Author Topic: The Kickstarter Blues  (Read 48963 times)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: The Kickstarter Blues
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2012, 08:07:44 AM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal

Really?  John Ro-fucking-mero is part of this company.  JOHN ROMERO.

It doesn't even have a title! These guys have a name, and a good pedigree.... but, Christ.  I wish I could just say "I wanna create an Old School Adventure game!" and ask for a million dollars!?!

Sigh.  I bet this will be good, but.... fuck.....

Bt

EDIT:  I mean, for God's SAKE, in the video John Romero pulls up in A HUMMER.  A HUMMER.  To deliver a game....... that Hummer cost more than we raised to make QFI....
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2012, 09:52:20 AM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal

Personally, I'm just waiting for the eventual Kickstarter for the sequel to "John Romero's Daikatana"...    :D

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2012, 01:54:47 PM »
JOHN ROMERO WILL MAKE YOUR WALLET HIS BITCH ON KICKSTARTER.

"Daikatana 2"

Hahah

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2012, 05:18:19 PM »
Looks like Shaker (old school rpg) is going to struggle to make their target, they had an awesome start followed by a huge drop off.
Project Eternity has left Double Fine for dust, the final stretch goal is 4 million and they will prob come up just short, but it has had amazing support

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2012, 05:57:58 PM »
Yeah - Shaker (Old School RPG)... was just a poorly planned Kickstarter.  Basically went with the "We're awesome!"  give us your money....

And then they haven't done anything right since.... Kicktraq has them tracking at like 50% funding now.

Bt

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2012, 10:00:06 PM »

It doesn't even have a title! These guys have a name, and a good pedigree.... but, Christ.  I wish I could just say "I wanna create an Old School Adventure game!" and ask for a million dollars!?!

Yep, nailed my first thought.  He's not even mentioned among the luminaries of gaming on the front page, as his presence almost certainly detracts from the campaign  :)

Also... they're going with Unity3D for cross-platform support, but need another $500K to support Linux?  They only need one  Ryan "Icculus" Gordon (who essentially ported Unreal Tournament, Serious Sam, and Prey by himself) or Alternative Games (which is basically two and a half guys in Finland who ported Trine & Trine 2) for 4-5 months.  Or a number of other talented porting crews who could also help with Mac OS X.

Hell, benefits included, they could hire FIVE porting engineers with those additional funds, each of which is probably a talented gal or guy who could implement features and fix bugs on the overall project as well as porting, packaging and QA.
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2012, 10:02:04 PM »
JOHN ROMERO WILL MAKE YOUR WALLET HIS BITCH ON KICKSTARTER.

"Daikatana 2"

Ha!!  Hey, Bt, have you ever actually played Daikatana? If not (and I'm sure nidoking has peeked at this one) I can't stress how truly awful it was. It was so very bad.

Bad.

>:(
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2012, 08:32:23 AM »
Look i have kickstarter depression.  Too many KS looking for too much money.  After the Coles " Hero U" im tapped out for money with KS.  Everyone and their bother has jumped on the KS band wagon.  Projects asking for Big bucks,? QFI had to work to get 63K.  Some projects beaking 4 million. Nuts.   :)  Bring on the NEW DEMO for QFI!!!! ;)
**********Chadly*********************

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2012, 09:32:19 AM »
Heh, yeah.  Kickstarter is popular - and I definitely think the fan-base that supports it is going to be a little tapped by the end of this year.

Regardless of what any other team raised, I'll say that Kickstarter was good to us - our backers were amazing, many new friendships were made, many old friendships were rekindled, and people game out to support a good game and we're in the process of making something really special.  I'm very thankful for everything Kickstarter and our backers did for us.  We're certainly lucky folks.

Bt

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2012, 05:24:31 AM »
So, Shaker (Old School RPG) is calling it quits.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal/posts/332306

15 days left - they're calling it quits, and packing up shop.  They had 7,000+ backers and over $251,000 raised.  It's just funny; the size of projects.  If we had those numbers, we'd be celebrating a success so great, we could hardly imagine in.  For them, they're throwing in the towel.

I think some of these larger groups/companies really need to rethink their not only their pictches, but also the realistic size of their "KICKSTARTER" audience.

