Author Topic: New Player Thoughts (Spoilers I suppose)  (Read 18319 times)

Raner

• Recruit
  • Liked: 5
    • View Profile
New Player Thoughts (Spoilers I suppose)
« on: April 30, 2015, 06:35:22 AM »
Thank you for doing what I wished to in the winter of... 93?4? when QFG4 came out. I have been through the game six times in the last week. (I was thinking of QFG5 in 96ish)

I assume I am not posting anything you do not know, but the "time freeze" on day one opens up the character to "gaming". While it is demonstrably easier to train Stabbing on the undead at nighttime, it is not difficult to max Stab/Slash/Hack/Block before choosing a class. As well, Climbing can be maxed easily via trees in the day/evening, or via the SE/SW walls of Volksville (even easier) if waiting to night. Stealth takes one screen up to 50, then 1.5 to 80 and ~2 to 100. Going past 50 is only possible as a rogue, and note that your 100 will fall to 91 if you use the Mastery Bracers. (Can retrain to 100)

I understand the effect you were seeking - the suspension of disbelief in the first day, however I wanted to point this out as google had returned no similar results.

First play through questions/issues:

1. Giving the Gnoll a Cigar removes a Pipe from inventory, not the Cigar, though he still wants tobacco.

2. On (at least my PC with GOG version) there is no way to exit the slaver's hallway - danke for the teleport pill.

3. In the mines - many screens are plagued with (and I could NOT do this any better) pathing issues that prevent or delay changing screens.

4. That's A Lot of Stuff achievement not given to sorcerer?

5. VERY minor, but on the screen with the Killington crypt - there is a pathing issue right where the random enemy spawns - there is a no-walk zone stretching from the SE corner of the crypt halfway across the path.

6. Oops one more: Sorcerer - trying to float over to necromancer: (An error has occured. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS. (ACI Version 3.3.2.0)d
In "Float on a Cloud Spell.asc", line 7767

Error: AnimateCharacter: invalidloop number specified

That occurs attempting to float to the necromancer instead of just "handing" on the far side.

Second play through questions/issues:

1. Poor Paw achievement not given to anyone other than sorcerer?

2. Sewer Rat achievement not given if done too early? (Chapter I)

Anyhow - a job extremely well done, and I am sorry I missed the kickstarter and only found this on GOG - I played both KQIII and SQII and would have helped... though not if I had to have my mug in the game :)

roeadventue32

• Villain
  • Liked: 23
    • View Profile
Re: New Player Thoughts (Spoilers I suppose)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 08:15:13 AM »
I had no issues floating across the gap in dwarf mines, also playing gog version.

I did notice a couple last night, after you free the paly and gang you can go back in and they are gone but if you cast unlock again, it will say again you unlocked the people and the disembodied voice of the girl will agree again to unlock the gate.

I treat it as a phantasmic echo born of pain and suffering in rayfords dungeon lol.

A  interesting thing, if you try to give the goat turd to the apple seller, you can get another turd by the by, and I offred it to everyone.

It gives an amusing messege about apoligising to the game creator in a email 250 times. I got no really amusing respones from offering the turd though.

The crow guy said thanks but no thanks, but thats probobly not turd spicific. I also wanted it out of my bag.

I liked lady kibble best of the females and wondered what was up with her. Why the game singled her out for that reaction.  You cant give her a gift the perfume, dagger, trafic cone, or any item I can find. I did not offer her the turd

Then again, kit wont accept anything ether. She like all knows the perfume to stink.

I  thought there would be a joke about the salami from gen goods and trying to hide it, but alas no.
I am a one note man, I play it all I can.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 09:05:02 AM »
Raner!  Thank you so much for all the compliments!  I did send the GoG guys an email last weekend with a new build for them; some of those errors were corrected in there.  There's also some other good ones you spotted in there.  It's hard to track down every last bug, and thanks for being cool about reporting them.  Sometimes people mention bugs as if you did them intentionally as an affront to their ancestors.

