Author Topic: Steam Greenlight Announced  (Read 6015 times)

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
Steam Greenlight Announced
« on: July 09, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the correct section to post this news, but Steam just announced its Greenlight service, scheduled to launch at the end of August.  As it currently stands, all games that have been submitted to Steam goes through an internal process of review.  With Greenlight, users can have a say in what gets published on their digital distribution platform.  I think that it would be a great way to get Quest for Infamy some attention by having Infamous Quests submit this project for review.  I know that I'd do my best to get it upvoted.

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Greenlight Announced
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 08:41:44 PM »
Hey!  This is pretty neat!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Proxas

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:25:07 PM »
I saw the site, the funding request and met goal, and I was actually made an account to post this to see if you guys knew about Steam's Indy game development thing.

Glad to see someone else brought it up :)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »
I saw the site, the funding request and met goal, and I was actually made an account to post this to see if you guys knew about Steam's Indy game development thing.

Glad to see someone else brought it up :)

Yeah - when we get closer to completion, we'll be joining the Steam Greenlight project, and hopefully we can muster enough support for Quest For Infamy!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 04:27:33 AM »
What do steam charge developers? I have heard that each game is different but it is round about the 30% mark. Do niche titles sell a whole lot more through being on steam? What does other digital distributors charge?

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 11:52:53 AM »
I certainly can't answer the other questions, but I feel that digital distribution platforms like Steam really help the indie/niche market.  They help get games that would otherwise not be noticed from a brick-and-mortar store attention.  I know that there have been plenty of games that I bought that I would not have known about were it not for Steam or even GoG.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 01:37:34 AM »
What does other digital distributors charge?

Steam, Desura, and GOG all charge in the neighborhood of 30% of the customers' purchase.  Then there's Wolfire Games' Humble Store, charging a gobsmackingly miniscule 5%.  I'm a huge Desura fan, being a Linux gamer, but I must admit that Wolfire have done has been pretty amazing.

The whole Humble Store concept (modulo the THQ bundle) feels a lot like an indie development house decided one day to build something for themselves and their peers to alleviate common pain-points in sales & distribution (from what I've read, that's pretty much how it went down).
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."