Author Topic: What is the Worst Sierra game ever?  (Read 16978 times)

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
What is the Worst Sierra game ever?
« on: April 25, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »
        What is the worst Sierra game ever made?  For me it is Leisure Suit Larry 2.  It just sucked all around. A close second is Manhunter.  Worst Sierra series is Ecoquest or Willy Bemish.

Chadly.
**********Chadly*********************

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: What is the Worst Sierra game ever?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 01:23:10 PM »
Gabriel Knight 2.  Now, the story is pretty great - but the FMV?  It was a gimmick of the time, and unfortunately, it's rendered the game unplayable.

LSL2 is a game I absolutely adore - but it does have MANY, MANY flaws.  I also love Manhunter - it's harder to get into that one at first, but if you do - it's amazing.

Codename: ICEMAN was a disappointment to me when I played it in the 90's.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 01:27:06 PM »
I can't comment on the ones I haven't played, but I'll be honest and say that the Police Quest games were among the weakest in my opinion.  While LSL2 had its problems it was still enjoyable to play.  I hated having to adhere to strict police guidelines.  The storylines were great but the gameplay was lacking.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 02:52:59 PM »
I also hate Gabriel Knight 2.  The other FMV games sucked as well, and for the same reasons, but for me the amount of sycophantic adoration that Gabriel Knight 2 gets is cause enough for it to edge out the others and claim the title of WORST SIERRA GAME EVER.  Definitely the most annoying, that's for sure.  There is absolutely no justifiable reason that a game like GK2 should be on anyone's best adventure game of all time lists, let alone anywhere near the top.  A good story does not a good adventure game make.  It is deeply flawed from a gameplay standpoint, and as Bt said, the pig ugly and utterly gag-inducing FMV (and just the overall aesthetic of the art direction in general) renders it nearly unplayable, unless you are a true masochist or a Jensen sycophant.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 03:36:54 PM »
I think GK2 could really stand for a remake.  In fact, if that's in the future plans for the franchise by Activision, I'd be interested in that.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Chadly

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 03:54:44 PM »
Yes I have to agree GK2 was absolutely terrible. The gameplay sucked. Story was ok tho. Also Phantasmagoria sucked too!  The only FMCS game I have ever enjoyed was WingCommander 3 and 4. And they weren't really FMV games. The video, gameplay, and story made those classics which I still play today. :)

Chadly

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 04:02:20 PM »
    Off topic but I would enjoy a remake of conquest of Camelot and conquest of the LongBow.  Hell lets just talk Activision into remaking the entire Sierra library of games! :D

Jerminator

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 04:21:09 PM »
I thought GK2 was good. Yeah I prefer the artistic graphics, but I liked the game.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 04:27:57 PM »
I got into the story at points, but every time I'd start to get into it, I'd get pulled right back out again by the terrible editing of every single FMV sequence.  Way too many awkward pauses, actors not seeming to realize they're being filmed before springing to life, lingering shots, etc.  I've seen student work that was put together much MUCH better.  I'm not complaining about the story--I even liked a number of the puzzles.  The art style left a bit to be desired, in my opinion.  I think there is a certain aura to hand-painted work that just can't be captured by photographic artwork--at least, not the low res, badly manipulated stuff from the Sierra FMV era.  Really, though, it was mostly the editing that killed it for me.  Made every interaction feel like a chore to me.

Now with all this talk about it, here and on the AG forums, I'm actually kind of itching to play it again and see if it sits better with me the second time.  I'm sure that a big part of my problem with it stems from playing it for the first time years after the fact, when FMV was already horribly dated, but I've talked to plenty of people who played it when it was new that share my opinion.

I just think the amount of praise it gets is not deserved, given the amount of gameplay and story flow issues the badly edited FMV creates.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 06:27:55 PM »
Codename: Iceman is usually cited as one of the worst, not because of the story, but mostly because of the sub simulation parts..

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 06:53:35 PM »
Codename Iceman would be for me  it was doubly disappointing because it had such an enjoyable start.

I am in the minority that would KQ5  as one of the worst. I am not adverse to dead ends in games, but this was majorly overdone in KQ5.

I think Larry 2 gets too much criticism. Despite it short comings I remember it as a really enjoyable play

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 07:38:32 PM »
        What is the worst Sierra game ever made?  For me it is Leisure Suit Larry 2.  It just sucked all around. A close second is Manhunter.  Worst Sierra series is Ecoquest or Willy Bemish.

Chadly.

As an aside, in all fairness: can a stand-alone game ("The Adventures of Willie Beamish") that spawned no sequel truly be considered part of a series?   ;D

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »

I think Larry 2 gets too much criticism. Despite it short comings I remember it as a really enjoyable play

The problem with Larry 2 is that it's just not a very good Larry game.  It's a fair adventure game, but there's precious little where our hapless Lothario can use his questionable "girl-picking-up" skills during the game.

Instead, the plot is a case of "mistaken identity"; if Larry had been replaced with a new  "Joe Generic" character, the game wouldn't have suffered in the least.

That being said, if Replay's next game is a LSL2 re-do as PnC, I'd still 'Kick' that...

Chadly

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 08:30:28 PM »
I think Dynamix did indeed make a sequel to Willy Bemish. If so it's a series in my book. If I'm wrong then Willy Bemish still sucked..   On other notes the sub part of Codename Iceman was very frustrating as well as driving the van at the end of the game.  In all Sierra games traversing a maze like the mountain in kings quest 3 drove me crazy especially when you are short on time getting back to the house before the wizard woke up.             Chadly 8)

rogerxy

• Lackey
  • Liked: 2
  • Serious Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 05:05:09 AM »
The early ones like "Mystery House" and such is not that good but if you compare them to the other games of that time they are good so I guess you have to do that.

I would have to say "Codename: Iceman" among the ones I have played. The story is great and the graphics are really nice but the gameplay... wow... horrible
You can have anything you want if you will give up the belief that you can't have it.