Author Topic: Innovation: Gaming's Snake Oil  (Read 12493 times)

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
Re: Innovation: Gaming's Snake Oil
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 10:05:07 PM »
I find some bits of better graphics pull me into the game more, though there are times when it does push me out.

We can do so much more with games these days, not just graphics either. What matters though is getting it right.

I'm reminded of
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZM2jXyvGOc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZM2jXyvGOc</a>
where at some point he mentions how the violence isn't realistic to the game, whether its too much or not done right even though they could have.

Not inovative enough, too inovative or just inovative enough.  Inovation isn't only about adding new stuff, sometimes its about using old stuff in new ways. Won't really matter if you don't get it right though.
When you're a farrier you need to know these things

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 04:14:43 AM »
Exactly - but not innovation JUST for innovations sake - that is the point of the video, if you had watched it.

Bastard! Making me watch it to back up my opinions.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Myrddin Starfari

• Ping of Kuns
  • Villain
  • Liked: 34
  • Ok folks, what's with the pitchforks and torches?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 07:41:49 PM »
my linked video has guns and explosions if it makes you feel any better.
When you're a farrier you need to know these things

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 03:46:58 PM »
My God.

It's like he's reading my mind.

In all seriousness though, the new Jimquisition episode continues a number of the ideas from the one posted at the beginning of this thread.  This is a great video that actually portends a fair amount of hope for the success of projects like QFI.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7161-Perfect-Pasta-Sauce
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 09:35:17 PM »
My God.

It's like he's reading my mind.

Time for the tinfoil hat, Comrade Lambonius, to prevent such violations of your noggin!

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 09:42:17 PM »
As an aside, I can't get over the way he keeps pronouncing "pasta."

Paaasta.  Crazy Brits and their incorrect American English.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Ilyich

• QFI Work Team
  • Villain
  • Liked: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 01:44:37 AM »
As an aside, I can't get over the way he keeps pronouncing "pasta."

Paaasta.  Crazy Brits and their incorrect American English.

How would you pronounce that? Pæsta?! Oh, dear God! (that's gɔːd, not gʌd) :P

Getting back to topic, though - the situation with the big publishers is indeed sad, but not at all unique to the gaming industry. Film industry does pretty much the same thing, preferring the huge blockbusters that they can back up with millions in advertisement and put in every cinema around the globe to trying to make cheaper, but better and more diverse films for everyone.

And as much as I liked the pasta sauce analogy and would like to see more diversification of high-budget games and see them cater to more niche markets, I'm afraid that Dishonoreds and X-COMs is not something you can mass produce. They are succesful not so much because they are aimed at different, often neglected audiences, but because they are really great games. Call Of Duty:Whichever is not a great game, but it still sells - and that's every businessman's wet dream - selling a product regardless of it's quality.

And on a brighter side - this attitude leaves the niche markets wide open for people who are truly passionate about their particular brand of entertainment, adventure game community included. :)
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests".

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 08:57:51 AM »

How would you pronounce that? Pæsta?! Oh, dear God! (that's gɔːd, not gʌd) :P

The CORRECT pronunciation is Pahsta.  ;)

Ilyich

• QFI Work Team
  • Villain
  • Liked: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 09:33:42 AM »
The CORRECT pronunciation is Pahsta.  ;)

Not in Russian it isn't! :P Also, I read "Pahsta" exactly the same way - paaasta, but I'm guessing that's not what you meant. :)

Although when said in mock-mafioso voice it does indeed sound like pæsta, I'll give you that one. :)
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests".

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »
Listen to the dude from Canada... MESSING UP THE WORD COMPLETELY.  THANKS CANADA.

www.forvo.com/word/pasta/

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."