Public Forums > Banter and Chit-Chat!

A Lament for Adventure Games

(1/4) > >>

Blackthorne:
I'm going to lament the state of adventure games.  I know there's always some activity, but in my world... it feels dead.

We were carrying the torch for a while, but even most of the folks who used to frequent here don't any more. And I mean enthusiasts/gamers as well as team members of IQ.  Most of us have moved on.

I'll finish the games we have now, but man... I don't see much of a future here at all.  But it was a lot of fun for many years.  We did good things. Met good people. Had a great time.

Just admitting to myself that a thing I liked is pretty much over.

Bt

Klytos:
I think the reality is that a certain type of adventure games are still made and quite successful as far as a niche market goes, but everything else is dead. If it's not post-apocalyptic / anghst filled drama, it doesn't sell. This isn't a slight at those producers, they make some great games, but there's very little variety in the genre anymore. We're not dead though Steve, at least you and I will still make games until we're both dead. I firmly believe that.

Blackthorne:
Yeah, it seems like that - the adventure game niche is very focused on a specific kind of game or theme right now.  I guess it's just what the zeitgeist is into now, and while I enjoy those kinds of games and stories, I like a wide variety of settings, moods and stories. I guess that's why I liked Sierra Games to begin with - there was a variety of settings and places covered in their series.

I know we'll keep making games until our fingers bleed, but man... I was reading stuff from back in 2012...and it wasn't just us, but like so many people making adventure games and we were all so excited.  Only one developer from back then is still making games full time.

Bt

Klytos:
Dave Gilbert? The reason is he does that one genre of adventure game story that people still buy. He does them exceedingly well too, as we both know. My wheelhouse, and I know yours is too, is more sci-fi / comedy or fantasy (or a mixture of those) and anything I've seen from those genres don't seem to sell as well. Heck, if Activision couldn't sell the new KQ, I don't think fantasy adventures are a thing anymore. Yet, I still love them!

MusicallyInspired:
Sad times. :( But I'll always play whatever you guys make!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version