Author Topic: Walking dead  (Read 7046 times)

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
Walking dead
« on: December 22, 2012, 04:25:04 AM »
So who has played Telltales The Walking Dead and what did you think?

Lupin

• Lackey
  • Liked: 1
  • Magic Knight and Time Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Walking dead
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 06:31:09 AM »
When I saw this topic, my first thought was "Oh, we have a comic's discussion going on"

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 01:34:34 PM »
Or show.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 03:00:28 PM »
I played through Telltale's Walking Dead game. 

I really liked it, story and writing-wise.  I thought the art style was unique and attractive, even if the game wasn't technically impressive from a graphical standpoint.  I think the emotional weight of the choices is somewhat undermined once you make a second playthrough and realize that nearly all choices have almost identical outcomes and you can't really impact the flow of the story.  I do think that more divergent paths through the narrative would have improved the game substantially and added replay value, however, I did love the ending, and I like the fact that nothing you can do will change the ultimate outcome.  I just think that the paths to get to that outcome could have been more diverse depending on the choices you made.  I'm still not a fan of the "adventure-lite," "cinematic adventure," "interactive movie," or whatever you want to call the gameplay style.  It wouldn't bother me as much if the game wasn't also being marketed as a point and click adventure game.  An adventure game it really is not.

But yeah, that first spoiler-free playthrough is magical.  A great experience all around and well worth the relatively modest price of admission.  I'll definitely play the next season.

Still didn't enjoy it as much as Tales of Monkey Island, but I think this one is up there with Telltale's best, though for somewhat different reasons.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 11:53:37 PM »
I just played the first episode (is available for free ATM for ios)
I did wonder if the decision .making was just an illusion, but I was impressed by the game. I think this style of game could be developed well, imagine a few more segments of traditional adventure game play mixed in with tis kiind of decision making. I felt like I was playing something good, but also something that had the potential to be amazing

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 11:03:20 AM »
I haven't played it yet; for me, honestly - I have a big aversion to anything zombie related or post apocalyptic these days.   The themes are just so over-done and played out... I just have zero interest in it.  The world's a depressing enough place as it is; I like video games for their escapism, and plunging myself into a world that's worse off than it is now just makes me want to drink hemlock.  But that's just me.  I've not yet watched the series, either, so my interest in this is pretty much non-existent.  This kind of stuff just isn't for everyone.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 12:30:04 PM »
Yeah it isn't for everyone. I am not a fan of zombie theme at all, didn't mind this too much though as it is really more about the characters then the zombies. Must admit though if episode 1 wasnt free I never would have played it given my dislike for every other telltale episode i have played and also my dislike for all things zombie. Still trying to decide whether to buy the rest but am leaning towards no.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 12:31:13 PM »
I'm not a big fan of zombies, and I never read the comic or saw the series.  But, I am a fan of TellTale and their other games, so I picked it up on the cheap on Steam during a sale a while back.  I do have to say that it had a good story and memorable characters (very important to me in any gaming genre), but it's certainly not as great as so many other people are making it out to be.  I still prefer their other games (with the exception being Jurassic Park which was the worst of the bunch by far), but I think it's still worth it if you can find it for the right price.

I'll stick with Sam & Max, Monkey Island, and Back to the Future, though.  Those three were my favorites.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 01:39:09 PM »
Yeah, for me - it's really not about the game, but the content, like I said.  I've really enjoyed some of Telltales other games a lot.  Kudos to them, though, for getting such accolades on their game.

You know what game I liked that they distributed - Hector, Badge of Carnage!  That game was really funny.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

rugged

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 10:24:38 PM »
I have never been quite sure how to feel  about telltale previous successful franchises. They have not been my cup of tea and I had never bothered to finish an episode never mind purchasing a series. However I had hoped the success may lead to more pure adventure game being funded, the risk of course was that developers would follow the telltale model due to their success. Thankfully the genre seems to be alive and kicking with so many varied expressions in the pipelines

I do believe The Walking Dead / Heavy Rain style could be one of the future paths for the genre. I think it is a style that needs to b developed, it clearly needs more game play elements and in the case of TWD(which isn't such an issue in Heavy Rain) the decisions you make must have an impact and not just be illusion.. I would love to see a pure adventure incorporate some of the decision making in a similar manner to these games

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 11:01:55 AM »
      The tv show The Walking Dead is enjoyable to watch. It is very graphic in nature and like others of said kind of depressing too.  Based on a series of graphic comics, which are better than the tv show, it follows a group of survivors of a infection that kills most of humanity and then turns them into mindless zombies.

The show is very popular but really goes no where. Many questions are left unanswered as of the close of season 3.  On a different note I believe that Breaking Bad is AMC's best series and am sad to see it canceled after this summer. 
**********Chadly*********************

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 07:04:23 AM »
I'm definitely not into zombie stuff. At all. I'm sick of the trend that's been going on far too long now......but dangit if AMC's The Walking Dead didn't suck me RIGHT IN. It's just that good. It's excellent storytelling. It's one of those pieces of entertainment that I actually consider important to experience as much as Star Wars or Indiana Jones. If the graphic novels/comics are even better than the show, Robert Kirkman must be one heck of a writer. Because it's not about the zombies. And I think that's what makes it work. Yeah, it's dismal and dreary and disturbing sometimes, but man you just can't stop watching and wondering what's going to happen next. Completely not like any other zombie movie or story I've ever seen.

Played the first episode of the game at one point. Didn't really like it. Must finish it sometime....I just don't want to give Telltale any more of my money. :P

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 10:42:27 AM »
I agree 100%. I am bored to tears of all of the monster garbage. Enough of the vampire, zombie, etc. crap. However, AMC's The Walking Dead sucked me right in. It has real depth and human drama. It really is that good.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 12:17:04 PM »
I'm actually going to go out on a limb and say that I think the show is *gasp* BETTER THAN THE COMICS.

It's been my experience that the people who say the comics are better are usually saying so on the basis of the classic "the book is always better" argument.  The comics aren't better.  They're MORE disturbing and MORE shocking in the extreme and grotesque violence that befalls beloved characters, but they're not better.  The writing is campier and more over the top--the show is a more down to earth and arguably realistic portrayal of these characters and themes.  I like the comics, but I think the way the show has been handled (despite a few annoying character arcs) has been by and large much more enjoyable, gripping, and realistically human than the comics have ever been.  The comics feel like they've devolved into grotesque violence for the sake of shock value, and have lost the all important human element that the show does very very well.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »
Hahah - everyone says this is great.  I too absolutely hate Monster crap.  But I have not watched The Walking Dead, and I have no desire to at this very moment.  This may change in the future, but I'm too into Game of Thrones to devote my time now.

Bt