Author Topic: Revisiting Arx Fatalis  (Read 32147 times)

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
Re: Revisiting Arx Fatalis
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 10:25:02 AM »
on nice you made it really far

sadly again the fixes are mainly for cross platforms and LOADS of bug fixes which if you just look at hard enough you WILL see the bugs

some just dont have the eye for it, and thats sometimes a good thing,
but wait until things start vanishing from the inv, and again look at the year and date of the patch last put out
this year last quarter!
and it allows for mods, so you can even make your own.

as for the trolls! well not many get em to work, as you can just kill them and the goblins but you miss out on loads of quests.

did you go stealth based or fighter

and do you know how to cook meat n such? also get the secret runes and cast FEED it feeds you so you never have to eat real food again!

also dont forget that secret quest in the tavern, it starts off by saying get an emerald and place it in a chest(this is on the 5-6lvl of the dungeon the chest seems locked but if you use an emerald on it.. it opens and gives the next clue .. then the next and next

also there are runes you CAN MISS.. just so you know also there are secret spells that dont and wont show up in the spell book! these are some of the best spells in the game!

again sorry about the nutting up, just seems when I offer advice like always when someone goes the other way for seemingly the wrong reason I get really offended, its something im working on.
if you are happy playing the buggy original thats good enough for me!
but again not many I know other than you and garr play arx without lib installed :P
as for the res.. its patch makes it auto res to the highest (which u can change in the options!)
I know small inv with bad eyes = hard to sort. but its not just inv thats smaller its the res that makes the game look and play better

try puttin a map marker on the map.  also map markers in the original NEVER show up .. they are supposed to..
just a bug you have seen but prolly dont think is apart of the game

did you kill the goblin king right out or did you make him pie and become friends with him first?
then do the 3 quests THEN you can murder the goblins and trolls just for fun !

also there is a secret trick with levitate spell, if you cast it and are hit by say a rat, you get pushed into the air higher, in that start lvl just outside near the first troll that wants a book of mountains n such, you can see an area you cant reach, even with levitation. but if you just cast it and let a rat hit you it kicks you high in the air and you can go to the dragon (an end game lvl) to get an egg
which is needed

also when you get to the temple there are 6 statues NEVER DROP ONE.. never put one anywhere but your inv or you will have to restart the game over from a save before the temple.
its a bad bug even Lib didnt fix yet..

ps dont forget to make sure to activate each teleport .. makes things so much faster :P

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

nameless

• Forever At The Bottom of the Totem Pole
  • Villain
  • Liked: 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »
Cast feed huh... guess that's one I must succeed in drawing. Never could do any of them though.
Lynda Carter, Wonder Woman, once sent me autographed photos that put me on cloud nine. The photos are on my living room wall.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 03:38:43 PM »
yea some are a bit tricky, you really only need key points the rest u can just scribble fast

thats why they have hot casting so u hold down a key and 3 stay casted for fast access

nameless

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 10:47:53 AM »
Anybody, please.... here's another dumb-donkey question, how do I activate and use a teleport station? Someone in another town activated theirs and told me about traveling to any other teleport, but I forgot how.
Lynda Carter, Wonder Woman, once sent me autographed photos that put me on cloud nine. The photos are on my living room wall.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 12:59:33 PM »
it involves casting a spell thats in the manual, its also in your spell book once you get 1 rune from the shop lady or.. wait for the loot later in the game (id buy it if i were you)

so if you dled the game torrent wise, ye be needing to google

or I can tell ya

but shrug i think I give up

mega  & spacium

big + space  =  teleport
but you have to do it near the teleport

dont forget, there are a few in arx  one in the castle near your room (get that backpack) and dont leave anything in drawers or chests they will reset and vanish esp without lib patch but even WITH lib patch it happens at a point in the game when a chicken is left on your bed like some oddball godfather + voodoo reference

PS most of the best spells wont show up in the spell book, and if they do you wont know what they do
douse is going to be helpful instead of water flasks on each torch (yep you can put a torch out on the wall with a water flask)

all this is in the manual you get with the game ;P
kinda like thief only with spells not arrows

mega  & spacium mega  & spacium mega  & spacium
cast it just once right and tada a portal appears (dont try on the first one you find as you dont have the runes until you buy the 1 you are missing at the ladies shop (or wait even longer and find it)
and yes there are runes you can miss..

if you go ranged with stealth, you rarely ever need to cast magic just fyi
just need high ranking in object knowledge and the bow from da hidden chicken man (so dont kill chickens in the crypt its actually a guy!)

cant wait for you to need to use the REVEAL spell, as thats mind numbing even for me..
esp for the treasure hunt etc

dont forget pickaxes break walls, that are frail
cooking meat is just dropping it onto the fire (no pan needed)
just dirt n meat like cavemen

and when in doubt  GOOGLE..

nameless

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 01:58:53 PM »
Come to think of it, it was a guy in Arx about the teleport (I think).

Wow! Great info.

Some gamers claim that once you get the book message about the little girl, and to go there that night. I never thought anything about it till much later. Going to do the Alia quest for the shield, to trade for an important item, took a side tunnel and eventually found the sacrificial chamber. It was just starting and I saved the girl. She took off running, so guess she knows the way home. Anyhow, presently trying to get to the bottom level where the shield supposedly is. And A w a y I go.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 02:25:21 PM »
hahah dont forget the secret treasure hunt!

