Author Topic: RIP Robin Williams  (Read 4788 times)

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
RIP Robin Williams
« on: August 11, 2014, 09:25:58 PM »
Head title says it all

claiming it was suicide which I cant believe but..
fellow fans of him, moment of silence..
hope he is laughin in a better place .. though I dont believe in such things, grr

missed he will be

:'(
"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Robin Williams
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »
and a happy picture of me and someone who loved robin williams just as much as I did
just got off the phone with her about it
those that know who she is, mc awesome,
those that dont  google?

on left is me, after a bad religion show in hollywood hills at Kats house
on right Kat Von D my homie :P   (and yes .. we were very hungover hence the sunglasses)
I knews her when she was fat!

we talked about this just a bit ago and seem to agree he didnt take his own life, at least not on purpose

grr

anyway thats me and kat von d
we go to concerts together sometimes dinner at her place (its niice vs her miami house)

shameless self promotion here but it made me feel better to hear from her
dont have many friends up here in north cali im socal in my bones I just dont fit in up here.
Need a beach

PS
hold the vampire twig guy adrian brody comments :P
we are cousins.. jk

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:32:54 PM »
So say that I am heartbroken would be a slight understatement.  Guy was a hero of mine from when I was very, very young.  I always wished I could be as funny, talented and as brilliant as him.  I'll certainly miss his presence in this world. 

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 07:55:49 AM »
Well, I run the risk of sounding like a total dick here, and if so, I apologize.  I just don't see why the world is so saddened by the passing of celebrities.  Every post on every social media outlet feels to be about his death and how upset/heartbroken/saddened/devastated...etc. by his passing.  To be honest, I just don't get it.  If I were his family member, then yes, I would be grieving over his death.  He made many many many people laugh many many times.  But personally, what do I have to be sad about?  I wont get to see what he would have made that would make me laugh again in the future?  Should I be devastated every time an icon retires then?  It is a tragic loss to his family, friends, etc.  He had so much to offer, even to the world. I get that.  But the things he did give to the world, aren't gone.  It reminds me of Princess Diana.  I had the same issue then.  Maybe I am just a heartless bastard. We don't see the same outpouring of grief when children are tragically killed (at least not unless it appears to be racially motivated).  What is it that makes it so different when it is the loss of someone famous? 
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 09:02:50 AM »
For me, it's because I was personally touched by his work; this man, though personally a stranger to me, helped influence and shape my life.  I was inspired by his work, and the artistic gifts he chose to share with the public.

As some who has, on a MUCH MUCH smaller level, shared something of themselves, something personal that I created, with the public, I can relate to the kind of struggle, internally, that occurs when you share something so intimate - a piece of yourself, really, is out there.

For me, I mourn the loss of any future work from the man.  I also mourn for his family - he was someone's dad, someone's friend, someone's beloved.  I mourn for the man who faced his own personal demons during every waking moment, and I'm sad that he came to the end that he did.  I suppose, also, I think in my heart too, I would hope others in my life would feel the same compassion for me, my family and loved ones if the situation were reversed.

This is why I grieve. Everyone's different, Chuck - and it's okay to not feel devastated.  Some of us just have a more personal connection to things, but it makes none of us better or worse than each other.  In the end, we're all in this thing together - and if I remember to take something from this incident, it's just that simple old reminder to be thankful and love the friends and family I have.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 09:31:05 AM »
No doubt Steve.  Your perspective is always helpful.  I guess the point I tend to not have/see is the personal connection to someone with whom I have never met.  I can see that people can have a deep impact on someone else without them knowing them.  For me, I don't know/can't think of anyone who has made that type of impact on me without knowing them personally.  But I can respect that others have different experience there.

The notion that he was someones dad, son, brother, etc. is true for everyone.  I worked for a time at a funeral home and saw that every day.  I saw those individuals grieve.  Perhaps from that experience, over time I learned to separate myself from others when they were grieving.  I feel for them, but I do not grieve with them, if that makes any sense.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 11:00:20 AM »
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sympathy

See also:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/empathy

I get it Lamb.  My point is that people tend to feel significantly more, and many times it goes WAY beyond sympathy and or empathy for people that they have never met just because they were famous.  When one of my older brother's good friends died in a car accident in high school, it hit me pretty hard, even though I didn't know him very well, but I knew him and I know my brother and I could see how it effected him.  With Robin Williams, or any other celebrity, I didn't know him, the large majority of people never met him, nor do they personally know his family, etc.  It is quite different than sympathy and/or empathy.  I just can't quite put my finger on what it is.

