Author Topic: Movie Prediction  (Read 3704 times)

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Movie Prediction
« on: September 21, 2013, 05:59:40 PM »
All right, after recently watching the trailer for the new RoboCop remake/reboot, I can finally reveal my prediction for this movie:

Granted, it's based on a single awful trailer...  And I know from interviews that the makers didn't want to copy the original movie, instead opting to explore questions that were not touched upon in the original...

However, it's like they don't really know why the first one worked: it's about a man trying to regain/remember his lost humanity, along with a lot of sly social commentary.

The remake?  It's just a guy stuck in a super-suit -- à la Darth Vader.  How he adjusts after getting 'superpowers' makes this look like just another superhero origin story.  Also, with his ever-present family around, there's no room for pathos; sure, we see that things are now different, but not necessarily what he lost.

In the original movie, Murphy's family stays (correctly) off-screen, forcing the audience to experience the sadness of Murphy's loss by experiencing only what he does: with glimpses of memories and images of a family and life that's gone for good.

In the remake, they're not lost at all, and Murphy's still Murphy -- he apparently knows who he is, he's just stuck in a suit of armor.  It reduces Murphy to a divorced father or a deadbeat dad who can't -- or won't -- stick around...  "You need to speak to your son", indeed.  Much too touchy-feely for my taste.

And what looks to be like the film's biggest mistake?  As Miguel Ferrer's Bob Morton so eloquently said in the original: "Lose the arm."

Now that I think of it, probably not worth ranting about...

Quest For Glory Fan

• Super Fan and Wonder Boy
  • Lackey
  • Liked: 23
  • Super Fan and Wonder Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Prediction
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 06:13:07 PM »
I've seen some call it "RoBro Flop" as the super suit just makes him look like a jock cop.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 06:15:50 PM »
Yeah, Cracked just had a great article on why this movie might suck.  The author had a lot of good points.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:27:10 PM »
Although I usually refrain from passing judgement over a movie without actually watching it, I must admit this one doesn't fill me with much confidence.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 10:33:26 PM »
Yeah, Cracked just had a great article on why this movie might suck.  The author had a lot of good points.

Bt

Thanks for the heads-up.  Just read it, and looks like we both had some of the same concerns...

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 09:04:09 PM »
Hmmm...  Now WHERE have we heard some of these before...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daXwWFZF5rk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daXwWFZF5rk</a>