The Games > Quest for Infamy

Get 50% off QFI Soundtrack this weekend!

<< < (2/11) > >>

shmerl:

--- Quote from: sickfiction on October 26, 2014, 02:40:54 PM ---Also many tracks were rendered on my old system and I don't have many of the original masters left (damn hard drive crashes and I'm lazy at backing up) If it makes any audiophiles feel better, the originals were rendered at 24bit so there is minimal loss at the MP3 conversion stage.
--- End quote ---

But you did produce a CD from the originals? I guess that's as good as it can get if there isn't anything else, so you can create lossless FLACs from that CD for example. I think even if you create transparent MP3 (i.e. 320 Kbps one), when you reencode from that into another lossy codec, the quality will drop. And I usually prefer to create smaller sized files using modern codecs like Opus (for example with 140 Kbps which is roughly a transparecny level for Opus). I.e. FLAC is not so much for audiophiles who prefer better sounding record (320 Kbps MP3 sounds exactly the same), but for those who prefer to have more control over the lossy format for example for reducing the size of the mobile library and so on.

I.e. I usually see it like this. I buy the album in lossless FLAC, and then encode it in Opus (at 140 Kbps which gives transparency and sound exactly the same as FLAC). Then I keep both, and use Opus for example in my mobile devices. Keeping FLAC is good since if tomorrow some codec XYZ comes out which is even better than Opus (for example produces smaller files on transparecny level or has even lower CPU usage and so on), I just can encode those FLACs into that XYZ. But if you have the music in lossy only, it will have to stay in that form forever in order not to lose quality.

sickfiction:
There was no CD. It would have been a double or triple CD anyway!!
Everything was originally rendered down to 320kbps MP3 and then OGG for the game. I've spectrum analyzed 320s vs FLAC vs WAV and the only real loss is psychoacoustic information that wouldn't be heard anyway. If you do a blind A-B I very much doubt you'll guess it right more than 50% of the time.

anything below 320 is garbage though.

Goatmeal:

--- Quote from: Goatmeal on October 26, 2014, 10:41:38 AM ---The hardcopy CD release was part of the original Kickstarter reward system, IIRC.  And like the other physical rewards, BT and the gang are working hard to get them manufactured and out to the good folks who supported IQ in this crazy en devour!

--- End quote ---

Sorry for starting the whole "CD/not CD" confusion, Sickfiction...

Guess I've been Kickstarting too many adventure games and getting the rewards all mixed-up.   :o

Regardless, everyone please buy the soundtrack.  It's only $5 this weekend, and you'll get much more than $10 (regular price) of enjoyment out of it...

sickfiction:
Just for fun, here's a little thing I made from a WAV I found on my PC. There is a loop that comes in in either FLAC or MP3 3 times each but in no particular order rendered back into a WAV (lossless) try to guess which is which (without using spectrum analyser). At the end of the file is an inverted phase waveform over the the MP3 just to show you the tiny amount of missing information.

shmerl:

--- Quote from: sickfiction on October 26, 2014, 04:27:11 PM ---There was no CD. It would have been a double or triple CD anyway!!

--- End quote ---

I see, thanks.

--- Quote from: sickfiction on October 26, 2014, 04:27:11 PM ---Everything was originally rendered down to 320kbps MP3 and then OGG for the game. I've spectrum analyzed 320s vs FLAC vs WAV and the only real loss is psychoacoustic information that wouldn't be heard anyway.

--- End quote ---

The benefit of FLAC is not that it would sound better than 320 Kbps MP3, but that it has all the original data, so when you encode FLAC -> Lossy codec XYZ, you can still keep it transparent (i.e. the result would sound the same). But when you encode 320 Kbps MP3 -> Lossy codec XYZ, the result might be impossible to keep on the same level of quality even if you set encoding transparency level for the codec XYZ. Simply because each lossy codec has its own ways to cut corners for compression which can be good on their own, but when they combine it becomes worse.

So hopefully in the future you can keep masters in FLAC :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version