Author Topic: Other Kickstarter Projects  (Read 61607 times)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: Other Kickstarter Projects
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 12:34:27 PM »
Yeah, I know is almost a pejorative term in the face of what we do, but I definitely do refer to our games as "Retro-Style Adventure Games".

Which doesn't mean our gameplay, story and art-work is any less than theirs, though.

Bt

"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Jerminator

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 12:37:25 PM »
a modern adventure game

I have to wonder--what does that even mean??

Definitely virtual reality.

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 09:25:52 PM »
Yeah, I know is almost a pejorative term in the face of what we do...

I guess, but I don't necessarily see "modern" necessarily as a compliment either.  Just an adjective describing an (obviously vague) theme or aesthetic.  In regards to the arts, it means various things, but in regards to games, to me (soapbox) it simply means defining the game's audiovisual style by using the most current technology at your disposal that can be budgeted in, either to tell stories can be told which, perhaps, couldn't be told..  or just because.  Games that fall in the latter category are, in my mind, the rule, not the exception.

I don't need to tell a group of classic adventure gamers that there is beauty in boiling an epic story down to it's integral parts, and then building up supporting characteristics around that core.

For the record (now that I have to defend myself! AVAST!) ... I truly feel that this team has worked within the constraints of the template left us by Sierra, and produced a product that feels lush & colorful, deep & moody, while packing in at least one grin enducing quip (often several) in each area.  That can't be easy, nor cheap, and I respect you all enormously for it.  If I didn't feel strongly about this design aesthetic, firmly rooted in memory, nor believe that you folks would be true to it, I wouldn't have pledged, nor continue to volunteer my time  :)

On the contrary, it's a pleasure.
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 09:26:27 PM »

The next Leisure Suit Larry, an Oculus Rift exclusive.
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »
a modern adventure game

I have to wonder--what does that even mean??

Hahaha...you clever bastard.  ;)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2013, 11:13:07 AM »
    What are your most anticipated Kickstarter games to be released?  My list is long and distinguished kind of like my.........hair!  Here is my top 5.    1. Quest for Infamy.  2. Spaceventure.  3. Leisure suit Larry Reloaded.  4.  Hero U.  5.  Wasteland 2.  So bring on the gaming goodness!  Retro style games are back!  Hurray!! :)
**********Chadly*********************

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013, 08:57:48 PM »
Damn, forgot about this thread.  Here's a few adventure game projects currently running:

• Nelly Cootalot is a traditional point-and-click adventure game where you play as a pirate on a quest to rescue a bunch of hypnotized birds from the clutches of evil Baron Widebeard. If you're a fan of Monkey Island, I'd highly suggest you give this a glance as it looks to have the same charm and humor.
    They made a previous game (called Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy) that is freeware and they have a link to it on the project's front page.
  • Ages of Madness is a Lovecraft-style point-and-click adventure game where you play a young student named Balthasar.  You're tasked to unravel a mystery in the ancient Middle East, and the fate of the world could rest in your hands as the conspiracy unfolds.  If you're a fan of the Cthulhu Mythos then you should check this one out.  Go mad...or go home.
  • The creator of Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood, Doug TenNapel, is now developing yet another claymation pen-and-paper adventure game by the name of Armikrog. It stars a space explorer named Tommynaut and his blind dog-like companion Beak-Beak in a sci-fi adventure. As the project page promises: "They crash land on a weird planet and end up locked in a mysterious fortress called Armikrog. Then...the adventure begins!"
    We have not one, but TWO articles up on the KickstartVentures blog for you to check out, too:
    A new "Currently Kickstarting" by Michael Shaw (http://www.kickstartadventure.com/home/currently-kickstarting-armikrog/)
    A guest article by fellow AGRM member Speedster (http://www.kickstartadventure.com/home/welcome-back-a-game-designer-who-wields-the-pen-of-10-zaniness/)
  • What do you get when you take a traditional point-and-click adventure game and add a liberal dose of Boggle to the mix? You get Spellirium, a fun looking blend of story and spelling game. Now, it's not on Kickstarter or Indigogo, but they instead created their own funding page. Head on over to http://spellirium.com/ and check it out.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

janx

• Recruit
  • Liked: 27
  • Legends Never Sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2013, 07:32:51 PM »
Hey,

I have kicked the majority of the games mentioned here, and I am l pumped ( meaning spent more than my wife would care to know) on some of them, whilst others I chipped in the minimum just to have a look, however, what I would like to know is; what are you playing right now, whilst waiting (agonizingly) for all these games to be released?
"Oh don't give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit.
No, don't you give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit.
For my head will fly, my tongue will lie, my eyes will fry and I may die.
Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit"

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2013, 10:14:28 PM »
Funny enough, the first games I've played in a while because I've been working on QFI have been a few of the Sierra titles (which I picked up really cheap on GoG.)

Gave Gabriel Knight I a crack again, still don't like it. Too wordy.

Have been having a good laugh at LSL7 and just played through SQ4 again.

I've also started The Longest Journey, which I had never played before and I LOVE!
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Quest For Glory Fan

• Super Fan and Wonder Boy
  • Lackey
  • Liked: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2013, 11:21:48 PM »
I found dreamfall to be wordier than GK but that's just me. I recently tried playing Sam and Max hit the road. Is it just me or was that game particularly difficult?

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2013, 12:44:05 AM »
I've been spending a lot of time lately in the beta for Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded making sure that it'll be as bug free as possible when it releases.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2013, 01:12:57 AM »
I found dreamfall to be wordier than GK but that's just me. I recently tried playing Sam and Max hit the road. Is it just me or was that game particularly difficult?

It's just you.  ;)  Nah, all the classic Lucasarts games were at least reasonably challenging.  I don't recall any of them being overly difficult or obscure though, at least not in the way some of the Sierra puzzles were.  Sam & Max has a few clever spots, but never anything that stretches the bounds of logic.  Personally, I think it's one of Lucasarts' very best.

I also thought TLJ was at least as wordy as GK, if not more.  My problem with GK stems not so much from the wordiness as it does from the fact that the story is just kinda boring, in my opinion.  It's nowhere near as bad as GK2 though.  *shudder*

As for me and classic games, I recently bought Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 from GoG and have been trying to get into the first one, but I just don't know if I have the patience for it.  It seems overly complicated given how bland the graphics are.  Don't know if I'm going to be able to do it.  :)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2013, 01:34:28 AM »
I tried Baldur's Gate during the Project Eternity Kickstarter.  I got about halfway through before I gave up.  The plot wasn't engaging enough for me.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2013, 02:34:09 AM »
BGII is much superior to the first one. I very much enjoyed it, as well as Dragonshard and Demon Stone. They're both pretty good RPG's.

Quest For Glory Fan

• Lackey
  • Liked: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2013, 10:12:20 AM »
There's also a modding guide that puts Baldur's Gate 1 into 2 and makes it one massive game using the engine of the second one. It is a very complex system but the more you play with it the easier it seems to get. It's more of a tactical battler than anything I've played.

edit: here, dug it up. http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/cebua/step_by_step_moddingguide_turn_baldurs_gate_and/