Author Topic: Bug (1.1, GOG-Version): Mousewheel not working after open-lock-spell...  (Read 10666 times)

Athanasius

• Testers
  • Lackey
  • Liked: 25
    • View Profile
Hello everybody,

I'm enjoying your wonderful game and really like almost everything about it so far. But unfortunately I seem to have encountered a nasty little bug: I'm playing as a Sorcerer, got the open lock-spell and tried to open the door at the meat-house on the town square (market place?). As it was dusk and not night, the spell didn't work - but something changed nonetheless: My mousewheel didn't work anymore ingame: I couldn't cylce through the actions with my mousewheel. I saved the game right after and tried to reload the savegame, even restarted the game, but the problem wasn't solved. I think the savegame itself is corrupted after my failed spell attempt. Only when I took an earlier savegame, the mousewheel worked again.
The problem is reproducable, I've tried it at least three times. As I prefer the comfortable mouswheel-cycling, I wouldn't like to use rightclick. Is there anything I can do?

Cheers and thanks!

Athanasius

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
ah the blacksmiths home i had that happen a few times in 1.0
as for the save no clue want to send me it so i can check if the save is ok or if its the games dats?

lemme knows

my email is in my profile i believe
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Athanasius

• Testers
  • Lackey
    • View Profile
Hi!
That's absolutely strange: I've restarted my computer some minutes ago and started the game up to try to reproduce the issue again. As I said, it was highly reproducable yesterday, but now, doing exactly the same actions and using the same savegame I can't get the bug to happen again... I'm confused...

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
That is strange; I actually just sent a new build into GoG this weekend; hopefully they'll get it up this week.  I'll see if this bug still happens, though.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Athanasius

• Testers
  • Lackey
    • View Profile
Ok, here it is again... now I've made a savegame before casting the open lock-spell and one after (with the malfunctioning mousewheel). Do you want the savegames?

One question: Can I use my savegames with the newer version you've mentioned or do I have to restart the game?

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
i think, cant say, but the only save loss is the 1.0 to 1.1
and even then bt CAN help

as for the saves.. i have gog and steam ver,  didnt notice steam was updated further than gog... odd

but that issue did happen to me a few times
didnt stay when loading , its why i offered to check the save,

Athanasius

• Testers
  • Lackey
    • View Profile
Ok, thank you for your assistance. I've uploaded them on Mediafire. All you have to do to reproduce the issue is to use the spell on the door.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/73xldbzdtj7w6tv/qfi+saves.rar

Thank you!

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
strange.
i tried on the gog and steam ver

both  dont ALLOW me to use the spell, saying you cant cast that on this..
even loading the save after the "bug" still all works fine

so its the gamefiles not the save game, save is not corrupt

but the game shouldnt let you touch that door, there is nothing there mate.. move along :)
but yea tested on steam and gog, the spell works but says cant use that here, and nothing is hurt in the game,

and loading your save, all works.. so id say reinstall, since gog cant verify files, and backup saves and move em back to the location, and if you want backup the DAT files, so u dont lose time or achievements etc in game

Athanasius

• Testers
  • Lackey
    • View Profile
Now I'm utterly confused.
If I try to use the spell on the said door, the game doesn't allow me to do it: It doesn't say I can't cast it on the door, instead it informs me that I cannot do that in daytime - after that message the mousewheel-cycling doesn't work (cycling with rightclick still works). I've not encountered the problem anywhere else, only at this place, so I think I'll continue playing and wait for the update next week until I reinstall it. I'll keep an eye on that mousewheel though. ;)
As long as it's nothing gamebreaking I'm happy...

Thanks for your assistance, although I'm even more confused now. ;)

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
yea its confusing, me id suggest trying to reinstall the game, backing up the DAT files
leave them out on desktop and remove all saves backing them up also,

backup saves and dats
then uninstall
go to the dir manually 
and delete it the left over files and dirs and the save games folder
reinstall the game,
dont replace the dats or saves yet

start up the game
make a new save at the intro,
go into the save folder and copy the 2 saves u showed me over back into it without the dat files
play the game and restore

then if that works try replacing the dat files again so you have in game achievements

problem with gog is no verify files, and really could be anything but i had that bug on the door for the blacksmith (one of the houses you can rob)
you can do nothing to the food vendor there night day or any time.. though you can get some funny dialog when doing stuff to the apple merchant etc

my suggestion? just avoid that door..  but first test what i suggested if ye wants   wont hurt anything.
just back up everything first :)

