Author Topic: Your Introduction to Point and Click Adventure Games  (Read 17005 times)

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: Your Introduction to Point and Click Adventure Games
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 05:41:28 PM »
I played black cauldron pre KQ I think, but was it point and click?  :)

The original wasn't, I don't think--but someone made a nifty point and click remake of it several years ago that's still floating around.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 06:34:02 PM »
I played black cauldron pre KQ I think, but was it point and click?  :)

The original wasn't, I don't think--but someone made a nifty point and click remake of it several years ago that's still floating around.

Someone made a PNC remake of Black Cauldron?  You don't happen to know the link, do you?  I'd love to give it a try.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 07:07:30 PM »
I have it, and here it is, to share with the world!

http://www.infamous-adventures.com/qfi/bc_remake.zip

I did find the author's site for it, the game is there too, but I put it on my server just to be sure. "Dream Master" is his name.

http://tg_comics.tripod.com/bc.html

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Jerminator

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 07:09:12 PM »
Yeah that's true, it wasn't point and click.

Here's another link http://sciprogramming.com/fangames.php

Anyway I guess my first P&C game would have been KQ5 then.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »
Yeah, the remake is sweet--it uses all the original graphics, but adds just a few enhancements here and there.  The P&C controls make the game much more enjoyable to play in my opinion--I hated using the F-keys in the original.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 07:16:17 PM »
Oh!  That's a different version that the one I posted Jerm!  Yours is made in actual SCI!  The one I linked is made in AGS!  Wow!  Two different versions!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Jerminator

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 07:24:30 PM »
Haha awesome! Yea I guess I've been plying the SCI version then. It's sweet!

Shadolyst

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 976
  • Characters & Environments Artist/Animator
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 07:40:15 PM »
Oh adventure talk! Hooray!! Hmm... let's see... my first P&C... I think it was KQV :) An old acquaintance introduced me to it. Gosh, I spent way too many hours playing that game! To this day I can quote pretty much every line word for word, doing the voices too haha. Then I moved on to KQVI and eventually Quest for Glory. Love those games as well, I actually re-bought the collection recently. Good times  :D
Jonathan M. Stoll

"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests".

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 08:34:30 PM »
Hmmm... I can't remember whether my first PC P&C was King's Quest V, Secret of Monkey Island, or maybe Simon the Sorcerer. However, while typing that sentence, I recalled how early on it was that I played Maniac Mansion on the NES and tried to find every alternate way to handle each puzzle. I think that would have to have been the first by far.

Sirisul

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 10:03:15 PM »
Hmmm, it was hero quest (and Thexder, I know, not an adventure). My dad came home with a computer from work and his friend had put these games on it. I must have played it for weeks.  I have the great memory of myself and my two brothers with my father huddled around the computer, at night, whispering to each other because my father was playing the thief and he was in the middle of breaking into the sheriff's house.

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 06:28:07 AM »
First point and click game was Black Cauldron. Great game, actually played it again the other day. Have video of me playing it.
You must have had an Apple if it was Point & Click.

Quest For Glory Fan

• Super Fan and Wonder Boy
  • Lackey
  • Liked: 23
  • Super Fan and Wonder Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 02:10:55 PM »
My Story is very similar to Broomie's brothers and all. The first game I remember playing was King's Quest V, I'm sure there were some before that but I very vividly remember just wandering about in the woods and then the witch would come and turn graham into a frog. It terrified me so badly, I would hide under the desk trying to click restore blindly because the image of frog graham staring down the camera was too scary. it was around 15 years later that I beat that game.

The first adventure game I finished was either Full Throttle or Curse of Monkey Island. They were both so easy compared to Sierra games that they made for good starters. When people ask about starting adventure games those two or The Dig are always my recommendation.

What makes them so good is you can play them like interactive stories. I've played Full Throttle start to finish (having a save to skip that weird combat bit) in front of two friends separately just to have them watch it. I played Curse of Monkey Island straight through in two sittings with my niece (11) and she said it was her "Favourite cartoon ever" and she really like how Guybrush was relatively unfunny in a world of crazy characters.

I played The Dig through with my fiance and her thoughts after praising it for hours were "Why isn't this in theatres right now?" now I've got all of those people hooked into my telltale account, because they're also easier games with focus on story and jokes, and I just light up when I get the occasional email about "Oh man, when Homestar races the hurdle the turtle and curdle....d milk it's so good" or, "This New Monkey Island is as funny as the ones you showed me."

rogerxy

• Lackey
  • Liked: 2
  • Serious Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »
My 1st point-n-click was "The Secret of Monkey Island" on Amiga. Think I was 12ish
You can have anything you want if you will give up the belief that you can't have it.

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 03:17:35 PM »
My first point n click game was KQ5.  I wasn't very happy with the change over from parser. And I am still not happy with point n click.  Half the challenge of the old text/agi games was trying to figure out how to tell the computer what you wanted to do. It taught me spelling and grammar. It also taught me logic.  With the advent of point n click halfa the challenge goes out the window.

Like others my first Sierra game was Kq3 on my trusty Tandy tx 1000, way back in 1987. Good times all around.
**********Chadly*********************

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 04:41:32 PM »
My first point n click game was KQ5.  I wasn't very happy with the change over from parser. And I am still not happy with point n click.  Half the challenge of the old text/agi games was trying to figure out how to tell the computer what you wanted to do. It taught me spelling and grammar. It also taught me logic.  With the advent of point n click halfa the challenge goes out the window.

Text adventures and the early Sierra parser-based games helped me immensely with grammar, syntax, and critical thinking.  I really do miss those days.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."