Like, for example, our games at IA over the years have been downloaded close to a million times.  We have about 1,800+ backers.  That's way less than 1% of the total throughout the years.  Some people aren't going to take the risk and ride on the KS merry-go-round.  Which is cool - I'm hoping more of them will come out and check out our game when we release it.  But you do have to think about the realistic size of your KS audience.

I'm sure some companies see DoubleFine and now Obsidian's success and make a leap for it..... I dunno.  There's no rhyme or reason sometimes, other than some people have the magic, and do things right - and others don't.

Bt

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2012, 08:22:10 AM »
I'm glad some of these Kickstarters with lame pitches and ridiculous funding goals are failing.  GOOD.  I hope more fail, too.  The system has been abused up the ass for the last several months.  I doubt this is really a turnaround or anything, but at least the field is being culled as it were.

$251,000 is a fucking failure.  My ass.  If you can't make a game for that amount, you shouldn't be making a game at all.  I realize they don't get the money unless they reach whatever their original ridiculous funding goal was, but seriously.  Screw those guys.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Chadly

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2012, 08:25:27 AM »
So, Shaker (Old School RPG) is calling it quits.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal/posts/332306

15 days left - they're calling it quits, and packing up shop.  They had 7,000+ backers and over $251,000 raised.  It's just funny; the size of projects.  If we had those numbers, we'd be celebrating a success so great, we could hardly imagine in.  For them, they're throwing in the towel.

I think some of these larger groups/companies really need to rethink their not only their pictches, but also the realistic size of their "KICKSTARTER" audience.

Like, for example, our games at IA over the years have been downloaded close to a million times.  We have about 1,800+ backers.  That's way less than 1% of the total throughout the years.  Some people aren't going to take the risk and ride on the KS merry-go-round.  Which is cool - I'm hoping more of them will come out and check out our game when we release it.  But you do have to think about the realistic size of your KS audience.

I'm sure some companies see DoubleFine and now Obsidian's success and make a leap for it..... I dunno.  There's no rhyme or reason sometimes, other than some people have the magic, and do things right - and others don't.

Bt

No rhyme or Reason for a KS success??  Double Fine and Obsidian's success came from name recognition. DF with Schaefer and Gilberts name, and Obsidians with the Whole AD&D gaming world.  Classic games like Baldurs Gate/Ice Wind Dale etc.  It would be like if Ken and Roberta Williams came  out of retirement and said, "Folks we are rebooting Sierra 2.0."  The response would be Nuts!  It is my sincere hope that in the future folks will recognize the IA/IQ name and the names Mills/Alexander will be immortalized! :)

Some KS projects like the Pebble and Quja are just cool in themselves.  Unique ideas that caught on, if you take my drift.  Exactly what in my thoughts what KS was designed for, as well as Quest for Infamy.  Folks with a unique vision who have the drive to make Something Special. :)

Chadly

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2012, 08:30:46 AM »
I have to agree with you Lambonius.  If i wanted to make a game for 500,000 bucks, only reached 250,000 why couldnt i revise my cost projections and make the game?  I mean Shaker had 7000 people who wanted to see the game made.  So i call it quits with 15 days to go?  All those folks who pledged are going to be left out in the cold.  Sure they didnt end up giving any money, but i'd be pissed off!!!!

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2012, 10:16:21 AM »
A million dollars? A fucking million dollars? To make an old school RPG. They have to have been taking the piss, seriously.

Chadly

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2012, 11:14:27 AM »
Folks i have decided to Announce a KickStarter!!!  From the proud employees of Chadlysoft comes a ALL NEW ADVENTURE:    BEER QUEST the Search for SudS!!!!  Join us in help making a classic old school adventure game that entails:  Bar-hopping across the USA in search a magical mythical Brew call Goldenlager!  Now this beer taste good, makes you feel good, heals your liver and makes you years younger!!!  Now you ask "how much will this game cost me?" Well we are asking for the low low amount of 100,000,000 US dollars.  Will the game be great? No. Our game will be Fucking Awesome!  Reward tiers to follow folks........Stay tuned!!!!!!!! ;) :D 8)