Author Topic: A Lament for Adventure Games  (Read 9955 times)

7crossroads

• Recruit
  • Liked: 3
    • View Profile
Re: A Lament for Adventure Games
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2020, 10:38:54 PM »
Well.. i am a new fan of the classic adventure genre..
Used to play all sorts of games..but i started to feel the  special flavour in this. Most games make me feel a bit agitaded..i had just abandoned them because life is agitated enough.
But adventure games makes me feel relaxed..the immersive experience, focus on observation skills and deduction, and the storytelling. Its sad, i just entered the room and discovered its a sort of dying hobbie.....
I dont know why you guys like this genre, but for me i found this kinds of benefits..maybe a lot of people out there would
enjoy this too, even if it is a niche thing...probably people who likes more relax paced or even introspective hobbies like
 literature..some kinds of music (like prog rock, etc)...i think all kinds of stuff like that are suffering because they are commercially more difficult and people maybe even have not the time to a more peaceful hobbie.

Anyways, iam playing quest for infamy and enjoiyng a lot, thank you for the game and hoping things gonna be better sometime.

Sorry for bad english

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 01:25:45 AM »
Brother, just glad you like adventure games and you like ours!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 06:31:56 PM »
hehe welcome matey

yeah the classic ole school advents
when the internet didnt exist  was mind racking

Sierra online even made a HINT HOTLINE number (you could dial this in some of their games too)
they charged 4$ a minute for hints on parser and click games

LOL

and Lucasarts games well  use everything on everything was the motto
kinda like a tester should

sierras motto
"save early save often"  actually came FROM the coders writing the code\
they just felt it fit in with dying alot in game too!

so games that would or could take weeks or months to beat 
today kids dont want it or it hurts their heads
so they google and beat said games in about 30 min to 1hr

mark darin at ttg's  made his games there with no inv combos just due to the new age kids not understanding
as most of the games required you to mix very odd inv items together.
sam n max example

yep yep

ahh the days of hint books and pay hint lines

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Nowhere Girl

• Recruit
  • Liked: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2020, 03:18:51 AM »
Oldschool adventure games are still being made! I still prefer them, particularly the "quest" type and, of course, with pixel graphics, but it's just not true that the genre is dead.
"FoxTail"!
"The Crimson Diamond"!
"Zniw Adventure"!
"Incantamentum"!
"Feria d'Arles" and "Bull Out of Arles"!
"Betrayed Alliance" (EGA! Text parser! And even made on SCI engine!)!
"Cascadia Quest"!
"Watch Over Christmas"!
"Rosewater"!
"Future Flashback"!
"Darkside Detective"!
"If on a Winter's Night, Four Travellers..."!
"Inspector Waffles"!
"Nine Noir Lives"!
"Born Punk"!
"Theropods"!
"Plot of the Druid"!
"Billy Masters Was Right"!
"Urban Witch Story"!
"Brassheart"!
"The Adventures of Black Hawk"!
"Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure"!
"Backbone"!
Even the new Leisure Suit Larrys (I rather enjoyed them despite being an asexual woman who fully excludes the possibility of personally having sex - no friggin' way!), while being way more commercial than most games on the list (heck, some of them are free, for example "Urban Witch Story", "Betrayed Alliance"...), are, in terms of gameplay, mostly a classic quest. I agree that most of these games are distinctly niche, mostly made for a not very big community of people who just prefer the retro style. But they exists and in fact, it amazes me how much the community is alive! Retro game development is a real community, developers all the time share information about oter games. If the forum feels dead, it seems to me that it's because traditional fora are no longer the dominant form of online communication. Unfortunately for me (for example, I have technically become a member of the Polish Psychedelic Society - but I got nothing out of it, because intragroup communication is Facebook-based...  :-\), I just feel a very strong push away from using social media - sure, I may read them (and this is how I know how alive is the retro gaming community), but I just can't force myself to create accounts because of my very strong need not to be in the majority.

7crossroads

• Recruit
  • Liked: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2020, 08:58:45 PM »
The appointed problem is the lack of a big enough income to the professionals involved in the making of these games. People will make them for sake of love,eventually,  but it seems to be a hard job to keep on, ad aeternum, if you have  a family to care for, etc..I know nothing about this business, or how much money is needed to make the job profitable..
By the way, i think social media are venomous things too..but in this age, people makes money with adverts, publicity, and huge communities of followers...those things dont demand quality, and in general, au contraire, demands fast and furious  novelties, witch by the rule, made in haste and lacking quality. People dont await enough...
Maybe if the community (if really exists, in the necessary amount) would be more organised, more united and supportive, the cenario would be satisfactory.