I'm just glad the game found you, 'cause you're the type of fan we are and why we made the game!! Roeadventure, you too - thanks for playing, enjoying, and all the compliments!

While we're working on The Order of the Thorne games right now, I do hope to do a Quest for Infamy II sometime in the future.  There's more story to be told.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Raner

• Recruit
  • Liked: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 10:23:54 AM »
By being subscribed we will now be on the *wink* list for future Kickstarters etc? Love to support ya... ya had he at KQIII - and QFI is a symphony of angst delivered as a tribute to the PaC's of yore, with a sage, almost savage wit derived of 30 years of popular culture

I will report any other findings here or in another thread.

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 11:27:47 AM »
I want there to be 5 quest for infamy, where you import just like qfg.

A problem I see though, at the end there should be a pop up asking you to save and name your anti-hero, you know, so they can make the journy to qfi 2 lol. You could then open file location like gog qfg pack and copy the file and past it in the next game, a simple thing but if it ant broke why fix it?

Of each class, another thing is the stats need, in my humble opinion....work, its to genaral, need vitality some form of mp stuff like that. As well as removing stats that cant be maxed for class if no hybrid skills, or no stats impposble to max, no going over, 100, 200 and so on.

I'm no programmer btw just a guy that plays many games, point and click, skyrim type and such, as well as mmorpgs, reads alot, and watches anime when not listening to 80's rock.

Btw where the mines rayford refrenced at the end of the game morgan's hellish ore pit, mines from the talisman? I normaly I would not ask such a think but with you guys it seemed possible!  :)

ps nevermind the naming part lol I forgot

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 06:38:58 PM »
Well, we won't be removing stats you can't get to 100 because they may possibly be still needed by other classes. Every class can sneak for example, Rogues can just do it the best. If you try to do the slaver missions and aren't sneaking you'll get caught, that's regardless of class.

We've got a couple of games planned in the series, but QFI was a very time consuming game to make so the next one won't be done this year (at least!)
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 11:58:37 PM »
have this image of a brigand in armor lumbering about trying to sneak

whats odd is as rogue you can get chain-mail without consequence which i found very non dnd ish :)
rogue in chain-mail sneaking? eh?
nooooooooo

its like casting lightning in metal armor etc
heheh
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 04:47:13 AM »
Except there's no lightning spells. :)

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 06:05:26 AM »
Well, we won't be removing stats you can't get to 100 because they may possibly be still needed by other classes. Every class can sneak for example, Rogues can just do it the best. If you try to do the slaver missions and aren't sneaking you'll get caught, that's regardless of class.

We've got a couple of games planned in the series, but QFI was a very time consuming game to make so the next one won't be done this year (at least!)

How about qfg 5 approach? You can max all on each class but the class that majors in a stat can go higher. Like pally gets honor bonus of extra 50, wizard magic and so on? that way you could still max. Also right now there is no limit on some stats seemingly so far, I am well past 100 in stealth and still climbing on my third play thorough as thief.

You do yourself a diservice by moving the focus away from infamy, it could be the new quest for glory series in no time, a truly legendary series in my view, no offence please gents. Your game made me happy, the first ''entirely'' new thing in 5 years, that was not utter shite as roe would say.

Dont let dreaded PC , scare you, your game will be a cult classic if its not already, people with good taste will adore it for years to come. Its quest for infamy in a bygone setting, it is what it is. edgy and witty humor is part of the charm. I found the pop up portraits fascinating, could not look away at some of them.

I was talking to a guy that said couldnt they do better with the portraits and such and I was thinking but of course did not say, you fool,thats part of the appeal...its not generic crap.

Look at gypsy davy in q4g 4, or the agi king ghram, aka Buck weinersnitchel, ''a private in joke'' he looks and sounds like a delightfully campy forceful Jimmy Dean...but thats by the by.

Point is its unique, most things people find off in it seems charming to me and my freinds. Dont try to go mainstream, focus on infamy in my view.

