Author Topic: Pinkerton Road's Mystery Game X is...  (Read 13459 times)

Brainiac

• Lackey
  • Liked: 58
  • Game Guru
    • View Profile
Pinkerton Road's Mystery Game X is...
« on: October 09, 2013, 09:45:19 AM »
...a 20th anniversary remake of Sins of the Fathers.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128517-Gabriel-Knight-Sins-of-the-Fathers-Remake-Coming-in-2014

Wait..."new art and voice-overs"? But...but...I want the Curry!

Anyways, this one is not crowdfunded and is officially licensed by Activision. The official site is right here: http://www.gabrielknight20th.com/
There is balance in all things. Live in symmetry with the world around you. If you must blow things up and steal from those around you, THAT'S WHAT RPGS ARE FOR!

Official Member of the VGL Street Team

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
Re: Pinkerton Road's Mystery Game X is...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »
Indeed.  Looking forward to it.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
If Vivendi wasn't so moronic and didn't throw out everything Sierra did then it wouldn't have been an issue. Game sources need to be preserved. It's too bad nobody had the foresight for this (or a single care) back in the day.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »
I personally think it is better to record new voices.  I can only guess they will need to add/remove dialog based on changes that end up being made to the game anyway.

If it were to be a 1:1 remake, I would then see a reason to want the old stuff (especially if they were planning on anything like the special editions of Monkey Island where you could switch between versions).  The thing is, with Gabriel Knight, I don't think a 1:1 remake is the best idea.  Then again, I didn't love the game to begin with so I am probably in the minority.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 02:19:25 PM »
I'm curious, what would you have changed?

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 02:27:40 PM »
That game was already so perfect...

I dunno, why not just rerelease it?  All the remakes (Earthworm Jim, Monkey Island 1) all just seem inferior, imo.  Usually only remakes of VGA games (like QFG 2) tend to be better I think.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 02:31:32 PM »
I'm curious, what would you have changed?

Pretty much all the voice acting, for starters.  I actually think GK is one of the more painful games to listen to, at least in terms of the main character voices.  Yes, they were known actors, but that doesn't mean they still didn't suck balls.  Tim Curry's Gabriel grates on my nerves to this day.  Don't even get me started on the narrator...

So yeah, I'm totally happy with the decision to re-record.

The other thing I would have changed is simplifying the interface (slightly.)  The additional icons were a bit superfluous, and didn't really add anything to the game that couldn't also have been done with the standard Hand icon.  It just made cycling through the icons more tedious, in my opinion.

I like the story well enough--definitely my favorite of the GK games.  And I LOVE the original background paintings.  It's a beautiful game, artistically.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 03:32:41 PM »
From what I remember I enjoyed the voice actors. The narrator didn't bother me. The score was easily the best part of the game for me, of course. :D

Also, disliking the extra icons? I thought that fewer icons dumbing the game down and making it too easy was the general consensus? Why don't they just go with KQ7's single icon interface then? :P

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 04:44:23 PM »
I'm not sure I'd want to change anything.  I know I'm a late-comer to the GK series, but I thought that the first game was pretty damn perfect.  And I only played it for the first time last year.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 04:56:35 PM »
Also, disliking the extra icons? I thought that fewer icons dumbing the game down and making it too easy was the general consensus? Why don't they just go with KQ7's single icon interface then? :P

Oh come on, now.  There is such a thing as over-complicating things--adding to a system that wasn't broken.

GK has literally more than double the amount of icons that the traditional Sierra multi-icon interface uses.  And every additional icon that was added covered a function that could have been performed by one of the basic icons (Walk, Look, Hand, Talk.)  Instead of Talk, there are Question and Exclaim icons--there is no reason that both actions couldn't be covered by the basic Talk icon.  Instead of Hand, there are Open/Close, Operate, Pick Up, and Move.  All of those actions in other Sierra games are covered by the Hand icon, depending on the context.  Those additional icons are completely unnecessary, and cycling through all those extra icons is a chore that bogs down the gameplay.

The difference between that and the complaints about the oversimplicity of the KQ7 interface is that the extra icons in GK don't really add anything to the game.  In KQ7, so much of the sense of interactivity is lost without being able to interact in multiple ways with everything.  It's a big difference.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 05:14:35 PM »
It's true - I agree.  I think they were trying something new in 1993, and maybe trying to bring a little "LucasArts" into the mix, but it doesn't work quite as well.  You could condense some of those icons into more basic functions.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 05:41:09 PM »
It's true - I agree.  I think they were trying something new in 1993, and maybe trying to bring a little "LucasArts" into the mix, but it doesn't work quite as well.  You could condense some of those icons into more basic functions.

Bt

The difference is that in Lucasarts games, every verb has a keyboard hotkey.  If Lucasarts had used a right-click-to-cycle system like Sierra, that many verbs wouldn't have worked for them either.  It's not necessarily about the complexity of the interface, it's more an issue of number of clicks needed to perform any given action that makes it tedious.

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 08:08:03 PM »
I think the game lacked exploration in general.  You had some areas you could go to on the map, each with 3 or so screens to visit.  It just felt too small to me.  I also thought the writing was just....bad.  No other way to really put it.  The graphics need a huge overhaul (which it is getting) because many rooms details blended together and you couldn't tell what you were looking at.  Also, almost all of the puzzles were straigt up dialog clicking without any real thought.  It needs better puzzles. 
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 08:31:08 PM »
Just buggin' you, Lamb. :)

Of course I see the issue of having too many interactions that can all be condensed into one. If there were multiple interactions that you could do with one object then that would be different; there would being a point to them all. But if it doesn't make a difference then you're right. I do remember so many people complaining that the P&C interface was dumbing down adventure games in stages. It went from parser (near perceived infinite interactions), to a dozen or so click interactions (Maniac Mansion), to 9 interactions (Monkey Island), to 4 interactions including inventory (Sierra games), to 1 interaction (KQ7). It was my opinion that most people hated the dumbing down and were arguing for keeping the extra interactions. I always thought as you did, though. That is, what would be the point of making more interactions when one can do the same thing as them all? Really the only solution would be to go back to parser. That's the only real place that multiple interactions (beyond 4) has a point really. (no pun intended)

I didn't think the writing was bad, but it's been ages since I've played it. I just remember being blown away by the powerful ending sequence. The music, the art, the writing, the dialogue, the voice acting, and everything all came together nicely and it was all quite moving to me back then. Need to give this thing an actual adult go again. Perhaps with the new voices and with fan feedback it'll all be more enjoyable for everybody in the end.

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 10:35:49 PM »
One of the interesting things is that Jane said that around the time of the Kickstarter she was approached by an activision staff member who was keen for the company to make use of some of the old Sierra IP. Activision finally seeing some value in the IP seems to be a case of to little too late.