Author Topic: You know what really ticks me off?  (Read 46548 times)

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
Re: You know what really ticks me off?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 09:14:51 AM »
Actually, the PS3 plays PS1 games too.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Baggins

• Villain
  • Liked: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 11:19:34 AM »
I don't think companies should bend over backwards to make new operating systems backwards compatible.

It would however be nice if they made legacy operating systems public domain (and 'use at your own risk'). Like Windows 3.11, Windows 95, and maybe even Windows XP at this point. Offer free downloads of them through a 'virtual pc' setup, that runs within the modern machines. Or even offer it at a small 'licencing fee'. Maybe allow it to be packaged into old games that companies would like to sell again. Journeyman Project 1 for example requires a file that's only compatible with Windows 3.11 to perhaps Windows XP, no one has found a work around to make that file work standalone to be used in modern systems (msvideo.dll).

I understand Mac released some of their oldest operating system versions for free, including any needed roms, etc?

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 11:24:19 AM »
Actually, the PS3 plays PS1 games too.

Yes, and no.

If you have first generation you can play most PS1 games IIRC? From the original disks.

With later versions you are limited to what gets released via the PS Network. BTW Suikoden II was released a couple of weeks ago! So glad I didn't have to pay a mint to finally play that game!

Of course PS2 has all but been stripped from later PS3s, and very few companies releasing updated versions on PSN. Sony won't sell the digital emulator which has 80% compatibility rate on the latest models (which was a packed in to the second generation models). However, apparently people who have jail broken their PS3s say that the emulator works very well with the latest PS3s, and is good for most of the well known games. Again its probably a marketing thing, Sony probably thinks they can make money by selling the games digitally, or in enhanced 'remakes'.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »
and even the WII U was sold originally as promising to have wii game compatibility and did for a few versions and special editions like the zelda one I own,
but yea, my point is that there should be something in all pcs and consoles that at least have legacy stuff
again the ps2 and ps3 DID, until ps3 removed to try to lower costs and it worked, selling double the xbox one units (though that will change come xmas)

As far as I know I know doesn't most of the Wii-u still have backwards compatibility? I know I bought one recently, one of the black "Deluxe" 32gb editions (that came with New Super Mario Bros Wii), has Wii compatibility.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 01:26:27 PM »
no sir
as of a a year after launch only SPECIAL models have WII backwards compat

dont believe me? call a game store and ask about them

the last one made was the zelda limited edition one, just recently and it was the last in the line for ever playing wii games..

they want us to buy the wii games over the network on the wii u its total bs
sorry true though

and also, nintendo has claimed the wii u a bigger flop than the gamecube and wii..
already abandoning it..
shrug

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 02:06:45 PM »
There must be lots of those Deluxe Wii-U with New Super Mario BRos then, because I just got one about 4 months ago, and one for my sister a couple of months ago. It I can assure this version is Wii compatible, as I've been playing my backlog of Wii games last few months.

One through Amazon,  and the other from Wallmart. About $300 each.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Wii-Deluxe-Set-Super-U/dp/B00G0OYHCW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1419188736&sr=8-7&keywords=new+super+mario+wii-u

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »
As for the next system don't know when they plan on releasing it. But several games this year were huge successes, and actually coincided with people buying the system to play it... In particular the new Super Smah Bros.

OF course the really big game everyone is waiting for is the new Zelda game which doesn't come out until next Christmas.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/11/nintendo-wii-u-bouncing-back/

It's not nearly the 'money hole' it looked to be, and they are starting to go 'positive' as far as making money  on the products. I only bought one recently because of Mario Kart 8 and a few other upcoming games. There wasn't anything on it up tell now that I was even remotely interested in.

Actually at this point trying to release yet a new system, when there isn't so much of a market for it, would probably be the worst choice on their end. Who wants to spend another $300-500 dollars in such a short period of time, when there are other great consoles out there for competition?. I finally just got around to getting a PS3 to go back over some games from the last generation I missed. I don't plan on going to nextgen for a while (I do have PC which can handle most nextgen games), and will only buy PS4 later for the exclusives.

