Author Topic: Other Kickstarter Projects  (Read 61001 times)

Lupin

• Lackey
  • Liked: 1
  • Magic Knight and Time Lord
    • View Profile
Other Kickstarter Projects
« on: July 11, 2012, 04:35:11 PM »

Just hijacking this thread for a moment, I'll return you to Lupin's initial post shortly. If you want find the latest in Kickstarter projects, news and other exciting happenings in the community then head over to Kickstart Ventures. This was a joint venture set up by Broomie and Blackthorne of IQ. Kickstart Ventures is a blog that focuses on crowded funded games a long with other features such as interviews, reviews and guest articles.

Thanks, now back to Lupin! - Broomie

Not sure if this topic will be allowed (if it isn't, feel free to delete mods), but considering how successful Quest for Infamy was on Kickstarter, why not have a thread for members to promote other Kickstarter campaigns that we feel deserve our attention. Whether it is cos the project is really cool or (more likely) because it is in danger of not achieving its target.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878730846/reincarnation-the-root-of-all-evil

I'll start us off with the above one. Another great Point and Click Adventure game where the protagonist is not entirely on the good side. Whist it has achieved it's target goal, there is additional content that will be made if we can up the amount, and considering that we achieved $10,000 in just 48 hours, I think we can all help out here.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/370388468/steampunk-alphabet-book-the-abcssteampunked

This is one I really hope makes it. At the time of this post, it has 15 days left and it is $2,000 short of reaching it's goal, but it is a Steampunk themed Alphabet Book. As we know, anything Steampunk related is fantastic. So for this guy to create an ABC book around it is just great and the best part, not just for lil kids, you can read it as a normal book. Would love to have this just to read to my niece/nephew when they are old enough

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: Other Kickstarter Projects
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 04:51:02 PM »
Of course you guys can talk about other Kickstarter projects.  I encourage it, in fact.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Jerminator

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 07:14:23 PM »
Yeah these all look like great projects that deserve support. It's always good to support the community. Cheers for that.

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 05:31:11 AM »
Reincarnation made it's $15K Kickstarter goal!  HUGE thanks to Bt for crawling up from the grave to send the armada over there.  In fact, the response was so enthusiastic, it looks like a $18K stretch goal will be met, where all the backers get thanked in a bonus room in the game (I think).  It will fund tomorrow sometime, I think.
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 03:53:17 AM »
Everyone in the adventure-gaming known universe seems to already know about this, but I'll mention it anyway... Broken Fscking Sword is back  ;D

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165500047/broken-sword-the-serpents-curse-adventure

Head 'asplode, and all, included with every pledge.
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 05:01:23 AM »
Yep, love this project. Support it!
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:49:33 PM »
 It amazes me that Space Venture only just managed to pass the 500k while these guys could well push 700. What is more remarkable is this project cameafter many people had already spent their money on other projects and are begjnning to tire of KS projects. I wonder what it could have done were it a few months earlier to the party.
I knew Broken Sword was popular but had no idea it was this big. 

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 02:49:01 AM »
I agree.  I'm all over Broken Sword 5, but there's no way I'll back it as deeply as SpaceVenture.  I may not back it as deeply as QFI either (I put a healthy pledge down here).

A couple of non-video game projects I'm backing, include a graphic novel:

Mars: Daedalus Two
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1657688528/mars-daedalus-two-a-new-realistic-sci-fi-graphic-n
With my very talented co-writer Ira Livingston, I’ve developed a series of sci-fi stories called the Daedalus Saga. The first graphic novel, Venus: Daedalus One was published in May, 2012. The story centers around an engineer named Dez Clarke and a team of explorers who travel to our deadly neighboring world. Venus is an awful place with scorching 900 degree temperatures, sulphuric acid rain, and a crushing atmosphere. Dez has designed a platform that can float above all of that and allow for research.

Mars is set five years after Venus when Dez Clarke and the exosphere Alpha are forced to steal a nuclear rocket. They travel to the Red Planet to save a group of rogue exospheres who’ve uncovered an ancient mystery. During their journey, they visit some of the biggest geological features in the Solar System -- like Olympus Mons, a volcano the size of Arizona; and Valles Marineris, a canyon that, on Earth, would span the continental United States!

The project closes on September 7th (tomorrow).  One can pick up a DRM-free CBR version of the graphic novel for ten bucks, or both the first (Venus) and the one being kickstarted for fifteen.  I'm pledging for both digital versions, as well as a signed physical print edition of both, which is fifty bucks.

And, I'm also backing a film project:

The Gamers: Hands of Fate
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zombieorpheus/the-gamers-hands-of-fate

These guys have been producing funny films and web series about role-playing game culture for years, including two "The Gamers" movies and the web series "JourneyQuest".  They're funny and endearing, and I can identify with many of the characters in their shows, from my own tabletop gaming experiences.  As a media entity, these gals & guys are a bit unique in that they release all of their content under Creative Commons licensing, so you pay them to go make the stuff, and everyone can benefit (and remix, share, etc).  And they still make some money off of DVDs & Blu-Rays, even though everything is free to stream on Youtube (mostly in HD, no less).  I want to support their business model, and similar web-distributed content in general.

