Author Topic: How LucasArts Fell Apart  (Read 15129 times)

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
Re: How LucasArts Fell Apart
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 12:07:19 PM »
The Coles said in an interview that the Williamses transferred their business to another state to avoid paying as much tax... did that have anything to do with it?

Not at all. Besides, the whole of the the company was not moved to Washington. The Oakhurst facility was still in use beyond any control by Ken Williams. The Oakhurst facility had still contained their development arm (as Yosemite). Chainsaw Monday did not occur until both he and Roberta were gone. Sierra had become a rather large entity that was also a publishing house for other developers. There was a need for the publishing arm to be in a less out of the way place.

At the time of the sale Ken may have still been CEO, but as mentioned earlier, Sierra had become a publicly traded company. He may have had some influence, a lot of it was out of his hands.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 02:42:33 AM »
So basically whenever a gamestudio gets sold or turned into stock, the creator at the top get a shit-ton of money but Wall Street winds up raping the studio to death in a misguided attempt to shake/save money out of it that inevitably fails and only winds up gutting the gaming studio and turning it into a shadow of its former self.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 10:18:10 AM »
So basically whenever a gamestudio gets sold or turned into stock, the creator at the top get a shit-ton of money but Wall Street winds up raping the studio to death in a misguided attempt to shake/save money out of it that inevitably fails and only winds up gutting the gaming studio and turning it into a shadow of its former self.

Since it wasn't the "Wall Street" boogie monster that bought out Sierra, I'm not sure that it always happens the way you've described it in your "Occupy Wall Street" description above.  Sierra did pretty well as a publicly traded company.  The problem with going "public" is that once you start using other people's money, they tend to want to have a say in how their investment is handled.  This opened the door to what eventually happened.

And remember: LucasArts wasn't bought out by anyone; it just hadn't produced anything of note in years.  Its downfall appears to have been due to revolving mis-management with no clear direction.

In the 1990s, companies were flush with cash and had to do something with it, so they bought other companies and bought marketshare.  Sierra themselves bought several companies during that time -- Dynamix, Coktel, Papyrus, etc.  And it wasn't just the software industry; in my field -- plastics -- companies merged, were bought out or went out of business there, too.

However, not every acquisition fits with the core business of the parent company, so they don't always know how to properly manage what they'd bought or don't understand how that particular business works.  Mismanagement isn't always intentional -- very seldom do people buy a company to intentionally drive it into the ground; unless you are getting rid of a rival, it's a terrible waste of money and resources.  Remember Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Add to that -- as Collector mentioned above -- there appeared to be some shenanigans going on in the forced Sierra buy-out and the CUC affair was a scam of some sort.  I've even seen some posts on other forums theorizing conspiratorally that it _WAS_ all part of a take-down from the other much-smaller rival software companies at the time that now dominate today's marketplace...  No one wastes their time and energy to take out a pawn; they aim for the king, and Sierra was (a) king at the time.

But let's not romanticize it too much here: Sierra and LucasArts were companies, and the purpose of a company is to make money; it's always a gamble: will people buy what they make?  If some great things also come out of it -- as they did for both companies -- then we're all the better for it.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 11:19:08 AM »
You know.  My grandfather said it best.

Shit happens.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Brainiac

• Lackey
  • Liked: 58
  • Game Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 01:29:11 PM »
In news that will certainly crush anyone who enjoyed LucasArts-branded adventure games, the team at LucasArts Singapore was working on a remastered version of the classic point-and-click game Day of the Tentacle, according to three people familiar with that project. Like the special editions of the first two Monkey Island games, released in 2009 and 2010, the remastered Day of the Tentacle would be pseudo-3D, with remade background art and cut-scenes redone to run at 30 frames per second.

Although this Day of the Tentacle remake was never officially greenlit, two sources say it was almost finished. One person familiar with the project pegs it at 80% done. But it was never approved, and the company's higher-ups had no interest in continuing to make what they called "legacy" titles like this one. So the game remains unreleased—and perhaps there's a near-finished Day of the Tentacle HD sitting on a shelf somewhere in Singapore, never to be touched again.

It’s devastating. Day of the Tentacle, a hilarious point-n-click adventure that did the whole three protagonists thing years before Grand Theft Auto even existed, is almost impossible to purchase legally today. This is a game that deserves a digital re-release.

“For many involved this was a dream project,” said one person who worked on the game. “But sadly, like many, many LucasArts games in development, it never saw the light of day."

But...

...but I...

...I need to be alone now.
There is balance in all things. Live in symmetry with the world around you. If you must blow things up and steal from those around you, THAT'S WHAT RPGS ARE FOR!

