Author Topic: Awesome Kotaku article on game publishers  (Read 4130 times)

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Awesome Kotaku article on game publishers
« on: April 15, 2013, 03:26:11 PM »
This one pretty much speaks for itself.  A breath of fresh air.

http://kotaku.com/we-need-better-video-game-publishers-472880781
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

DrSlash

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 727
    • buckazoid
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome Kotaku article on game publishers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:16:42 PM »
Nice article. And one thing I've noticed - the article has been published by "Anonymous Game Developer" - now that sounds awfully familliar ;D
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests".

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 04:26:13 PM »
Nice article. And one thing I've noticed - the article has been published by "Anonymous Game Developer" - now that sounds awfully familliar ;D

Heh, yeah--I noticed that, too.  I'm sure it's coincidence though, and not THE AGD's we're thinking of.  :)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Sslaxx

• Recruit
  • Liked: 2
    • Sslaxx
    • https://twitter.com/Sslaxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 09:40:52 AM »
The problem is that once Activision and EA were not entirely evil. Then they grew into what they are now. Growth is inevitable, and it's growth (and the acquisitions that come of/because that growth) that is part of the problem. What would happen if, say, Wadjet Eye Games reached the size of Sierra at its peak - or the size of EA now? Looking at the increasingly EA-like route Zenimax (who have massively expanded in recent years) are taking...
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
I know, right.  Activision was founded by disgruntled Atari employees who found the company got too big, and were sick of being under-paid and under-(non)-credited by Atari!  Now look at it!

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 12:18:27 AM »
What happened to Sierra?

I know Al Lowe fussed that after Ken Williams got kicked out by some rival executive taking his place, the new guy was a Grade-A asshole who killed off the company and made it as bland as mayonnaise.

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:39:19 PM »
No, Ken owned Sierra and sold it. Unfortunately, the buyer was essentially a scam artist. The details can easily be found online. If you feel like digging through his forum, you can read the events in Ken's own words.