Give it a couple years. Your not sierra....yet...but more sierra than the company itself became latter on. If I wanted a console game with toy story like graphics, thats what I would play, but its not, so I dont...and thats all. Many agree.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 07:04:45 AM »
Thanks for your kind words! It's great to hear good feedback and that you enjoyed the game.

Stats - Well I think that solution just has the same effect as what we did. At the moment there's puzzles that require a skill at 60+ that can't be done by certain classes, the effect is exactly the same as having a requirement of 110+.

Moving away from QFI - It's not our sole focus, like Sierra before us we have a lot of varied interests and just making one style of game over and over would be boring. Keep in mind too that the QFG series came out in a space of 9 years for five games. That doesn't mean we're not interested in working on a sequel! We can't work on too many projects at once, it's just not realistic and we would end up with a group of sub-par games. QFI took us two years to make, with two full time staff and a dozen other people working on it. We can use those same resources and make 3 or 4 games in that time period. Good games, fun games. That could put us in the financial position to be able to focus all our efforts on a new one. Plus, we're doing the prequel Roehm to Ruin at the moment, so there's more QFI goodness right around the corner! (November to be exact!)

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 01:33:03 PM »
Thanks for your kind words! It's great to hear good feedback and that you enjoyed the game.

Stats - Well I think that solution just has the same effect as what we did. At the moment there's puzzles that require a skill at 60+ that can't be done by certain classes, the effect is exactly the same as having a requirement of 110+.

Moving away from QFI - It's not our sole focus, like Sierra before us we have a lot of varied interests and just making one style of game over and over would be boring. Keep in mind too that the QFG series came out in a space of 9 years for five games. That doesn't mean we're not interested in working on a sequel! We can't work on too many projects at once, it's just not realistic and we would end up with a group of sub-par games. QFI took us two years to make, with two full time staff and a dozen other people working on it. We can use those same resources and make 3 or 4 games in that time period. Good games, fun games. That could put us in the financial position to be able to focus all our efforts on a new one. Plus, we're doing the prequel Roehm to Ruin at the moment, so there's more QFI goodness right around the corner! (November to be exact!)

By the way what is the stat cap, in my gog version if not 100? 200? I Would like to know because between playing eq1 I would like to shoot for it on my current theif playthrough.

I also dont think there are any hidden rooms in my version I dont think, but I did sell the holy symbol at hermits, at night...so maybe? is there a possble gift for kit to incress infamy by gifting all 3 girls, maybe even ina, all 4?

You can only gift volerus, but you can kiss kay for same effect via flirt, I would have liked to give ina a big smack on the lips and get into a boss battle with the hickory stick wheilding innkeeper hahaha!

Its great that I can talk to the true game creator, but I wonder if you awnser such questions?

With the bank I am at least greatful for the doctor cranium doorbell thing rather than the dancing stick figers lol. Why did you put so much in only the first game though?

Is the world of qfi the world of glory after a catalysm? Where the ones who came before aziza, devon, ad avis and there world? A new middle age?

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 02:28:44 PM »
stat cap?

well there are odd bugs that can make stats ABOVE 100..
in 1.0 there is no real cap on some stats
in 1.1  as sorc i had my magic about 111  due to a newly added secret area

100 should be max for most stats in combat

if you got the symbol, odd that would mean 1.1 imo
and 3 new rooms,

volerus, is not the same woman as whom is working at the inn ... mate !!! really

also i wouldnt really call rohem to ruin a game like qfi, 
so ..
idk

glad you are so super excited mate!!
calm down though hahah devs are people too
heeey nice bumper sticker or shirt

sorta how i used to idolize bands, then when i became a tour manager at epitpaph records, no more idols, ever, just other people singing and writing and playing.
just men  manly men   men in tiiiiiiiights

minus corrigan hehe and a few  non manly men, :)
tis a great team to be true
and not being in the same office and just all over the world is prolly a double edged sword, at least you dont have to be there all day arguing, instead when you do meet its like WAASSSSUPPP

heheh
♥ you rock

kal-
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 05:18:29 PM »
The stat cap is 100 but sometimes the damn thing doesn't work properly. It you can get it above 100 on some stats the truth is it really makes no difference in the game because any time a stat is used it will ask the game something like "Is stealh > 90" or similar and that equation is never above 100.

