Author Topic: Favorite QFG game  (Read 9963 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
Favorite QFG game
« on: February 16, 2013, 12:44:48 AM »
So what's your favorite QFG game?

It's hard to choose but right now I lean towards QFG2 VGA.  I enjoy the pop humor, graphics and story, and the great combat system.  The "building up skill" aspect is fun too, as is trying to unlock Paladin.  I also like having an excuse to spend all the excess money that inevitably builds in games like these.

The only thing I dislike is how linear it is. (the game -will- end at a specific time, it's up to you to survive until then)  Aside from that, it is fun.

I also appreciate that it has "the ghoul" an enemy that can still kick your ass with end-game stats (with maxed combat difficulty) unless you use tricks (acid-proof boots, reversal spell) or are really good at the arcade.  Even when all the other enemies get wimpy, the ghoul can still whoop you like crazy!

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: Favorite QFG game
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 03:36:35 PM »
I love QFG2, but I find the VGA remake to be a bore.  I won't go into specifics, but suffice it to say, I think it was a big missed opportunity on AGDI's part to really make that remake special.

My favorite is the original Hero's Quest, by far, though if pressed, I'd say QFG4 comes in a fairly close second.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 04:40:24 PM »
I think I'm about the only person who didn't care much for QFG2.  I can't really explain it...maybe the storyline bored me, I dunno.  I liked hearing more about the Liontaurs vs. the Leopardmen (or whatever they were) in QFG3 than about the more peaceful Katta.  And I'm definitely not a fan of the early, original graphics (EGA?) but the VGA was ok (graphics-wise). 

My favorite without a doubt was the darker, more sinister QFG4.  I remember it being a very frustrating, buggy game, but it was much more interesting to play.  I liked flirting with Katrina and the possibility of building a "romance" with her (although we all know how SHE turns out...).  And I'm not a fan of combat in general, so I have to be captured by the story to tolerate it.  Just like in real life when I'm debating with my husband about what movie to see--he wants action, gore, blood, guts...I let him have his way, but only if there's a good storyline (think Braveheart, Pearl Harbor).

But what can I say, I'm a girl... :P

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »
Heh, it's okay.  The eternal struggle over which movie to see is something my wife and I argue about too!!!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

KuroShiro

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
For me 4 >= 1 > 2 > 3. I've actually never played 5.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 09:55:49 PM »
Does 5 have an import bug?

5's not the greatest but, it brings back a lot of characters from all the games previous, and gives you a final storyline and potential marriage partner.  It's worth playing if you enjoyed the others.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »
It's hard to pick a favorite for me, really.  I have such a strong attachement to Hero's Quest I - I bought that sucker in 1989 with my own money, and just played the hell out of it.  I was really surprised next Christmas when they changed the name to Quest For Glory - but I got II for Christmas, and again - just played the game forever.  It was such a wonder to explore.

I was kind of let down by QFGIII - it just kind of felt half-baked to me.  I like it, but I don't love it.

Quest For Glory IV was just an amazing game.  Like... wow, blow my mind.  Felt like a real return to the glory of QFG1....

I liked QFG5 for what it was, but I always wanted to finish the series more in line with the way it had begun.  If I could do a "de-make" for QFG5, and call it Hero's Crown and make it more in line with what Lori and Corey had originally planned, I totally would.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 11:18:43 PM »
Oh?  What were the original plans?

Given how the last KQ and SQ games turned out, QFG got lucky!  Besides, even Larry didn't get a proper ending.

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 07:23:01 PM »
Personally, I loved the EGA QFG2 the most. It strangely felt like it offered the most freedom while it was clearly the most constrained due to the timer - I never felt like I was pressured by the time to choose activities or miss things I really wanted to do. The text parser opened quite a few possibilities - one of my favorites is that, as a Fighter with added Magic, I could "DROP SHIELD" before any combat and use my magic freely. I think it was the only game in the series to have a unique Fighter-only "quest" (really just one event, but name any Fighter-related thing in any other game that isn't also available to the Paladin), which made the Fighter feel a bit less like an excuse to make the player fight more monsters. The combat was one of the best implementations in the series, I thought - granted, I'm not sure there was any difference between blocking or dodging in specific directions, but the high/low swings definitely mattered at times, and magic was much less of a chore to use than the later "click the magic menu, hit the spell you want, and click back to combat so you can dod- oops, you're dead" systems. QFG4 had good combat as well, and was a great game in most respects, but there were a few bugs that made it into the final product that really soured my opinion of it (and I hated the way it automatically gave Paladins a Magic skill halfway through). The VGA remake of 2 seemed okay for a while, but I got into a random battle in an alley when I hadn't saved in a while and never felt like playing it again.

As for 3 and 5... almost the opposite of 2 to me. They're so story-driven that no matter how much you explore, it never feels like the story is letting go of you. I thought 3 was pretty dull overall, and 5 reeked of the multiplayer aspect they never implemented.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 08:52:47 PM »
I personally LOVE the original Hero's Quest, in all it's EGA splendor. It creates a magic which I can't quite put into words. I enjoyed the VGA version too, but mostly just to see the BG's in VGA. After 1 I guess 4 would be the next best, in creating the magic feeling again, although I found the combat quite poor at the time. 3 and 5 left me cold.

7legion77

QFG3!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 09:35:24 PM »
suffice it to say, I think it was a big missed opportunity on AGDI's part to really make that remake special.

I completely agree! I eagerly anticipated the QfGII remake, only to find that I'd rather play the EGA original. They tried too hard. However, their King's Quest's II remake was excellent.

My favorite QfG game was Quest for Glory III. Only because it was the second ever Sierra VGA I ever played when I was 9 years old... so it holds special nostalgic value. I also think the music for that game is phenomenal.
I equally adore Quest for Glory IV for the incredible storytelling and atmosphere, and for the Rusalka : )

Sektor

• Recruit
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 02:46:33 AM »
The first one is my favourite. I finished Hero's Quest: So You Want to Be a Hero in CGA on about 10 360KB floppies. I don't even remember if I ever replayed it completely in EGA but I used to help friends finish it in EGA. I flew through the VGA one but since I already knew all the solutions and some things I could no longer do, it wasn't as fun.

Needing to look at maps or walk around the city maze in QFG2 really lowered its score for me but I remember it being good. I think I like QFG3 more but it's been so long since I played them.

I gave up on QFG4 after having crashes and compatibility issues and I never played 5. I'll have to try them again although I know QFG4 has a maze type part too, I hate mazes.