Official Member of the VGL Street Team

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »

As I said earlier, Ken LOST money on the deal. The deal was a scam that he had little control over. And it was CUC, not Wall Street.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »
Yeah, I don't think Sierra's demise happened the way Ken Williams wanted it to.  Not to say he WANTED the demise, but I feel like it got out of his hands.  I bet it's actually still a sore spot for him - it was his baby, nurtured from a kitchen table.  I can't imagine he liked seeing what he and everyone else built just disappear into a substandard "label" producing less than stellar games.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 329
  • You can't do that; at least not now.
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 10:28:14 PM »
Food for thought with the 'rise' of IQ. I hope we keep it small, keep it loyal, don't sell out. If I can make a half decent living out of this then bonus. I'm in it for the artform as much as any future profits, like jamming with my buddies in a band. It could seriously pay some bills, but I'm having fun first and foremost. Only work with people you know and trust cos as soon as money starts flowing through the pipes, we're all gonna find ourselves with lots of new 'friends'.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests
--------------------------------------------------------
I am a Narrator, and I ride and I ride.

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
How LucasArts Fell Apart
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 11:10:08 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted, or how new this is. Filled with a lot of interesting information that basically confirms what I'd guessed all along. The higher ups just never cared about games. I'm truly sad to read about what 1313 was going to be and what it didn't have the chance to become. This kind of behaviour is so rampant in the entire gaming industry today and is why I still kind of believe that the market will crash again as a result. You can only destroy good projects and screw over loyal fanbases so long before finally they'll wake up and get sick of it. At least, I'd hope so. Good developers and names that were gaming's biggest and best disappear as a result and in their place we have snobby douchebag companies (really, the suits and higher ups/execs) that couldn't give a care about any of it as long as it follows marketing research enough to not be too big a risk so they can make money. It's truly sad and astonishing that this type of leadership, the lies, the betrayal, and the apathy is allowed to continue. It's truly disgusting and I almost feel like we should all be boycotting it entirely until it fixes itself. But I know that's just being naive as to how the industry works and, really, has always worked. It's just that every now and then good things are allowed to happen (Monkey Island, Duke Nukem 3D, Space Quest, tons of other great titles and franchises) and slip under the radar, past the clutches of the great hungry corporate monster and the greedy intruding fingers of the manipulators and meddlers.

It's all so disgusting. I'm glad I've never been buying that many games lately in the past few years. I'd shudder to think that I'd actually purchased Sim City after what happened to that. I'm too afraid to buy anything anymore because you never know what will happen.

http://kotaku.com/ho...part-1401731043

A particular quote of painful news:

In news that will certainly crush anyone who enjoyed LucasArts-branded adventure games, the team at LucasArts Singapore was working on a remastered version of the classic point-and-click game Day of the Tentacle, according to three people familiar with that project. Like the special editions of the first two Monkey Island games, released in 2009 and 2010, the remastered Day of the Tentacle would be pseudo-3D, with remade background art and cut-scenes redone to run at 30 frames per second.7

Although this Day of the Tentacle remake was never officially greenlit, two sources say it was almost finished. One person familiar with the project pegs it at 80% done. But it was never approved, and the company's higher-ups had no interest in continuing to make what they called "legacy" titles like this one. So the game remains unreleased—and perhaps there's a near-finished Day of the Tentacle HD sitting on a shelf somewhere in Singapore, never to be touched again.8

It’s devastating. Day of the Tentacle, a hilarious point-n-click adventure that did the whole three protagonists thing years before Grand Theft Auto even existed, is almost impossible to purchase legally today. This is a game that deserves a digital re-release.

“For many involved this was a dream project,” said one person who worked on the game. “But sadly, like many, many LucasArts games in development, it never saw the light of day.”

Fizzii

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1039
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 11:31:24 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted, or how new this is. Filled with a lot of interesting information that basically confirms what I'd guessed all along. The higher ups just never cared about games. I'm truly sad to read about what 1313 was going to be and what it didn't have the chance to become. This kind of behaviour is so rampant in the entire gaming industry today and is why I still kind of believe that the market will crash again as a result. You can only destroy good projects and screw over loyal fanbases so long before finally they'll wake up and get sick of it. At least, I'd hope so. Good developers and names that were gaming's biggest and best disappear as a result and in their place we have snobby douchebag companies (really, the suits and higher ups/execs) that couldn't give a care about any of it as long as it follows marketing research enough to not be too big a risk so they can make money.

I'm afraid that this happens everywhere, not just in the games industry. With any commercial business, the main goal is to make money for the shareholders (and it's not good enough to simply make a profit, there must also be year on year growth). Often people at the top are lawyers/accountants and likely also risk averse to spending money on something that may be great but unproven (or in this case, not in line with the branding or direction they want the company to take). They also tend to look at visible obvious costs, but fail to consider lost opportunities or hidden costs.

And often they look for short term gains in order to make themselves look good for their end of year bonus, neglecting the long term good of the company, and even leaving a mess for someone else in the future to clean up, when they have long moved on. It basically comes down to greed and selfishness.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 12:05:09 AM »
Are you kidding? We're selling out at the first big offer we get, and I'm buying as all yachts.

Bt

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 329
  • You can't do that; at least not now.
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 08:03:35 AM »
Ahh what the hell. Deal.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests
--------------------------------------------------------
I am a Narrator, and I ride and I ride.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 09:52:29 AM »
Yachts for everyone! Even for Collector and Goatmeal!

Bt

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 10:23:04 AM »
Is this another one of those, "if you post in this thread, bt will...." kinda deals? 

Jerminator

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 11:01:20 AM »
This post is for my yacht.