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 02:59:52 PM »
and once again..
dont forget to get 3 backpacks BEFORE going to the temple and getting the akbah statues
never drop or misplace them or its a game breaker..
i put one in my chest in the room in castle and it vanishes

it ruined the game so.. i havent played since..

the devs used to have an item editor but its long since lost in the shuffle

shmerl

• Lackey
  • Liked: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 09:03:44 PM »
Thanks for reminding, I was actually planning to get Arx Fatalis on GOG and try it with Arx Libertatis.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 01:32:31 AM »
@shmerl
In the retro community, its almost a requirement.. to have liberatis!

Im just shocked that the only people so far that found it unhelpful or said it hurt the game were 2 people on this forum only!

and thats been 2 people in yeaaarrs now since original lib came out.
When it first came out it did mess a bit up as they progressed, again pointing out that it auto adjusts to your res now, so inv will look smaller but the game will look a bit better. you can change that in the options though

but garr claimed it damaged health modifiers and u die quicker (the opposite is true) and again read the changelog MY GOD loads has been done !

either way enjoy the game and keep those statues in the INV never ever drop or put one anywhere but the backpack

nameless

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 08:52:58 AM »
Ok, Ok... now I'm a believer in Liberatis. In options I can indeed change rez to 800/600 32 bits in order to see a larger inventory. Now I have a much bigger problem. Have a mithril sword. am on level 2 near Greu's cave. Can't seem to get to the Ice Dragon. One poster said to jump on top of a stalagmite (?) in an upper area of the level, and turn to see a cave, then use levitate scroll to get there. There are some stone spires near Greu, but I think there should be another area.

Now about frequent "I'm Hungry" and "I should eat". was watching a 42 minute youtube video about forging a mithril weapon. the guys life meter always remained full, no hunger, and his stats were much lower than what I have, probably game defaults. So I started a trial run of the first part of the game with normal stats. I've gotten pretty far and no hunger. So I have to conclude that more is not always better he he. Since I'm so far along with my Uber character, I'll just finish the game, then start over with normal character creation, except maybe I'll try the creation of special character by using multiple clicks on "quick generate" and "appearance".

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 06:00:27 PM »
note:

when you make the special click character it will make 17 on all main stats but will favor a path rather than the other..
i think its the stealth path

as for the dragon
there is a cheap way to get there in the early game, I told you how ..
go where the first troll is, and you can see the dragons path but can reach it.. cast levitation, let a rat hit you and you will fly higher in the air, lol
other than that you have to go all the way down, to get all the way back to the end game dragon egg, you can buy one, and steal another but it will fight

as for mithril sword
its worthless esp vs the chicken weapons, which you missed,
swords suck in the end, its about that fireball bow !
alll true

and yep no hunger here even on standard character creation for me

if you are at a point where you even need to meet the dragon for the egg, you are almost done with the game and that sword wont do a lick o good really. there are much better ones

shrug

my guess is you missed the treasure hunt and the chicken king.. and didnt have object knowledge to 80-90
make sure to do that next time.

also if you got every akbah statue, and finished the temple twice, you should have no problems finding the hidden treasure and no problems finding the dragon.

nameless

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2014, 08:31:46 PM »
A bloody rat is instrumental in levitating!?

Another gamer kept trying to double click the shovel and dig where he suspected was the treasure quest item. He found out that it was necessary to open inventory and click F on the shovel and it would dig itself. His response "I congratulate the developers for doing such a great job, but WTF is wrong with you guys?"
Anyhow, I made it through and personally I thought the final boss was a wuss.
My suggestions for the game, longer lasting torches, or a well hidden perennial torch with more candlepower.

On a side note, I made the mistake of trying to follow someone else's walkthrough and it totally confused me until I realized when he said NE, it was actually Nw. And instead of south, it was actually east. Seems as if it was always off by 90 degrees.

Many thanks for all help and advice.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2014, 12:59:54 AM »
you do have a LIGHT spell that casts an orb over your head!
but trust me the STEALTH approach with lord innuts bow (the chicken man) makes all hits CRITICAL sneak attacks and adds fireball dmg = insta kill from the shadows

as for the rat, and levitation, no thats just a bug and a way to get to the dragon in the early stages of the game by an exploit

as for the treasure hunt, you can do either double click or click in the inv, not sure what that guy was doing!

yea watch out for false directions some dont know left from right E from W

did you make it to the dragon? did you solve the treasure hunt? did you make that fun character with lib and test the cheat spells? some are funny
you can fireball the very start troll guards  in the starting dungeon and never need a gem dealer pass lol

nameless

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2014, 12:21:43 PM »
I've completed the game twice now. Presently a little over half way third play-through. In the console version, there's an extra option where you don't have to draw the spells. Why was that not included in the PC version? Or is there a secret key combination to accomplish that? Carrying a ton of food items and lots of life potions into the Dwarf area is rather cumbersome.

Even though I get by before and after the Dwarf mines, I dearly wish  someone would divulge an easy (lazy cheat) to uncover all maps (never could properly draw the SOS map cheat) and shut up the incessant "I'm Hungry" and "I Should Eat" whining. I shudder to think someone is protecting secrets like the one for the QFI secret bar.