Author Topic: How evil is too evil?  (Read 19091 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
How evil is too evil?
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:12:55 PM »
So is there anything that would be considered too evil to show or portray in a game like this?  Should there be "no limit" to telling a dark story, or should there be some boundaries?

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
Re: How evil is too evil?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:04:09 PM »
Again, this isn't a game about being "evil", so naturally there are a lot of things that wouldn't be really appropriate.  The game is fun and lighthearted, and a little lacking in morals in places, but not evil. 

The old adventure game "I have no mouth and I must scream" had a plot which was definitely about evil and did cover some very strong themes, but I think it got away with it because it was approached as social commentary.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:28:23 PM »
Yeah, this game is not about being "evil".  It's more about being a scoundrel.  Big difference.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »
I wouldn't have pledged for QFI if Roehm was just an evil villain out to pillage the women and rape the land.  I like the idea of playing a huge jackass who makes snarky and witty comments and does a bunch of "grey" things, though.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »
You'll love our next game starring Hugh Jass.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 09:43:09 PM »
I wouldn't have pledged for QFI if Roehm was just an evil villain out to pillage the women and rape the land. 

I would!  ;D

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 329
  • You can't do that; at least not now.
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:48:04 PM »
I wouldn't have pledged for QFI if Roehm was just an evil villain out to pillage the women and rape the land. 

I would!  ;D
I think you're looking on the wrong forums for your kicks. qfi is a comedy nostalgia soaked adventure. you play a hardknock but far from evil.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests
--------------------------------------------------------
I am a Narrator, and I ride and I ride.

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 09:56:26 PM »
There are certainly games about being evil - Crystal Shard's Quest for Yrolg comes to mind immediately, as do games like Dungeon Keeper where you play as a boss setting traps for heroes. The problem is that not many people would be motivated to play as an evil character, particularly if they're as evil as you seem to enjoy. I think the element of choice would be a critical factor - something like inFAMOUS, where you can choose to be good or evil, and either is a viable way to play the character. Being evil seems a bit more palatable when you're doing it because you want to, rather than because the game forces you to. I can't imagine why that is.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 09:58:55 PM »
Lol, I'm not looking for a rape simulator but I'm just hoping Roehm's a really, really bad guy.  My favorite stuff in QFG was always the thieving, but thieves would still spend 97% of their time being a goody-two-shoes.

It'll be nice to be doing some criminal stuff for a change and not just focusing on being a hero.

As for the option of being pure evil, the Fallout series is probably the best example.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 10:12:04 PM »
You'll definitely get your chance to cause a little mayhem--certainly moreso than in Quest For Glory--it's just not the sole focus of the game.  :)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 10:32:56 PM »
Oh yeah, Malcolm's Revenge was a good game too!

The 3rd act of the game kinda sucked though, and at the end he's forced to be a hero. (even if he chooses to be a bastard still)

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 01:12:50 AM »
Lol, I'm not looking for a rape simulator but I'm just hoping Roehm's a really, really bad guy.  My favorite stuff in QFG was always the thieving, but thieves would still spend 97% of their time being a goody-two-shoes.

It'll be nice to be doing some criminal stuff for a change and not just focusing on being a hero.

As for the option of being pure evil, the Fallout series is probably the best example.

To be fair, I can see your point in that it's no fun (for me at least) to play a goody-goody-all-the-time character in a game.  Heck, I have to spend so much of "real" life being that way... ;)  You know, when the concept of this game first came out, I want to say I remember that it did focus more on the "what if you COULD play the bad guy?" (if I remember correctly that is.)  I was stoked at first...but you know they made an excellent point when they moved away from the "evil villain" main character.  It might be fun to play at FIRST, but I bet it'd get old & pointless after a bit, kinda like playing Grand Theft Auto just to run over & beat up people for fun to take their money.  And how would you even program a character who is (obviously) insane?  You can't predict it because with a character like that, there is no rational thought processes.

...then again...it's midnight here & pretty sure I'm just rambling and need some sleep.   :o

Oh but to what you said should be "off-limits" in a game like this?  Hmm...no harming of children?  I dunno really, but it takes a lot to shock me...

I liked Malcom's Revenge too.   :P

Jerminator

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 06:07:12 AM »
Hmmm what's off limits? Well I would love to see an adventure game that didn't have any limits, besides the just outright insane.

It would quickly become a problem I think to leave everything open to the player. It has to be limited somehow for the sake of the story line in my opinion. Perhaps you could kill whoever you wanted but it would have to result in a death or a restore. Why? Because that character may have been important to the story to complete the game and by killing him or burning down his house you would have in fact made it impossible to finish the game. Not saying unimportant characters would qualify in that scenario.

Game's like Skyrim have to limit their open world, for example when your'e on a mission with an important character, that character is invincible throughout and won't die unless you do.

Besides the technical aspects for the story I think Mr. Roehm is more or less just a questionable guy. Yes you can get away with murder and do shady things, but there are several ways to reach your goal and I like that. Most of all a lot of the decisions for doing outright terrible things should result in a bit of humor. That's what I think will make QFI really follow through.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 06:50:08 AM »
Jerm is right there, I don't think you can script a game that is "evil," as evil is by definition insanity and the insane person would just through an area and kill everyone because they felt like it. You can't tell a story like that. You really move into FPS games with the just kill everyone idea.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 07:48:28 AM »
Yes - like I say, it's not about being evil, but more about being a scoundrel.  Against the grain, against the law - against the "law" isn't always evil.  Think of Han Solo in that respect.  A smuggler, a knave... not an insane murderer.

Bt