Author Topic: Politics: Rock the vote!!!  (Read 22331 times)

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
Re: Politics: Rock the vote!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 05:00:40 PM »
@kaldire I am sorry you took that as me telling you to shut up man.  Not intended that way.  I just feel like I personally can't complain unless I go out and voice my opinion.  In politics, voting is my way to do it.  I have a hard time hearing people upset with laws, etc. if they don't take part in the process.  You have some solid opinions, and back them up, then you are doing your part.  A lot of people do absolutely nothing, and voice almost no opinion.  My comments are more directed to those people in general, not to anyone in particular.
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 10:47:10 PM »
Voting is cool as is a difference of opinions. Period.  Lets not shit on each other for contrasting views.  Shit i started this thread to get people to Vote not rip each other to shreds over conflicting beliefs.  Politics all suck as does the government but you can't change it by Not Voting or other drastic measures. Relax all and lets all remember why we come here to share ideas and great old games, the way they should be made! :)
**********Chadly*********************

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2014, 11:18:18 PM »
Hey Chadly, trust me, I vote here in Australia. I'm pretty vocal about voting and it's certainly something I feel strongly about. I know a lot of politicians personally and it bothers me a lot when people say they're all evil and out for themselves. Even those I disagree with completely are generally coming from a good place, they're just going about things the wrong way (in my opinion anyway!)
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2014, 11:51:26 PM »
I didn't vote.  Too lazy.  I can always jerk off while I read angry internet comments about it though.  God bless America.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

shmerl

• Lackey
  • Liked: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 01:16:58 AM »
Your vote only counts if you live in one of the swing states.  ;)  Thank you, Electoral College.

Yeah, I wish that would have been fixed already. It's a mess.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2014, 08:46:39 AM »
Your vote only counts if you live in one of the swing states.  ;)  Thank you, Electoral College.

Yeah, I wish that would have been fixed already. It's a mess.

It does make sense from a "representative" form of government.

It could always be worse: not to repeat myself, but...

And I've heard that if we went by popular vote and not the Electoral College, only 4 states -- the most populous -- would matter: California, New York, Florida and Texas.   ;)

At least ~12 states or so are important, Electorally speaking, IIRK from the discussions during the 2004 or  2008 election cycle...

Oh, let's be honest: in every modern election, the Electoral College gets dissed...

Chadly

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2014, 12:35:51 PM »
In the end the old two party system of government always rules. If you are an independant you have no say can't vote in the primaries, which is stupid. We need some change not the same old shit where nothing gets done and the Status Quo rules.  As for the Electorial college well that was implemented to keep large states with big poulations from running the country. Sadly it back-fired. Popular vote should determine the presidency.  Taxes are too high for everything and some want even more to increase spending.  Balance the budget till we get a surplus and then spend it.  Republicans and Democrats thrive on bashing each other and nothing gets done sadly.......WE NEED A CHANGE.                      Chadly

DosboxLetsPlay

• Villain
  • Liked: 72
  • Hero of Gloriana
    • DosboxLetsPlay
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/dosboxletsplay
    • View Profile
  • Favorite Game: Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 02:17:51 PM »
Ouch. I get it that I'm surrounded mostly by americans, but daaaamn, quite a lot of unnecessary shit towards EU and our systems. :/

If WE as Americans didn't save the world twice in the last Century we would be speaking German, the jews would be erased from the planet, and freedom would have died forever.

That's a pretty ballsy statement to take, considering my country and many many more countries in Eastern Europe were forced to be under the Iron Grip of Russia for more than 50 years with their shitty Soviet Union.  >:( So to be correct***, you helped* save the western europe. And I think I, for one, am a good example that it's utter BS what you say about that "we would be speaking German", only sentence I can say in russian is "Sorry, but I don't speak russian." and yeah, my parents who actually lived in the Soviet Union can speak russian fairly fluently, but it's still their secondary (or even third) language, estonian and english are the primary ones.

I understand that my response may be the cause of some flame here, but even if I am alone, I can't just stand by silently.
"Ha ha! Little graveyard humor there!"

shmerl

• Lackey
  • Liked: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 02:31:34 PM »
It does make sense from a "representative" form of government.

It could always be worse: not to repeat myself, but...

And I've heard that if we went by popular vote and not the Electoral College, only 4 states -- the most populous -- would matter: California, New York, Florida and Texas.   ;)

At least ~12 states or so are important, Electorally speaking, IIRK from the discussions during the 2004 or  2008 election cycle...

