Author Topic: What am I to do with all my plastic bags now?!  (Read 2294 times)

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
What am I to do with all my plastic bags now?!
« on: January 05, 2015, 07:43:51 PM »
Well I do understand it but dont

In California a new law passed that all plastic bags are now banned as of summer 2015

huh?
I use them to move my clothes and recylces and garbage thats wet, how does a paper bag even come close, like ok lets go pick up dog poop in a paper bag after the dog poops at the park

not sure this is going to work cali,
sooo
my future eye sees loads of fines and JAIL for the homeless who use them and dont care to get put in jail (its a treat for most) no joke

and many others like me will get fined who still use plastic

whats next paper comic protectors?

ahhhhhhhh
thoughts?

no fighting  but really a law on this? vs just making stores not carry them or something?

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Re: What am I to do with all my plastic bags now?!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 08:30:27 PM »
Speaking as someone who's in the plastics business, who is NOT in California, but HAS read up about this...

It will outlaw single-use bags starting in July 2015  at large supermarkets and grocery stores, and in 2016 at convenience stores and pharmacies.

You won't get fined for using them; stores just can't give them to you when you make a purchase.  You'll probably get a paper bag -- if it's small enough item, maybe you just won't get a bag(?) -- or you'll have to bringing your own re-usable fabric bag(s) everywhere you go.  California is trying to prevent waste plastic bags from entering the ecosystem, especially into the oceans.

Unfortunately, this is a behavior problem, as people aren't disposing of these items properly.  (Now, whether or not (a) digging a big hole, (b) dumping everything in, and (c) covering it with dirt constitutes a proper means of disposal is a topic for another discussion.)

Some U.S. studies have shown that even when plastic is removed from the equation, the amount of litter remains somewhat constant; it's just that the material make-up is different -- people continue to litter, but now it's paper bags instead of plastic bags, for instance; the behavior doesn't change, despite the plastic ban.

But I suppose it makes some people "feel good"...

Other municipalities are charging a minor fee (5¢ / 10¢ per bag, for example) at stores in an attempt to penalize their usage.

Looks like there's enough signatures to try to put this on hold if it makes a referendum on the 2016 ballot:

http://www.nacsonline.com/News/Daily/Pages/ND0105154.aspx#.VKs2lHvCZVc

(I guess due to the peculiarities of California state law, once it makes it to the referendum, the measure is put on hold till the people vote on it.)