The Games > Quest for Infamy

Get 50% off QFI Soundtrack this weekend!

<< < (3/11) > >>

sickfiction:

--- Quote from: shmerl on October 26, 2014, 05:09:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: sickfiction on October 26, 2014, 04:27:11 PM ---There was no CD. It would have been a double or triple CD anyway!!

--- End quote ---

I see thanks.

--- Quote from: sickfiction on October 26, 2014, 04:27:11 PM ---Everything was originally rendered down to 320kbps MP3 and then OGG for the game. I've spectrum analyzed 320s vs FLAC vs WAV and the only real loss is psychoacoustic information that wouldn't be heard anyway.

--- End quote ---

As I said, the benefit of FLAC is not that it would sound better than 320 Kbps MP3, but that it has all the original data, so when you encode FLAC -> Lossy codec XYZ, you can still keep it transparent (i.e. the result would sound the same). But when you encode 320 Kbps MP3 -> Lossy codec XYZ, the result might be impossible to keep on the same level of quality even if you set encoding transparency level for the codec XYZ. Simply because each lossy codec has its own ways to cut corners for compression which can be good on their own, but when they combine it becomes worse.

--- End quote ---
To get around that you would have to add one more step - converting to WAV first with antialiasing filter THEN to lower bitrate MP3/Whatever that transcoding is working from a lossless-version-of-the-lossy-mp3

shmerl:

--- Quote --- To get around that you would have to add one more step - converting to WAV first with antialiasing filter THEN to lower bitrate MP3/Whatever that transcoding is working from a lossless-version-of-the-lossy-mp3
--- End quote ---

Yeah, and that is just to clean some of it. That's why it's much easier to just keep FLAC for any future processing :) It's good for master copies.

shmerl:
By the way, I see that AGS still doesn't support Opus. It's better than Vorbis in general (and saves size especially on small sound samples), so it's good to add such support. I'll take a look at it, may be something interesting to help with.

sickfiction:
Sorry fella, for $4.99 you get the MP3, we'll turn a blind eye to you transcoding it for use elsewhere... :D

sickfiction:
Although there was talk of having a super-limited-edition-vinyl pressing of a few select tracks...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version