Author Topic: The death of Sierra and aventure gaming...  (Read 5506 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
The death of Sierra and aventure gaming...
« on: April 22, 2013, 11:14:53 PM »
I've heard/read vague bits about why Sierra and adventure games died and I just gotta know...

Why did it happen exactly?

DrSlash

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 727
    • buckazoid
    • View Profile
Re: The death of Sierra and aventure gaming...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 06:12:28 AM »
One interesting theory I've heard is that adventure games became unpopular after the introduction of the Internet, because it became possible just to look up the solution to any puzzle and finish a game in a couple of hours, while normally it would take months.

And no, adventure games aren't dead, they are just less popular then they used to be. Recent kickstarter projects show that there are still lots of adventure gamers. The problem is that publishers prefer other genres because they basically bring more money.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests".

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 07:27:46 AM »
There's a lot of theories about the death of adventure games. One which I subscribe to is that they sell no different than they used to, it's just that the overall market for computer games has become a lot bigger.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 08:55:26 AM »
There's a lot of theories about the death of adventure games. One which I subscribe to is that they sell no different than they used to, it's just that the overall market for computer games has become a lot bigger.

I agree with this.  This has actually become something of a problem in the games industry as a whole.  Publishers sink too much money into game projects, and therefore it puts the sales amounts necessary to make a profit through the roof.  Plus, as someone on another forum said on this topic, publishers don't just want to make a small amount on their games; they want to make MASSIVE profits.  There's a problem of short-sighted budgeting and unrealistic expectations that hangs over the games industry like a plague.  It was a problem for adventure games in the late 90s--Mask of Eternity, for example, was considered a financial failure despite it selling (by some accounts) more than all previous entries in the series combined--and it remains a problem for the larger games industry today.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 09:16:26 AM »

I agree with Klytos on that one.  20 years ago, not every household had a computer, let alone two or three.  Most of the people at my college had to use the university computer lab for various projects (writing programs, typing/printing research/compostition papers, graphing data from lab experiments).  More computers = more computer users = a more diverse group of (potential) gamers.

Tying in to that idea: seems like I read a rather snobby article over the last few years claiming that the folks who initially had home computers were more of the "elitist" / "intelligent" types who enjoyed reading and more "high-brow" / cerebral entertainment.  As more and more people became computer users, the market began drifting away from the thinking man's games and left the adventure genre far behind...  Not sure if I subscribe to such a harsh interpretation, but there may be a kernel of truth to it.

And don't forget about technology: the advancement of sound and graphics were things other game genres took advantage to their great success, like first-person shooters.  These technological advances, however, didn't necessarily help make the adventure games any more enticing or exciting, since graphic adventures -- the natural outgrowth of text-only adventures -- still relied on the basics of captivating story-telling and puzzles.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 09:31:06 AM »
Funny topic to bring up, because I wrote a blog about this subject today instead of paying attention to fractals in math class at University.

http://rabidpenguins.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/are-adventure-games-really-dead/

"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »
Mask of Eternity, for example, was considered a financial failure despite it selling (by some accounts) more than all previous entries in the series combined
On a side note, I remember that MoE was Sierra/VU's biggest seller after the then Tierra first released KQ1VGA.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 11:53:13 AM »
Yeah, the expectations of games - not only in size, quality of animation, graphics, etc - caused budgets to swell.  In the late 90's, we were caught up in that technology race - where things just kept advancing so quickly, and people always wanted to be at the forefront of technology.

I think we've reached a plateau now, though - as computers have become so commonplace, we've almost settled into a more decent pace.  We're not always trying for the latest in technology - there's still development, but it's not a fever pitch.

Adventure games suffered in those feverish days - but I think with a new stability in the market, they'll find their place again.

Bt

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 01:02:51 PM »
I always thought that adventure games lay, for the most part, dormant after the decline of Sierra.  It never died but rather the focus was on other genres.  I've seen a number of games released (both fan-made and commercial) released over the years.  Some great, some good, some mediocre, but they were still there to play.  Klytos pretty much hit it on the head in his blog post.  The deluge of RPGs, FPSs, RTSs, and other three-letter acronyms pretty much buried the adventure genre.  With the resurgence thanks largely to Kickstarter we're seeing plenty of great looking games coming out over the next year or two.  But it's still a small percentage of the overall gaming population.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 08:10:47 AM »
       I have to agree with both Klytos and Intendant S'es posts.  Frankly I am tired of fps and mediocre rts games.  I used to own a PS3 and a Xbox 360 but sold them because of all the repetion in games.  I have also noticed that the games are way too easy as well having no puzzles.  When I pay 60 plus dollars for a game, defeat it in a couple hours I Feel like my money is wasted.  Yes I am aware of Rental agencies which I use before I purchase the game.

Take a look at the computer game selection next time you go to a retail store.  It is virtually extinct.  The genre in games now sadly focuses on console games.  Why I ask?  My 2000 dollar computer is five times more powerful graphics and CPU wise than an Xbox or PS3.  Also while I am pissing and moaning, I am tired of MMO's had my fill of WOW, Diablo, etc.  Those games you have to buy and then pay a monthly fee to play, all except Diablo.

With the Kickstarter movement I beleive the adventure game movement will resume.  Folks like I.A., Himilaya, Two Guys from Andromeda and others will be able I hope to rekindle the types of games I enjoy playing. 

In the end the market for these type of games (adventure) will dictate whether they get made.  Folks like us who support the above groups HAVE To educate younger audiences to play these types of games. :)

Chadly
**********Chadly*********************

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 02:28:25 PM »
GameStop stopped selling PC games a long time ago.  They only do pre-orders these days.  Which pissed me off greatly when I found out about it.  I still use it for PS3 games, though.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 10:42:37 PM »
It is going to be interesting to see how the kickstarted adventure games go commercially. Even the really successful ones have been supported by relatively small number of backers who have paid a premium for rewards and to breathe life into the genre. If a number of these games sell well then it is going to be a huge shot in the arm for the genre and will probably mean a lot more publisher funds available to adventure game developers. If they flop I think it will continue how it has been for much of the 2000's with the odd big commercial title, but the majority of games being produced by the indie scene. 

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 02:26:56 AM »
      Indie game designers are great. It is my hope that folks like  I.A. And others are comercially a success.  New blood for an old genre. Or people like myself who grew up playing Sierra and Lucas Arts type games.  Revitalizing adventures games is the goal.  It's starting to happen because of Kickstarter.  Big companies seem to want to make fps nowadays cause that what sells sadly. I am tired of the same old shit.  But I guess you go with what sells if you are a developer.  :P
**********Chadly*********************