Author Topic: Pinkerton Road's Mystery Game X is...  (Read 13460 times)

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
Re: Pinkerton Road's Mystery Game X is...
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 12:25:57 PM »
If Vivendi wasn't so moronic and didn't throw out everything Sierra did then it wouldn't have been an issue. Game sources need to be preserved. It's too bad nobody had the foresight for this (or a single care) back in the day.

Welcome to the modern corporate mind. Obsess over the quarterly profit margin, even if you have to mortgage the future viability of the company to do it. There is no tomorrow.

The expanded interface is because of customer feedback. They had people complain that they wanted to open something instead of taking it, etc. The result was the monstrosity used in GK1. It really adds nothing and is a real pain for those who switch between actions via the right click. Having to click several times just to get back to the previous one used is a bit much. Lamb is right, if it actually added something, perhaps it might be worth it, but it didn't.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 12:47:57 PM »
I'd hope they'd consider at least adding hot keys--that would help mitigate the annoying amount of extra clicks for sure.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »
Yeah.  If there was one gripe I had about the game it was the extra icons.  It was a bitch trying to cycle through them all.  I ended up using the top bar most of the time.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Collector

• Villain
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 02:31:56 PM »
Yeah.  If there was one gripe I had about the game it was the extra icons.  It was a bitch trying to cycle through them all.  I ended up using the top bar most of the time.

I take it that you are usually a right clicker in Sierra games, too.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 03:08:40 PM »
I, honestly, use the top bar more!  Old habits.  Not that I don't right click, but damn.  I just noticed. I love the bar.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Collector

• Villain
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 03:29:26 PM »
I mostly use the right click unless what I want is one back and would have to cycle through all just to go back. Then I usually use the bar. But then, the best interfaces allow you to do the most common thing multiple ways. No one way is best in all cases.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »

I take it that you are usually a right clicker in Sierra games, too.

Yeah.  I tend to cycle through the icons.  The problem is that I tend to overshoot and have to go through it again.  And again.  You can actually see some of that in my "Backer Spotlight" video for LSL: Reloaded.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaV1qRPWbX0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaV1qRPWbX0</a>

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 05:45:01 PM »
I hate Telltale games so much.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 07:02:31 PM »

Tell us how you really feel lamb.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 07:07:57 PM »
Where did that come from?  I mean, I agree, they're not very good....

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 07:27:53 PM »

Do tell.  I don't mind 'em myself.  Not my favorites but I don't hate 'em.

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 07:35:09 PM »
Am I the only one that used Sierra's exclusive middle-click to alternate between Walk and the last selected icon?

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Am I the only one that used Sierra's exclusive middle-click to alternate between Walk and the last selected icon?

I'm sorry, MI, but we weren't all driving lamborghinis and dating supermodels and using 3-button mice back in the early 90s.  Way to promote class envy, man.

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 08:15:46 PM »
I think we're all just upset for the days when the Walk cursor was a holdover from the text parser-based games and navigating around obstacles required a separate Travel cursor, which was later renamed to Walk when Sierra cruelly decided to remove the so-called "antiquated" function that nobody actually used unless they wanted to relive their experiences of climbing the narrow mountain ledges in King's Quest III and IV in V, a.k.a. the real way to play any Sierra adventure game. Altered Destiny recognized that. Why couldn't SCI 1.000.1000?

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 08:19:55 PM »
Well, the travel cursor in early Sierra games couldn't pathfind. In fact, I think it was far more annoying than using the actual keys to move around in. Neither could Altered Destiny, actually. It wasn't until they got rid of the parser that pathfinding was programmed into the SCI interpreter.

Quote from: Lambonius
I'm sorry, MI, but we weren't all driving lamborghinis and dating supermodels and using 3-button mice back in the early 90s.  Way to promote class envy, man.

Well, neither did I. But I did in the aughts as I'm sure you did as well. :P