Bt summed it up pretty when when he explained that he was more intimately connected with him even though he didn't know him personally.  In a way, to me, that's the only thing that really makes sense.  I just don't have those connections with people that I don't know.[size=78%] [/size]

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 11:19:46 AM »
You don't have to know someone personally to feel a strong sense of sympathy or empathy towards them or their work.  In this case there is also the added tragedy of mental illness and suicide, which many people personally identify with.  As for celebrities, I don't think I'd feel as sad about just anyone.  Depending on how much his movies and personality impacted us growing up, some people are going to feel quite a lot about it.  We're right at the age where we literally grew up with this man and his personality, portraying some of the most iconic characters from the movies of our formative years.  He inspired a LOT of people, and particularly people our age--who probably make up the largest demographic of vocal, socially connected internet users.  So it makes sense that we'd be hearing about it a lot more than some other famous deaths.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 11:42:46 AM »
Chuck, I love you man. Seriously. That is beyond 100% how I feel. I don't get it either.

For me I don't invest in a celebrity as a person because I don't know them and have little-to-no chance of ever meeting them or striking up a friendship. I invest in their work of course and in that respect I'm sorry that he won't get the chance to make more movies that entertain or make me think. But those things I already love and have invested in are still there and made no less real or powerful because he's now gone. I watched Dead Poets Society tonight because it was on TV and the networks are cashing in and it's just as powerful now. Listening to John Lennon sing Imagine is no more or less powerful because he's gone. (Except there's a certain irony in that example now that I think about it... but the point still stands.)

As I'm writing this I'm really thinking about it and I suppose one thing is that people link the work and the person together and that's where the sympathy or outpouring of grief comes from because something may have touched them in an artists work and they therefore feel a connection with that person, however that may be. I think about Good Morning Vietnam and that amazing scene of combat is shown to Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World and it genuinely moves me, maybe some people make a more emotional connection than I do.

On a cynical note, I would say a lot of the outpourings of grief aren't real they're just a way of saying hey I saw this news, how interesting and by the way there's a car crash outside on the road let's go and look at it.

Let's finish this rambling post off with this.

A chicken and an egg are lying in bed next to each other. The egg is smoking a cigarette and turns to the chicken and says 'I think we answered that question!'

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 11:47:13 AM »
Absolutely.  All of those points make perfect sense.  Even though I feel as though I grew up with his films and his characters, and some of them helped me to understand myself (Dead Poets Society), his passing, although shocking, tragic, sad, etc. for whatever the reason just has not hit me the way it has others.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 11:51:17 AM »
"The problem is God gave man a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time."

--Robin Williams

God bless that man.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 04:05:46 PM »
well for me, as BT said,
major influence
same as mel brooks
or the pyhton gang

as for what makes him better or worse than a normal person say a car crash and a kid and dad die

NOTHING makes it different
I go by the mini grave with flowers,  I frown , I think hope they didnt suffer, and thats that

as for Robin williams, well
he is where I got loads of my humor from,
same again with mel,

I didnt get that from a random person dying that I didnt know

but im realllly empathetic, and sympathetic.
when anyone dies, or thing, even cats, or dogs I get all jerked up

sigh

Kat von d knew robin, well enough to say things I shouldnt repeat in forums yet but
its why I posted that pic of her and I
and so you could see my ugly mug smiling instead of frowning

its also never the question WHY... the question is always how..
imo

hung himself over his daughters neglect from what I know,  and man that can happen to strong rich funny robin, im only really scared about my kid being 14 she is ahh..
well

didnt mean to make this a   who cares thread. but I understand all the views here, just wanted to say RIP

and yep again I say the same thing about random strangers I just dont mull over anything to long,
just sad really to know his future work is gone,

annnyway sorry?