Oh, let's be honest: in every modern election, the Electoral College gets dissed...

What should matter is not the states, but the majority of people. That's how I see it. Consider for example any new party - in the current system it's simply impossible for it to get any traction - the two dominant parties just drown them because of the Electoral College. With global popular voting, small parties would get cumulative result from all states and can actually start competing. The bottom line - Electoral College preserves current dual party status quo. Popular vote would make it more competitive and democratic (pun not intended).

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 07:57:20 PM »
Certainly doesn't flame me DosboxLetsPlay, I also take exception to the Americans saved the world mantra.

The Americans were the last great power to enter the European conflict in the Second World War. They helped and certainly sped up the retaking of Europe, but they were far from the deciding factor in the European war. The British set the groundwork to winning the war early on by taking control of Northern Africa. Mechanised wars run on fuel, and the British beat the Italians then the Germans to the fuel reserves in Africa. They also held the straights of Gibraltar which meant they controlled the Mediterranean and the Germans couldn't get into Africa that way. The Soviets effectively won the Eastern Front single handed and by doing so kept the Germans out of the Russian oil fields. So in the long run, Germany was caught in a position where it couldn't sustain it's offensive. So America helped the war certainly, but they didn't "win" it by themselves by a long shot.

If America ever had a chance of speaking another language it would be French, not German, but that goes back to your war of independence.

BTW: If Americans ever want to know why the rest of the world looks at them with scorn, that sort of comment / attitude is one of the reasons.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 08:14:15 PM »
Lord, no flame there man - The United States was part of the Allied Forces in World War II, and that's and important thing to note - ALLIED FORCES.  It was a combined effort of many military forces that helped bring and end to World War II.

BTW: If Americans ever want to know why the rest of the world looks at them with scorn, that sort of comment / attitude is one of the reasons.

Yeah.  I see this kind of comment all too often, and I have to wonder - "Did you pay attention in history class when they taught this?"  I went to public schools, myself! I didn't have a fancy education!

Bt

Chadly

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2014, 12:05:49 AM »
Yes i did pay attention in history class.  I know it was an Allied effort hence the Allies.  I wasn't trying to be an American Egotist, however with out American supplies GB would have fallen to the Axis, we also gave supples to the Soviets after Germany attacked them.  Hitler made the same mistake Napolean did by invading Russia, because he had to get oil for fuel from the Caucasuses.  After the War, who financed the rebuilding of Europe?
So everyone please dont be pissed at me for those comments. History is history. Chadly

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2014, 01:41:00 AM »
History is history, but the interpretation of history so the USA is the saviour of the universe (ah, ahhhh!) is not accurate. I don't like to argue this because it makes me sound like I hate America or want to diminish it's achievements (and I'm not one of the trendy-left who hate on America because it's cool or something...) but exaggeration of achievements is just as bad as ignoring them. (And please, forgive the Flash Gordon reference...)

Great Britain didn't fall because of the Battle of Britain of which the American influence was 7 pilots. The US Lend-Lease assistance didn't begin until the act passed congress in 1941, the battle of Britain was decided in 1940. The poms surviving against the German bombing is the main reason the Americans enacted the Lend-Lease legislation, not the other way around.

And yes, America DID take care of a lot of European rebuilding post-war. The US and Canada were the only two industrialized countries not damaged by the war. Other countries did their share too though. Australia for example had control over Indonesia, Papua and New Guinea and a number of Pacific islands which cost us financially as well on a per capita basis although maybe not in the area of America's $17 billion into the Marshall plan. And the Soviets didn't accept any aid in rebuilding either the Soviet Union or Eastern Europe. But the Marshall plan wasn't just altruism either, it was aimed at rebuilding Europe as a buffer against further Soviet expansion (a theme familiar for the remainder of the 20th century). Greece and Turkey were the first recipients of Marshall Plan assistance and it's interesting to note the governments there were fighting against communist factions trying to seize control.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2014, 01:50:30 AM »
I get all my history from Youtube videos.  But nothing over 5 minutes long; I've got shit to do.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Chadly

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2014, 07:34:03 AM »
Look i am only pointing out history, as you say it is open to interpretation.  I am Not trying to be an ignorant arrogant American asshole here folks. :)   As i see it in 50 years the USA will cease to be a super power with the industrial rise of China and South east Asia.  The world could have stopped Hitler in 33 but chose not to the the demise of 100 million people sadly.  Most Americans at that time were isolationists.  We didnt get into the war until 1941 when we were attacked.              Chadly