Author Topic: Thoughts on "Quest for Infamy" (Demo)  (Read 35976 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on "Quest for Infamy" (Demo)
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2013, 07:14:26 PM »
"I wonder if any game actually constructed a complex polynomial across multiple terms to smoothly scale loads of factors (smoothly as in differentiable and continuous multivariate functions)."

Can you say that in English?  :-\

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2013, 10:20:15 PM »

Um.  Probably not.  I'll shut up now... sorry  :-(
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Sektor

• Recruit
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2013, 10:30:36 PM »
I noticed the text uses a**hole and a***hole spellings. For consistency, I'd only use one spelling although I guess it depends how the voice actor says it :)

I usually run every where but when going across the stones on the river, it changes to walk, so I have to select run again. It might be better to restore previous setting.

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2013, 10:58:47 PM »
"I wonder if any game actually constructed a complex polynomial across multiple terms to smoothly scale loads of factors (smoothly as in differentiable and continuous multivariate functions)."

In other words, weaving a variable or two into the entire game's code so that changing the number to increase or decrease the difficulty changes the way the game works in many respects, preferably in a smooth way so that even subtle changes will cause small effects.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2013, 11:14:52 PM »

Not speak for S_D, but there are a lot of different factors ("variables") when designing such a complex game like QFI, especially for the fight sequences...

While I have never programmed a computer game, I have dabbled in programming and can imagine the following scenario for a generic video game:

(A) What is the chance of a fight sequence occurring while you explore the countryside? = range of 0.00 "never" to 1.00 "certainty", which depends upon how stealthy the player is, if they are fatigued or healthy enough to avoid confrontations to begin with, and how prevalent monsters are in that area

(B) What type of monster encounter will it be? = a random number, based on whether or not is it nighttime or daytime and the likelihood of that type of monster being in that particular area (Goblins are 35% of all monsters in the forests, while Griffins are only 3-5% near the mountains)

(C) What are its stats? Single or a group of monsters?  What kind of loot/valuables? = a multiple of established base values for that particular monster type, randomly 0.75× to 1.50× for each stat value; a random value for the number of monsters attacking; and a random value for the loot each one would carry

(D) How aggressive is the monster? = a value based on monster type, time of day, and the monster's stats

(E) What are the odds the player can "run away" from the fight? = A percentage based on the player's stats and the monster's stats

and so on...

All of these numbers are added/multiplied together in a formula to result in a single random monster fight occurring.

As S_D said, while it's possible to tweak the numbers with a slider to make the fights easier or more difficult, that might not make the game enjoyable because the resulting gameplay is imbalanced -- and for each "notch" position of the slider, that's a whole other game that needs to be evaluated.  One setting = one game; ten settings = ten different games

Coming up with complex formulas that allow the player to make it easier/harder for ALL gaming experiences (not just fights) would be extremely difficult to devise and quite involved.

As I said, I've never programmed a game, so the experts here might say that what I've written here is WAY off base...   ???

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2013, 11:40:18 PM »
It's kind of like this.

There is no "slider" that can solve this.  There are many different aspects and permutations.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2013, 12:17:10 AM »
By the way, solving that rubix cube is required in order to beat the full game.  Whoops, spoilers!! ;)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2013, 03:45:44 AM »
Wow, you guys, thanks!  It can be explained in plain English, after all!  I'm just a shitty communicator.  Feels pretty good for a bunch of smart folks to "have my back" and thoroughly explain what I couldn't... what, in my mind, was a set of formulae.  How does one explain formulae?

S.D. begins shuddering violently at the memory of physics classes at University...
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

DrSlash

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 727
    • buckazoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2013, 06:00:09 AM »
By the way, solving that rubix cube is required in order to beat the full game.  Whoops, spoilers!! ;)
Rubix dodecahedron, actually  ;)
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests".

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2013, 01:28:15 PM »
How about a Rubix tesseract?

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2013, 01:31:54 PM »
How about a Rubix tesseract?

Haha, I love that!

Bt

<a href="http://youtu.be/5xN4DxdiFrs" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/5xN4DxdiFrs</a>
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2013, 05:37:28 PM »
Am blown away by demo2.0 the game world is taking shape nicely and I look forward to exploring it. Just have a few small things that I picked up below, but am really impressed at the level of polish for a demo

Combat system seemed very luck based, I got killed by the beast one time and the next time did exactly the same moves and killed him without my health being lowered at all. A swing of 32 healh points seemed like a bit too much luck was involved. I know this was not the final battle engine, just thought I would provide the feedback in case it helps.

I think the conversations scripts are very well written but an edit over the hotspot text could be good. For example when I try to click on the door of the house it says you are too politie to knock on the door, but doesn't mention that it is locked or anything else.
Many things I try and click on give a generic response while some of them are details in the picture that do need their own reason as to why you cannot interact with it.

Kurdt sprite doesn't look at all like a tough guy when you see him sitting in the pub (as opposed to his close up pic), I wonder if a slight enhancement could be made to his arms to show that he is clearly a big guy.

Rayford comes up as a discussion topic in conversation thread with the barmaid even though at that stage I don't know who he is.

Ian is not ugly enough! He mentions a few times that he is unattractive so he needs to be grossed up a bit more!!

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »
Heh.  The joke's about Ian being ugly are a joke - because he's a pretty boy!

Bt

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »
Here's a great little write-up of the second demo that I just stumbled across.  We ought to send a thank you to this guy.

http://indiestatik.com/2013/02/12/quest-for-infamy-demo-2-0-provides-more-hilarity-to-explore/
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2013, 05:58:34 PM »
Ahh ok, my mistake. Is the joke that he is a pretty boy who can't see it,  or are his jibes about his appearance him being sarcastic?