Author Topic: Game crashes during slaver quest.  (Read 4747 times)

unikronspark

Game crashes during slaver quest.
« on: April 29, 2015, 09:07:35 PM »
Hi there,

I saw that someone else had previously had an issue with this quest, only instead of being stuck in limbo after having killed the slaver, my game crashes.  It doesn't matter what I do - whether I try to sneak around, run out, or stand still, I still get the same error message.  Unfortunately for this particular area I only have one save file, so I was not able to go back and try something else.

I wanted to post a picture of the error message, but I don't know how to use Windows 8, so here is the text:

An error has occurred.  Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 3.3.2.0)

in "GlobalScript.asc", line 886

Error: Room.GetDrawingSurfaceForBackground: invalid background number specified

I've actually gotten this crash and error message combo previously in act one, when I was trying to open the bank safe before I was maybe supposed to?

As per the previous post, I purchased this game from GoG a few days ago.  Any help would be greatly appreciated because I can't continue playing and I am fully addicted.

Many thanks!

Unikron

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
Re: Game crashes during slaver quest.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 12:00:57 AM »
i had that, and changed the resolution and fixed the issue
just had to change it to the stock res vs the high res,
im going to assume you have it set on some high res

try in settings just as a test to change it to like 320x or the one above it, max 640x480

see what happens:)

this is an odd issue but happened after 1.1 for me, and i fixed it by just setting the res to the stock low res, (trust me it wont hurt the games visuals)

just test it out!
lemme know
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 12:13:50 AM »
Hi there,

I saw that someone else had previously had an issue with this quest, only instead of being stuck in limbo after having killed the slaver, my game crashes.  It doesn't matter what I do - whether I try to sneak around, run out, or stand still, I still get the same error message.  Unfortunately for this particular area I only have one save file, so I was not able to go back and try something else.

I wanted to post a picture of the error message, but I don't know how to use Windows 8, so here is the text:

An error has occurred.  Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 3.3.2.0)

in "GlobalScript.asc", line 886

Error: Room.GetDrawingSurfaceForBackground: invalid background number specified

I've actually gotten this crash and error message combo previously in act one, when I was trying to open the bank safe before I was maybe supposed to?

As per the previous post, I purchased this game from GoG a few days ago.  Any help would be greatly appreciated because I can't continue playing and I am fully addicted.

Many thanks!

Unikron

I'll look into this and let you know what I find out about the code on line 886 of the Global Script and see if we can get you going again.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

unikronspark

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 08:52:24 AM »
i had that, and changed the resolution and fixed the issue
just had to change it to the stock res vs the high res,
im going to assume you have it set on some high res

try in settings just as a test to change it to like 320x or the one above it, max 640x480

Thank you for your response!  I tried this on both 320 and 640 and it didn't work. :(  I even tried changing it from Direct 3D to Direct Draw as I read somewhere that that may make a difference when experiencing difficulties.  You had the exact same error message in the same place?

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »
I know exactly what's happening.  If you send me a save game - info at infamous-quests.com - I can fix it for you.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

unikronspark

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 02:49:28 PM »
It is sent, thank you soooooo much Blackthorne!!!!

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 03:27:04 PM »
I know exactly what's happening...

Bt

Me, too, but I'm not telling...   :-X

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 05:55:03 PM »
Saved game sent.  I fixed the code too, so in a future update, the problem shouldn't happen.

Bt

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 11:59:43 PM »
goatmeal lolol

and bt this happened to me also after the 1.1 update in steam
i just changed the res shrug, not sure whats up
and i do know ags code pretty well, just might be a pointing issue like htmls hrefs=  lol

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 08:45:35 AM »
It actually has nothing to do with resolutions - this specific problem would occur in any resolution and was particular to those set of screens.

Bt

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 02:30:21 PM »
ty bt for the cryptic answer heheh

all good mate just keep pluggin away the bugs will never end just sweep up best ye can :)

hehe