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 02:25:40 PM »
Also all the Wii U websites in US and UK are still advertising the Wii-U as having the Wii backwards compatibility mode.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Wii-U/Hardware-Features/Backwards-compatibility/Backwards-compatibility-736682.html

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/features/

I can't find any information concerning any models that don't have this software based emulator.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 04:44:33 PM »
My Wii-U (it was a day one black 32GB model) is backwards compatible.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 07:11:25 PM »
the first few models are wii compatible,
then there are the deluxe and special versions , after that no standard wii u is backward compatible

call a gamestore or just trust me :)

its ok if yas dont believe me, im REALLY used to that, just call a game store and say hey are there wii u models that dont play wii games now? what up? they will tell ya, i just had to make sure the ver i got DID play em, as 2 models they had didnt only the zelda wii u did

last i looked the zelda wicked awesome wii u limited ed played it but im sure other deluxe or special vers play em too, just trying to point out they are ceasing, period..

and yea as for the ps3 or whatever, no only the first 2 models and a few rare ones play ps1 and p2 games rare
even those only play about 80% of the ps2 and ps1 games too..
not 100%  there is a graph somewhere that says the issues with which games
but thats just 2 models and then a few here and there, then poof gone to reduce cost, which worked.. but imo taking blue ray out to me woulda been fine, and 150$ cheaper at the time,
blue ray haha
a joke that is, i mean its like saying we still use floppies, and where  did HD audio cds go? gone.. vinyl is back and again all pcs and consoles SHOULD be retro/legacy compatible, thats just how id do it.
or , buy all ips and revamp but the 1st way is much more simple..
emulate, on the consoles, simple!

same with pcs emulate like hardware as most games DO that are old and working,
dont erase old dx9 pre and d3d etc  install midi legacy stuff, all sorts of junk oh and load my mouse into himem i only have 512kb ram! haha  loadhigh lh=mouse himem.sys plss lol oh the days when 1MB of ram was 52$ usd haha

ahem 

Baggins

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 07:26:40 PM »
I'd have more trust to Nintendo's advertising and announcements than 'rumor mills' from game store owners. It would be false advertising to claim wii compatibility in their advertising which they still do. If they have actually stripped it.

Sony was very up front about the fact that later models stopped having compatibility, and which models stopped having them.

Also Nintendo is still selling wii compatible peripherals due to the fact that many Wii-U games take advantage of them as well.

However, I do know last generation Wiis removed gamecube compatibility. So at some point they might remove Wii compatibility out of these systems as well. But they will probably be clear when they actually unroll the process. But all systems I see out right now the boxes advertise the compatibility as 'a feature'. If its not actually there then it would false advertising.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 07:40:43 PM »
I've got the last generation PS3 (I bought it literally a month before the PS4 came out, old one died to a child) and it still plays my PS1 games (the first three Crash Bandicoots, and first Tekken game). I don't know if that means it's backwards compatible or not for everything but I don't plan on buying more PS1 games so I don't care.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 08:17:04 PM »
klytos you are mixing up the ps2 emulator for the ps1

as far as i know all ps3's play ps1 games, just not ps2 games, dare ya to stick a ps2 game in

again I can point out a graph of which models play what, but I would think trust shouldnt be an issue

"This list is updated as new PS3 firmware editions are released by Sony. The 40GB, 80GB re-release, 160GB, and the slim version of the PS3 are not officially backwards compatible with PS2 games because all hardware chips from the former console are omitted and there is no software emulation; however, a chipped method is available. This not only voids the users warranty of the system but also decreases the life of the system as the chip is known to overheat various system components. However, all versions of the PS3 are able to play PS1 games."

we are talking ps2 mate, only 2 models play ps2 games, and thats nottta cool, why play ps1 but not ps2? shrug, got meeeeeeeee
oh right needed to cut 50$ out of the price,, shrug, now the consoles are worth 22$ if sold to gamestop, not a joke, its kinda sick, ps3 for 22 bucks no thanks ill keep my doorstop
lol

anyway yea sorry i didnt mean to say it didnt play ps1 games just it didnt play ps2 games, hence playing ps1 games is pointless since 90% of the jrpgs had crossover games which needs ps1 and ps2

ahh the days

oh I was wrong 3 models play ps2 games
lol

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/232

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »
I'd have more trust to Nintendo's advertising and announcements than 'rumor mills' from game store owners. It would be false advertising to claim wii compatibility in their advertising which they still do. If they have actually stripped it.

Sony was very up front about the fact that later models stopped having compatibility, and which models stopped having them.

Also Nintendo is still selling wii compatible peripherals due to the fact that many Wii-U games take advantage of them as well.

However, I do know last generation Wiis removed gamecube compatibility. So at some point they might remove Wii compatibility out of these systems as well. But they will probably be clear when they actually unroll the process. But all systems I see out right now the boxes advertise the compatibility as 'a feature'. If its not actually there then it would false advertising.

urmm again, wii u's already are cutting out the wii games,
periodo,
I was lucky to get a rare wii also, not that its a great console but it had its fun, mine has the 4 ports on top and a n64 pack bundle thing that plugs into it, so you can play n64 games by pluggin in another part to it, its quite awesome. or was,  lol wii stopped working and i stopped making the special screwdrivers out of bic pens and lighters (its how i fix all nintendo products !) cheaper than the tools :)