Athanasius

• Testers
  • Lackey
    • View Profile
Re: Bug (1.1, GOG-Version): Mousewheel not working after open-lock-spell...
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 12:56:23 AM »
How is this possible? Ok, step for step:

1. I redownloaded the GOG-Version of QfI (just in case)
2. I copied the two savegames (the two I've uploaded) and the dats
3. I installed the game on a different PC with a different configuration/OS (Win7)
4. I started the game, made a save and quitted the game.
5. I copied my two savegames in the folder (not the dats)
6. I loaded the first savegame (the one when the mousewheel still works) and tried to reproduce the bug.
7. The bug happens, just exactly in the same manner it happened on the other pc, reloading doesn't help.

So it's basically the same situation. I can't understand why the two savegames show nothing of the issue on your system. Do you have a different GOG-Version of the game?

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 07:20:48 AM »
my gog is 1.1 standard,
though as bt mentioned a few patches are going out to others   other than steam

but again, i cant recreate that bug with those saves on my pc,
tried 2 different os's also and one was a clean install of windows

not sure mate but, the saves arent the issue on this end.
* Kaldire is totally confused

as someone once said.. "if i cant replicate it i cant fix it!"

Athanasius

• Testers
  • Lackey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 07:35:14 AM »
That drives me crazy. Ok, it seems to be a minor problem, nothing gamebreaking (I hope), but I don't understand it at all. Especially after I did everything on a completely other pc, changed nothing and inserted only the two savegames.
I think I'll give up on it. Live is short after all, and I want to play this game so badly. ;)

edit: Ok, the same issue reappeared - but with another spell - this time the telekinesis-spell. In the savegame I've uploaded ( http://www.mediafire.com/download/sgbebzddbix4eab/agssave.rar ) you stand at the tree in the north woods, were a bird's nest is. I've tried to "get" it down. The spell doesn't work (the game informs me, that I can't use the spell here) - and after that: The mousewheel doesn't respond (again, rightclicking works as usual, everything fine, but the mousewheel seems to be stuck). So the problem I have seems to have to do with trying spells on objects not intended for it. In the savegame, you still have to use the spell on the bird's nest.

edit 2: Ok, I have to correct me again: The problem appears everytime I use a spell on something not intended for it. I've tried to use the unlock spell on a tree (just to try), and the game says "You can't use the spell on that" - after that, mousewheel is broken. Same thing if I use the telekinesis-spell on something that isn't fetchable. So it seems to be in the gamefiles indeed. But if we both have the same version of the game I can't understand it.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 08:04:03 AM »
odd as ive done that in 1.0 and 1.1

the nest ,  stop trying nothing to see here folks :)

oddly i tried the save again,  worked just fine, saying something like you dont need anything there what is this kq? etc like the sand on beach in southwoods

mouse wheel.. imo just dont use it,  do the classic style of going to the top of the screen and clicking, its how the ole scho players do it, (mice never had wheels for a while) and before that.. no miiiicee

i miss parser interface .. would be neat to add even a few parts of a game like qfi as parser or text based advent lol

anyway tried both links  and i get what seems to be different messages even on the usage of the spell,
but either way, mousewheel works and id hardly consider that broken, (i never used the mouse wheel ever in qfi 150+ hrs
I should have to test it but,  i am now, its working as intended idk..
id say if the crew wasnt so busy shoot them a save but.. thats for them to pm ye abouts

i can say ive tried! works fine on my end!

1.0 was better for spells like that as you didnt have to point at things,
(try opening the out house door twice,  then get infamy which all know about)
THEN use unlock on THAT outhouse door and watch more infamy again,  buuug :)

but nothing game breaking or such

still annoooying and confusing esp from a testers view.. since i cant replicate this argghh
sorry i wish i could help more mate..

Athanasius

• Testers
  • Lackey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 08:20:57 AM »
Thank you for your endurance! :)

Well, the game is about exploration, isn't it? And it's about badassery - so I want to be able to kidnap little bird babies! :D

I've tried to open the door of the tower under the vantage point - now that's a place where I'm expected to use the open spell, and even there, the mousewheel is stuck afterwards... I'm comfortable of using the wheel, because if I use rightclick, it tends to cycle too fast sometimes (it sometimes overjumps one action).