You wouldn't survive the hickory stick beating for kissing Ina.

It's not the world of QFG, for the most fundamental reason in that we don't own the rights to Quest for Glory, Activision do. QFI is it's own self-contained world.

roeadventue32

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 06:26:27 PM »
Blizzard owning these games makes me ill.  They will never do a thing with them but hurt other well meaning point and click creators.

I know kit is not volars, I meant can I give her a gift and recive infamy?

I know I seem a bit over the top but I think these games are art just as any painting, poem novel or song, and the designers are artist in the truest sense of the word.

I think its a bit of a starved fandom these last years for the semi adventre tradtioinst like me. Even modernised its nice to know there are those out there that still get itand can create something like this, like agi and kq 1-3 remake. as well as trail by fire, I was just as impressed with your work only, your style was new and yet not just a nod in that direction.

Over the top but not just a sam and max joke... fun, and funny, and serious and witty at the same time.

Its not a matter of celebrity its just that what you did with qfi is the sort of thing I would do if I made games, and the refrences and camos struck a cord with me. Very simply, I am impressed.

If someone did not think seirra ever got edgy with there humor sometimes that someone never looked closely. If anything, doing your own thing, based on a concept is better because it gives you artistic freedom and nothing is ooc. 

Prob why I loved your game and did not care for silver lining. something like qfi is good romancing the stones and redux was good, silver was not.

I liked the added story of the father and such in the kq 1-3 remakes. I am not oppesed to new things, but they should be done well.

Its really not the interface, though that did please me, its the style, and intent...the good taste, and creativty behind it that made those games great. Few get it. You guys and agd do.

You guys did your own thing and it worked in its own right. agd improved on story but stayed true to the spirit of the thing...silver lining did not, at least in my view.

I mean the movie the shining was not really like the book at all but it was still a damn good movie right? stanlely kubrick got the essense of the thing though and it was great. See?

Though with silver lining, I  respect the hell out of the people that did the project just the same, there heart was in the right place, and they workeed damn hard, the interface was like axlazanders green isle adventre, the narrator was cute, but the feel and characters? Not really. Its like the remake of evil dead...you know what I mean? Well maybe not that bad, but still.

The point I am trying to make as that you guys get adventre games.

Speaking of qfg, I always thought the hero got a raw deal, I mean the games were and are great, but just the same he did, and qfi really made me feel better about that.

Roe, you got to love that guy, hes even a bit like mavrick in a odd way. I know thats a weried thing to say but its true.

Hes also a bit of a anti hero, but hes a truly good guy all the same. You want him to win out. Contray to serface impressions hes far from a foolish man as he lets on sometimes, and he has some aspects of honor though self serving, within him.

Hes not a prude but he has his standards, he likes the ladies but is not a degenrate.

Roehm dose not seek power for powers sake and he can get things done.

He enjoys himelf but would not stand for true corruption, as his dealings with the slaver prove that. The way he handled that was ferece and a bit scary. Rayford was a fool to underestamate such a man.

He is a man who in the fullness of time would be worthy of such as being baron in a story and very effective as such were it thrust upon him in time of real need and necissity.

I think he sells himelf short in all but a serface and playful way but if he really didnt he would prob be just another bastard like that mayor.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 07:22:32 PM »
Is the world of qfi the world of glory after a catalysm? Where the ones who came before aziza, devon, ad avis and there world? A new middle age?

It's not the world of QFG, for the most fundamental reason in that we don't own the rights to Quest for Glory, Activision do. QFI is it's own self-contained world.

I find one of the most interesting hints as to the world prior to QFI is when you play as a Rogue and get to use the tunnels that spread out all over underneath Krasna...

Spoiler (hover to show)

...as well as the Thieves' Den,

Spoiler (hover to show)

I'm anxiously awaiting the HintArt™ Book to see if Blackthorne delves into the backstory / world history of Tarhsein.  (hint, HINT).