Author Topic: Designing the IQ logo  (Read 11957 times)

Broomie

• Chief Administrator
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 581
    • https://www.facebook.com/brooomie
    • broomie
    • https://twitter.com/jbroomie/
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/JBroomie
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
Designing the IQ logo
« on: January 18, 2014, 07:12:38 AM »
So I wanted to talk about the IQ logo and how it was designed. We wanted something that combined 'Quest' with 'Point and Click' as that described us perfectly, but it had to be sleek too. With Infamous Adventures we had the moon and that was our thing, we didn't own the moon but we were a small amateur game company and thought it looked cool. With Infamous Quests we needed a new look, theme and vision - plus if we adopted the moon again under a commercial company I fear Dreamworks might sue us or something as they apparently own the moon - and boys that fish.

Originally I proposed that we went the Blizzard route and have a logo that was big, stylistic and in your face. Let's not be minimalistic I thought, let's have a big, cool logo. So this was the first draft of the IQ logo.

It had a style to it, but it wasn't sleek. And there wasn't that much to it that was really unique. Having a swirl as your logo has been overdone and nothing about it suggested we make point and click adventure games. We could be a company that makes Candy Quest Saga or something.

So I had to design a logo which was sleek but linked to point and click adventure games and quests. With Quest for Infamy it was difficult to picture something that could be sleek but be medieval and bloody. Steve Jobs and Jonathan Ive could even struggle coming up with an idea.  Not comparing myself but just saying that sleek and medieval quests don't really go hand in hand.

Therefore, I googled a few images of medieval wares and found a shield. Online, not in real life but I wouldn't be surprised if my brother bought one of the internet or something. There was nothing special about this shield, the only inspiration it did for the logo was that it was a shield and gave me the idea to base it off of that. So I created the first initial draft of what we use today.

Not sure why I put the ribbon in, it was something that just stuck. But we all agreed that this was the route we wanted to pursue and were off to a good start. So we had nailed down the 'Quest' look with the shield, and obviously our name, but how do we show point and click adventure?

The first idea I had from this template was to turn the shield into a computer mouse with a wire that gradually faded. Unfortunately I don't have any drafts of that and as much as I tried to accomplish this design it just never came out right. It was hard to tell if it was a mouse and the sleekness of the logo kind of decreased as well. So instead of that I created an emblem on the shield, if we weren't going to use the mouse we could use a mouse pointer instead.

Tried to make it a bit sleeker too but decided against it as I thought too much was going on.

Now, I just want to put it on record that I'm not a professional graphic designer. I never studied it at school nor do it for a living so everything has been self taught. Despite designing the logo I wanted to put it in the hands of a professional to look over and make adjustments to it.

We sent the logo to Eriq Chang, graphic designer, lover of all adventure games and apart of the Hero-U team. We sent the logo to Eriq to see what he could do to make it stand out more and to clean it up a bit. This is what we got back and is the logo you all know and love today. Well, maybe not love but we like it.

Anyway, that was the exciting story behind the creation of the IQ logo. It won't be adapted into any films or TV dramas as far as I'm aware but it's always nice to know the background of these sorts of things whether it's a logo, a design choice or character's attire. That's all folks.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Re: Designing the IQ logo
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:31:36 PM »
Thanks for the post, Broomie.  As an amateur (VERY amateur) graphics designer, I'm always fascinated to see the progress of pictures, logos and typefaces as they move toward the finished versions.

And the swash / road leading off into the distance on the shield was a brilliant touch -- "Adventure is only a click away"...

Here's my pixel version of the terrific logo (and a smoother one):

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 10:29:16 AM »
I wanna walk along that path <3
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 11:46:34 AM »
So that's what it is. I'll be honest here, I thought it was a shield with a face looking to the right. With a creepy Joker-like smile.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 12:03:43 PM »
So that's what it is. I'll be honest here, I thought it was a shield with a face looking to the right. With a creepy Joker-like smile.

Can't it be both?
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Broomie

• Chief Administrator
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • broomie
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 12:59:29 PM »

Ha yeah I had noticed that too, it's something I can't unsee now either. Infact seeing that face gave me a bit of inspiration in designing the Kickstart Ventures logo.

"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 01:06:25 PM »
Is it ironic that I like the Kickstart-Ventures logo far more, and yet that was the one that you, the self-professed non-professional, designed---as opposed to the IQ logo, which passed through professional design hands?  :)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 01:29:17 PM »

I'm not sure if that what it was intended to be, but that's what I imagined it was: a path you see in an adventure game, and you click the mouse to start your journey...

...And now _I_ can't help seeing the creepy character face in the shield!  Thanks a lot, Intendant S!   >:(   ;D

Broomie

• Chief Administrator
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • broomie
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 01:50:12 PM »
Is it ironic that I like the Kickstart-Ventures logo far more, and yet that was the one that you, the self-professed non-professional, designed---as opposed to the IQ logo, which passed through professional design hands?  :)

Thanks! Funnily enough I think one of your Facebook profile photos was a bit of inspiration for the moustache. ;)

As for Infamous Quests, it seemed like a good idea to have a professional graphic designer take on the logo. We were a new company, had an upcoming Kickstarter campaign and wanted to make sure everything was done right. I was happy to finish off the logo but I agreed that having it passed to a professional would be good for the company. The logo for KickstartVentures is more fun which is why it might be more preferred whereas the IQ logo had to retain a level of integrity and quality and for that you sometimes have to call the experts in. Saying that, if we were to redesign the IQ logo sometime in the distant future then I'm sure I'd do that and see it through to the end.

And Goatmeal, thanks for the awesome words. I never pictured it has a road leading into the distance so I may have to use that from now on! And your pixel version is great! I'll have a word with Matthew Oates, designer of the Quest for Infamy logo, to see if he could help contribute a similar article of that logo's progress.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 03:26:43 PM »
...And now _I_ can't help seeing the creepy character face in the shield!  Thanks a lot, Intendant S!   >:(   ;D

You're quite welcome.   ;D

I also like the KSV logo more. I love the moustache, monocle, & tophat on the mouse.   8)

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 05:02:59 PM »
Thanks! Funnily enough I think one of your Facebook profile photos was a bit of inspiration for the moustache. ;)

Now THAT is truly an honor.  Ha!  Awesome.

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »
Odins beard, I just realised how much it looks like an evil pacman
When you're a farrier you need to know these things

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 01:07:40 AM »

My work here is done.  ;)

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 01:33:30 AM »

My work here is done.  ;)

Fiend, of course this makes the ghosts the good guys
When you're a farrier you need to know these things

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 12:27:41 PM »
I'm just seeing this now, but thanks for posting! I enjoyed learning of the progression of a great logo!