Author Topic: Climbing bug in v1.1? No longer able to climb  (Read 2130 times)

valiant

• Recruit
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Climbing bug in v1.1? No longer able to climb
« on: June 18, 2021, 10:22:42 AM »
I'm playing a rogue in version 1.1, and I seem to have lost some critical climbing ability: although my character can still climb over the gate of Volksville, in the screen to the left of the gate, where the road turns northward past the west edge of the town, I used to be able to climb the town wall. I climbed it dozens of times, but now I can no longer do so. Instead I get a message saying: "You don't have the skill to climb this yet..."

I have trained my climb skill up to 100, and still I can't climb this. Likewise, I can't climb to the balcony in the Tyr mayor's house (though I don't know yet whether I'm ever supposed to be able to do that, so please no spoilers).

Is this a bug? Is my save file useless now?

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
Re: Climbing bug in v1.1? No longer able to climb
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 05:06:26 PM »
If you were playing ver 1.0, yes the save games are not cross-compatible.  Try climbing somewhere else at the wall. It can be a bit finnicky.

Chadly.
**********Chadly*********************

valiant

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 08:02:18 PM »
Thanks, Chadly, but I've clicked on various parts of the wall, and alas, it's still telling me that I lack the skill. I never had this response until recently, and since the first time it appeared, it appears everywhere except on the town gate.

(I don't know of any version of the game newer than the one I have (v 1.1). Is there one? I got my version from gog.com just this month.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 04:32:12 AM »
Curious, did you train your skills up in the prologue, before you selected your rogue path?
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 08:48:25 AM »
Curious, did you train your skills up in the prologue, before you selected your rogue path?

I believe Klytos is on to something; I've tried my Brigand and Rogue characters for v1.1 (Humble version 1.1.2, to be precise).

After grinding my climbing up to 100 that first night, but before I return to my respective mentor with the beast's head (and other requirements), I can easily scale the wall on the screen west of Udo.

However, when playing a later saved game (I picked Day 8 saved games for both classes), I cannot scale the wall at night and receive the same message that you are getting ("You don't have the skill to climb"...)

From my Sorcerer saved games: on the first night when my Climbing Skill is 15, I can climb the west wall.  After I have raised my climbing skill to 100, I cannot scale the wall -- even on that first night (!).

====================

To be honest, I never thought to climb there in any of my playthroughs.  While it does appear to be a "bug," one which might have been caused between the demo version (which ends after the 1st night) and the finished game, it won't affect your gameplay or progress -- at least, it never did me in any of my various playthroughs for all three classes in version 1.0 or version 1.1.  Just keep climbing over the town gate.   ;)

valiant

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 11:28:32 AM »

I trained up to 100 after becoming a rogue, and I don't think I ever climbed that wall until becoming a rogue. (If 'selecting your rogue path' means some specialization within the rogue class, then I haven't encountered that yet.)

I didn't train up to 100 until after I started getting the failure that said that I lacked the skill, however. Prior to that failure's first appearance, I think my climb skill had only been raised by a handful of points.

I guess that it was probably around day 7 or 8 that I first noticed this failure.

valiant

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 04:20:00 PM »
To be honest, I never thought to climb there in any of my playthroughs.  While it does appear to be a "bug," one which might have been caused between the demo version (which ends after the 1st night) and the finished game, it won't affect your gameplay or progress -- at least, it never did me in any of my various playthroughs for all three classes in version 1.0 or version 1.1.  Just keep climbing over the town gate.   ;)

Okay, but the bug appears to also prevent me from climbing in the Tyr mayor's home. It looks like the bug in this location _will_ prevent me from finishing the game.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 05:00:46 PM »

Okay, but the bug appears to also prevent me from climbing in the Tyr mayor's home. It looks like the bug in this location _will_ prevent me from finishing the game.

If I may ask, exactly _where_ and _how_ are you trying to climb?

I bet there's something else climbing the Tyr Mayor's home on the very same screen...   ;)