Author Topic: Pickpocketing from stores  (Read 5822 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
Pickpocketing from stores
« on: July 24, 2014, 03:32:54 PM »
Is it possible to pickpocket every item from a store? (excepting inaccessible stealing places like Prospero's and the Tavern and food hut?)

I've noticed that once you steal one or two items from a store that it's no longer possible- do they just get suspicious of Roehm's presence or something?  Or do you have to wait a while between stealing stuff to avoid arousing their suspicion?

(note- I love the dialogue when you steal a tent!  The cigar dialogue was fun too, and it feels amusing giving Rayford contraband cigars to smoke.)

Dutchman

Re: Pickpocketing from stores
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:21:55 PM »
Yeah I manage to steal one item from a store, it seems. Perhaps it's tied to your stealth?

I managed to steal a frickin' TENT though.
I like how the game even points out "YOU JUST STOLE A TENT. Do these people not pay attention!?"

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 07:28:22 PM »
I wrote that line based on something I read by Slash once. When he was a young teenager him and friends used to go into a store and see what they could steal. He stole a canoe, just walked out with it. And later took it back to the manager and said "Man, I stole a CANOE, do your staff not pay attention?"
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 07:48:28 PM »
I think it's tied to your thievery skill, though I believe certain items aren't able to be stolen.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Pickpocketing from stores
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:17:22 PM »
I think it's tied to your thievery skill, though I believe certain items aren't able to be stolen.

I just tested it with max Thievery.  1 per store seems to be the limit.

Alas, the Diamond Crowbar is completely unstealable. :(  Is that a bug or something or is it intended to be unstealable?  I was able to steal some chain armor from the blacksmith.

Also, is it meant to be impossible to steal from Jerrod?  His "steal failure" dialogue is non-unique ("watching you intently") though he seems to be impossible to steal anything from. (even though he's only got one item really worth stealing instead of buying)

I also, I appreciate the stealing dialogue for taking a lone artichoke. ;)  The unique dialogue steal dialogues are really nice though there are only a handful of em. 

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 07:56:49 AM »
* 1 steal ATTEMPT per store is the limit. After seeing something missing, they're paying closer attention.
* Yes the diamond tipped crowbar is unstealable. (Is that even a word?)
* You can steal from Jerrod.

"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 01:34:12 PM »
Is there some kind of trick to stealing from Jarrod?

Even with 100 Thievery it still won't let me take even a 1 coin empty flask from him. :( I can steal Chain Armor but I still can't get a flask from him.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 07:55:18 AM »
You must have attempted to steal from him before, you only get one attempt per store, whether you are successful or not.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 01:10:14 PM »
Oh really?  That sucks. :(

Are there any unique messages for stealing from him?  I don't feel like restarting all over and raising a New Rogue to 100 Thievery just to hear 3 Jarrod-related messages.

Also, when you steal the Ceremonial Dagger and give it to Voleries, I've noticed that there isn't any kind of Game Over message.

Voleris and the blacksmith are both highly intelligent.  Wouldn't he quickly report a stolen item and wouldn't she likely know about it and remember the description?

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 08:51:51 PM »
Voleris wouldn't have anything to do with the Blacksmith, that's Rayford's jurisdiction. You certainly don't need to get your thievery to 100 to steal from Jerrod.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 08:57:05 PM »
It's probably too late to change it but, a neighboring town under the same king would probably get word of stolen merchandise to be on the lookout for it.

That's why Fences exist, because it's not easy to get away with selling something valuable you just stole in the same backyard.