played ALL cartridge systems.
The one im linking is new but the other originally in russia was OLD and the only ver they had at the time  didnt play GB stuff but did play SEGA and NES SNES..
but again with ps1 and 2 most rpgs had cross over saves, which both consoles were NEEDED to do that..
anyway I do agree with your last post though, its not something to demand its just my wish and hope they would allow legacy and keeping old games alive, there is a huge market in it in this era now. So IT IS profitable!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/16fc/?itm=customlabel0Electronics_%26_Gadgets_|_Console_%26_Portable_Gaming&rkgid=1453727955&cpg=ogplahe1&source=google_home_electronics&adpos=1o1&creative=50718230445&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CJTjxZrY0sICFUGUfgodRVsAKA