That's all, you cool cats...  8)

mitsymckenzie777

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 11:14:51 PM »
I mentioned this one over at Infamous Adventures forum. Though it is successfully funded I think it will be a great game and news should be spread about it. It's not by me it is created by Jay Pavlina of Exploding Rabbit creator of Super Mario Bros. Crossover. Super Retro Squad is inspired by the old 8 bit games we know and love.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/explodingrabbit/super-retro-squad

Lupin

• Lackey
  • Liked: 1
  • Magic Knight and Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 03:06:11 PM »
Whilst it has made it's target (with thanks to Total Biscuit), I want to promote this little gem.

Maia by Simon Roth.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438429768/maia

It is basically (to quote the page) Dungeon Keeper meets Dwarf Fortress meets Theme Hospital on a primordial alien world. I have fond memories of playing Dungeon Keeper at my friends house and of playing Theme Hospital (never played Dwarf Fortress) so for there to be a game similar to those that is set in space version just sounds plain awesome.

So if you've got the time, just give it a look. As I've said, it has made it's target, but you might enjoy looking at it

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 06:50:40 PM »
Maia by Simon Roth.

Yep, I backed Simon's vision on launch day, and have eagerly awaited it's emergence.  Good "god game"/RT-management/action-sims are quite rare on my platform (Linux), and as such, I was pretty interested.  Dwarf Fortress is, of course, but it's everywhere.  We've seen similar ideas (notably Introversion Software's new Prison Architect project), but this one has it's own unique features.  He's promising us the most realistic chicken AI in video gaming, for example  :D

These games aren't everyone's cup of tea, of course... but I ought to enjoy it greatly.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 11:47:25 PM »
Check this out:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/28/the-kickstarter-successes-where-are-they-now/#more-133320

It's an article talking about all of the various successful $100K+ Kickstarter projects of 2012, and the disappointing states of most of them at this point.  It's an annoying reminder of the head-shakingly poor planning that went into many of the projects started by Sierra veterans like Jane Jensen and Al Lowe.  Hate to say it, but I have to agree pretty much completely with this guy's assessment of those projects.

By comparison, we have put out SO much more content already, and at a fraction of the budget.  People should be throwing money at us!  ;)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 02:59:23 AM »
IA have been very good at releasing info and had more game developed at the launch of there KS then most other adventure projects seem to have months after
. I think one of the problems win traditional publishing methods is that developers get too much pressure to get the game out and this can lead to an inferior product. My fear with KS is that their is not enough pressure to meet deadlines and project times will blow out. When groups miss release dates and don't offer alternative ones it makes me nervous. I fully get that game development can have unexpected delays but I think if  you have a timeframe mapped out of when the work should be done then this should be shared with those who have pre-ordered. This may add pressure to development but that is not always a bad thing.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 08:20:35 AM »
I am amazed at some of the projects that managed to not only get funding - but to get a ton of it.  Some of the ones mentioned in the comments section of that link blow my mind.

We moved our release date because we were able to raise more money, and thus increase the size and scope of the game, but we're working our asses off to get Demo v2.0 out in December, to help show some of the progress we've made on the game - and the new demo really just comprises of a comparatively small amount of work we've done so far...  I know that I have a strong conviction to work hard on the game and keep our backers in the loop.  We've been doing this for years - and even when we didn't get any money for our work, I was always making sure to keep the fans in the loop, and make sure the team worked hard.

I don't know how some of these projects that raised 6 or 7 figures can get away with little to no updates or missing target dates so blatantly without much of an explanation.  To me, if I did that, I would feel awful... and we only raised a fraction of what some of these projects have raised.

I've tried to keep the backers in the loop with updates on Kickstarter, content on Facebook and Twitter - and I've always kept my email door open, and I've tried to answer all questions and emails that come my way, and answer them with a personal touch.  I believe in that kind of service - especially for people who have backed you - many going above and beyond just merely "purchasing" the game.

Kickstarter is a new model of funding for games, and it requires a new model of dealing with the fans (and backers).  I heard people saying stuff like "Did you expect updates from Dragon Age 3's team?"  No!  Because that was a different model!

You're damn right I'm going to keep my backers informed, and I'm going to keep the public at large informed about the game.  Of course, we don't show EVERYTHING that we're doing, because we want to keep some surprise and mystery about the game - so people have things to look forward to in playing it, but it's important for people to know what's going on - even if it's little, minor, or boring.  Hell, I'd do an update talking about game code, equations for stats or even about writing interactions for things - it'd be boring, but it'd be showing what's going on!

Every company/group is going to run things differently, but I think that as Kickstarter is a completely different funding model, the way you handle your PR and communication, with what were once fans and are now financial contributors, has to change too.  Like I said earlier, though, for us (and for me) that method of communication hasn't changed all that much!  I've always loved to get the community and fans involved.  We were lucky that a couple thousand actually put their money where there hearts lie... and we're grateful for the opportunity to make an amazing game for them.

Bt