Author Topic: Police Quest creator Jim Walls's kickstarter!  (Read 7994 times)

Blake00

• Lackey
  • Liked: 35
    • https://www.youtube.com/c/BlakesSanctum
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
Police Quest creator Jim Walls's kickstarter!
« on: July 16, 2013, 01:14:52 PM »
Well Jim said in that interview with the space quest guys a few months back that he was gonna come out of retirement and sure enough he's back!

Looks like a very interesting merge of modern cartoon style (with almost a dark gothic comic quality) graphics with old style police quest gameplay..

even if you're not a police quest fan you should watch the pitch video as they do a good tribute to sierra there :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/precinctgame/precinct

Blake's Sanctum - Quest For Glory Series:
fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, patches, & maps!

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: Police Quest creator Jim Walls's kickstarter!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 01:34:22 PM »
With all due respect, what part of that looks like old-school Police Quest style gameplay?  All of the mockups look like Telltale style QTE gameplay, which turns my stomach.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 01:35:02 PM »
Yeah, I'm in at a low level.  Police Quest wasn't my favorite Sierra series, but I did enjoy it enough to back the new project.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 01:59:15 PM »
I'd really just need to see more of what they're proposing.  If it's going down a similar road to a Telltale-style game, I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Quest For Glory Fan

• Super Fan and Wonder Boy
  • Lackey
  • Liked: 23
  • Super Fan and Wonder Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:11:53 PM »
I'm just glad it's not Daryl Gates Precint

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 05:06:01 PM »
I'll be honest here.  I'm only backing it for the name recognition.  If it was just another "cop simulation" I wouldn't even have bothered to look at it.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 05:12:18 PM »
I will admit, I am tempted to throw in my support just based on Jim Walls' sweet mustache alone.

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 01:51:59 AM »
Yeah sorry I should have been more specific, obviously its not the standard sierra style point and click from afar as this is a first person game.. I meant it had similarities to police quests style of you driving up to a situation and making choices on how to handle it and then being rated on how well you followed police procedures. Jim was quite methodical with that stuff in the PQ games while throwing in plenty of action and adventure in there too.

I probably won't be a high contributer either as Police quest is probably my least played sierra series but I still have the collection box somewhere haha. Plus he doesn't seem to be offering a physical box at the $70-120 mark unlike the other kickstarters which is a bit of a shame as getting that boxed copy is what it was all about back in the sierra days.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 03:08:53 AM »
Plus he doesn't seem to be offering a physical box at the $70-120 mark unlike the other kickstarters which is a bit of a shame as getting that boxed copy is what it was all about back in the sierra days.

The rewards in general don't seem to be very well thought out.  $30 is the first tier to actually get a copy of the game??  How much are they planning on charging after it's out?  Usually you want to backers to feel like they're getting a deal and in on the production rather than just straight up saying, "hey, donate money."  I feel like they've somewhat failed to do that here.

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 01:06:46 PM »
Yeah once I saw there was no affordable boxed copy I thought I'd still throw in $15 but saw that I wouldn't even get the game LOL! This is the first kickstarter I've seen that's not offered the game down that low.

Think I'll wait for a few days and see what happens as you can bet they're getting a truckload of feedback right now and will hopefully modify the rewards. I've backed all the other sierra greats returning projects even if their new games didn't interest me much so I'd like to help this one too. The size of my backing will depend on if they make some changes.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 01:57:22 PM »
I agree about the reward structure.  It's abominable and a lot of us regulars are trying to help them sort things out.  Unless they listen to our feedback, the project is going to crash and burn.  And let's not even talk about the Kickstarter-exclusive content crap they added.   ::)

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 07:28:48 AM »
sure enough things didn't go so well so Jim's cancelled the kickstarter and moved to their own fundraising site

http://fund.precinctgame.com/

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 06:34:28 PM »

Big write-up at Destructoid:

Police Interrogation: Getting the skinny on Precinct

Sounds like a police officer simulator...

With the concentration on "realism" and "truly being there", I'm wondering if you'll have to manually fill out the paperwork, too.

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 12:35:17 PM »

Big write-up at Destructoid:

Police Interrogation: Getting the skinny on Precinct

Sounds like a police officer simulator...

With the concentration on "realism" and "truly being there", I'm wondering if you'll have to manually fill out the paperwork, too.

Hah.  Wouldn't surprise me at all about the paperwork.  Jim Walls wants it to be pretty authentic if it's like his games in the 90's.  This game is just not my cup of tea...I liked his older games but only the old-retro style ones, which this is obviously not.  I'd have backed it if it was, although PQ was far from my favorite series.

Blake00

• Lackey
    • View Profile
    • Blake's Sanctum
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 01:28:58 PM »
Well that's all folks.. according to the precinct website the project is dead.

I made a similar thread to this over at Himalaya studios and got some VERY interesting inside info on the mess this all turned out to be. Jim really should have stuck with Himalaya, I would have thrown my money at that duo! Each of these sierra great come backs have worked because they teamed up with good people with good connections, I guess someone was due some bad luck choice wise and it was Jim who got dealt it. :(

Reply from Chris of Himalaya & AGDI
http://www.himalayastudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=971.msg16139#msg16139