Author Topic: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.  (Read 153411 times)

Jerminator

Re: Episodic King's Quest The Odd Gentlemen.
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2015, 07:41:51 PM »
I guess since it is King's Quest I'll be forced to pay the money and check it out. Just have to find the time to download it and play it.

Based on what I've seen and heard so far, I'm not going into it with much expectation of hardcore problem solving skills. I am a little anxious to see if all of the hype is worth it. To be honest, I find the art style of the characters really just unappealing altogether. I get that it's a different style, but to me it just looks like they didn't give a shit and wanted the art of the people to be as simplistic as possible to not devote as much time to it. Not judging the gameplay at all, which may be okay (we'll see) but the character art wouldn't have sold me if this wasn't a King's Quest game. The environment art does look beautiful though.

Corrigan

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 826
  • Portrait Lead
    • https://www.facebook.com/EstirdalinArt
    • https://twitter.com/Estirdalin
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2015, 08:07:31 PM »
I can see the character art not being to everyone's tastes but I really doubt it's an issue of not spending enough time on it.  The concept art is very skilled and the texturing on the character models is made by printing out the maps and hand painting them traditionally.  A lot more fuss and effort to go to than is actually necessary to produce something passable.

I've not played it yet either, won't have the time or money for a wee while.
"The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests"

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2015, 08:24:09 PM »
A lot more pro's than con's I think.

It's a bit easy, but it's not just a walking QTE. There's inventory based puzzles that you've got to work out, and sure they're not HARD but they do take a bit of exploring and figuring out. And they're logical in-world, they're not "guess what the designer thought here" puzzles.

My biggest complaint would be the writing more than anything else, the tone of it's very slapstick compared with the more mature (and by that I don't mean boobs and swearing) of the classic KQ games.

The graphics are beautiful, I mean stunning. So many steps above anything I've seen in any other AG.

And Christopher Lloyd is awesome.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2015, 08:49:21 PM »
My biggest complaint would be the writing more than anything else, the tone of it's very slapstick compared with the more mature (and by that I don't mean boobs and swearing) of the classic KQ games.

This is how you can tell which reviewers have played the original games and which haven't.  A lot of reviewers are praising this game for nailing the comic tone of the originals.  THE ORIGINALS WEREN'T COMEDY GAMES, YOU FUCKTARDS.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2015, 08:54:27 PM »
Yeah, tonally, they got this game absolutely wrong.  Someone somewhere said "Graham has personality, oh yeah. He's Guybrush on Cocaine" and that nails it.

Yeah, it's beautiful, but it sits oddly with me. Apropos.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2015, 11:55:56 PM »
I like the unsure of himself teenage Graham idea, it's actually quite fun, but while KQ had it's share of silly, it had a lot of serious too. They've not struck that balance yet, but I'm not finished so I won't call it yet.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2015, 01:01:26 AM »
I like the unsure of himself teenage Graham idea, it's actually quite fun, but while KQ had it's share of silly, it had a lot of serious too. They've not struck that balance yet, but I'm not finished so I won't call it yet.

You can have unsure-of-himself-teenage Graham and still have a more balanced tone.  This game has nothing even approaching the tone of the King's Quest series.  Even the terrible KQ7 wasn't as brazenly cartoonish and slapstick as this.  It's fucking atrocious.  The closest tonal comparison I can think of is Tales of Monkey Island, and in many ways, this feels EVEN SILLIER THAN THAT.  It's like if you took the town of Falderal from KQ7 and MADE THAT THE WHOLE FUCKING GAME.  FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK JESUS FUCK.

Full rant pending.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Jerminator

« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2015, 01:15:06 AM »
I can see the character art not being to everyone's tastes but I really doubt it's an issue of not spending enough time on it.  The concept art is very skilled and the texturing on the character models is made by printing out the maps and hand painting them traditionally.  A lot more fuss and effort to go to than is actually necessary to produce something passable.

I see your point Jen, it may not be a matter of how much time was spent on them, no doubt that the folks probably worked really hard to get the style across. I still feel if I take my King's Quest beer goggles off for two seconds I can definitely see that the character art no matter the effort put into them did not turn out on a positive for me. Why they felt the need to totally destroy the likeness and style of some of the characters doesn't push me to play it. Hopefully it will grow on me.

I think that the character style ties into where they were trying to go with the whole re imagining of King's Quest, that the tone is a lot more wacky and lighthearted. I guess that's just not what I had hoped for the series.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2015, 04:28:26 AM »
I can't decide if I'm having more fun playing the game or challenging people about it in the Facebook groups.

Nope.  Definitely more fun ranting about it than playing it.  Oh well.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2015, 04:52:12 AM »
Don't compare it to KQ7. There's no Disney song for starters.

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2015, 05:55:20 AM »
I gave the game a go

I love the art  animations  voices
but the game is almost pure platform as suggested in the demos i played
it has about 60% platform 25% story and 15% point n click
but mainly im very unimpressed

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2015, 07:43:22 AM »
I think being saddled with the King's Quest name is the hard part for me - and maybe reasonable others.  There's definitely a lot of people out there who just remember the name "King's Quest" and "Sierra", and not really anything about the games.

If this wasn't a "King's Quest" game - I'd think it was a funny, charming little game - but as a KQ game, it's just tonally wrong for me.

It looks like people on a whole enjoy it though, and that's a good thing.  The team who made it did a good job, for sure - though I swear the voice talent for the game cost more than making it!!

Bt

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2015, 10:48:21 AM »
It's a mixed bag that, if it wasn't KQ it wouldn't have got the attention it has garnered. Because it's KQ it's judged against 20 year old games, or the memory of them which is probably worse.

Wallace Shawn and Christopher Lloyd are awesome. Perfect casting.

The further into I get the more I like it. The whimsy is toned down with a couple of well written and emotional scenes a bit further in. I enjoyed the "intro" retelling of the Magic Mirror part, but once the game opens up it really turns on some AG charm.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2015, 11:28:17 AM »
Don't compare it to KQ7. There's no Disney song for starters.

That's true, but there's nothing else in the King's Quest series that comes remotely close to the childish tone of this game.  The game is clearly taking its cues from KQ7 above all others.

The gameplay of the more open-ended bit after the tournament is a bit better, but then it's marred by terrible bits like the stuff inside the well (the rope puzzle was pretty good, though) which is pure on-rails corridor running.

sickfiction

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 329
  • You can't do that; at least not now.
    • View Profile
    • James' Music Page
« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2015, 02:51:58 PM »
anyone subscribe to this?
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests
--------------------------------------------------------
I am a Narrator, and I ride and I ride.