Author Topic: This is why I can't stand Richard Cobbett  (Read 19198 times)

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
This is why I can't stand Richard Cobbett
« on: September 10, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/19/space-quest-roger-wilco-not-over-and-out/

"...the equally terrible King’s Quest II: That F***ing Bridge got a few years back"

The frickin' hell man?  KQ 2 was an AMAZING remake of the game and all this f'er has to say about it is to essentially drop his pants and take a hot steaming load off on it.

"Labion, to the asinine story that features series baddy Sludge Vohaul (who wasn’t even mentioned in the first game) downgrading his ambitions from trying to blow up planets with a super-weapon to infesting one with an army of cloned insurance salesmen. True, Space Quest isn’t exactly known for its deep, emotive sci-fi plotlines, but that’s still really bloody stupid."

Dude.  IT'S A FUCKING GAME ABOUT A JANITOR WITH A MOP SAVING THE WORLD!  A lot of comedy has stupid humor!  Did he complain non-stop when he watched Dumb and Dumber?  Does he get annoyed when he sees how stupid characters like the 3 Stooges?  A lot of comedy revolves around dumb premises.

It's a comedy game.  My reaction was just to laugh at the silly joke, not take it so damn literally.

He also dumped on QFG 4.5 as well.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/09/saturday-crapshoot-quest-for-glory-4-12/

"Quest for Glory 4.5 kicks off later, with the Hero attending the 10 year reunion for his... correspondence school course? I'm not sure if that's meant to be a joke, or just the creator having no idea what those words mean, never mind how to put them into a sentence. Hearing the event speaker describe his heroism as "a shoddy job of heroing that left that poor valley worse off than it was before" though, he slinks back to finish what he started. Cue game! And trying not to think too hard about canon!"

The hell man?!  It's a frickin' joke!  The correspondence school heroism course is actually canonical!  He probably thinks that Frasier is the pinnacle of comedy and that everything else on tv sucks!

I really can not stand this guy -at all.-  He's very obnoxious and pretentious and he acts like his opinions are all the word of God.  He's like an annoying version of AVGN minus the humor.  But because he's somehow gotten a reviewing job at some website he's been able to make reviewing classic games his cottage cheese industry, causing his putrid reviews to enter into the lake of popular opinions.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: This is why I can't stand Richard Cobbett
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 10:19:51 PM »
You know, if he toned down the snark and sanctimony but a little, he'd be great and still be entertaining.  I think he got sick recently, and speaking from experience - when your health is bad, you can be a dick sometimes.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 357
  • Learn to live,Learn to love,Learn to love to live!
    • https://www.facebook.com/NewFunFansKaldire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:43:42 PM »
THAT is the sad truth BT

I know from personal experience

hey check out ben yahtzee reviews, those are always double edged and funny

but yea bad health.. divorce, kid drama, lots can make you.. more of a dick or like in my case more talkative
health and divorce + kid drama oh the joy
oh and trying to move toward petaluma santa rosa get the hell out of sac,  movin .. = stress too
but yea  illness.. mine = meniers disease, oh the fun...  will make people pricks,
until they cope if ever..

"Larger than life and twice as natural!"

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 12:20:00 AM »
The man is just entirely too nitpicky for my own tastes.

http://searchofno9.wordpress.com/2008/03/29/in-my-view-why-the-otakusphere-hates-to-love-and-loves-to-hate-answerman/

He kinda does remind me of Zac Bertschy.

I'm not sure how to best describe but it's like being the artsy-fartsy writer-critic equivalent of Kanye West, a guy who just got high off his own fumes.  KW and ZB were both really good in their oldschool days (Kanye was a true genius) but kinda just got worse over time.  I'm not really sure how writers like that wind up in such high and lofty positions.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 02:48:16 AM »
THAT is the sad truth BT

I know from personal experience

hey check out ben yahtzee reviews, those are always double edged and funny

but yea bad health.. divorce, kid drama, lots can make you.. more of a dick or like in my case more talkative
health and divorce + kid drama oh the joy
oh and trying to move toward petaluma santa rosa get the hell out of sac,  movin .. = stress too
but yea  illness.. mine = meniers disease, oh the fun...  will make people pricks,
until they cope if ever..

Why do people like Yahtzee?

The guy talks too ridiculously fast (or rather, his computer synthesizer makes him) and a lot of what he says just really isn't all that funny and is more stupid.  A lot of people like him but I really can't stand him.  Now AVGN, that guy is funny! (when he actually does videos, something he has done much of with his damn movie sucking up time)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI-s6YaNIxo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI-s6YaNIxo</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCW1QaOH1Y8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCW1QaOH1Y8</a>

See?  Lightyears beyond anything you'll see in any Yahtzee video. ;)

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 03:31:05 AM »
personally I love yahtzee

because he tells it like IT IS.. not like his friggen editors want him to

while back a guy at IGN got fired for giving, i want to say bioshock a terrible review,
showing that reviews from sites and mags are faked to get sales up

with ben thats never ever the case,
if you dont like how he talks ok...
thats your dig, but thats his , well funny part, my kid even laughs at him and how fast he crams things and the little hidden stuff,

is he perfect hell no but i trust that guy over any other reviewer.. ever..
more so i trust myself, but most often than not, he and I match on what we see and like or dislike

judging him from how fast he talks, is moooot.. not a valid point in how he judges games but he isnt for everyone, and personally I played some of his GAMES when he did use to MAKE them
so ive been around and a fan long enough

there is also the movie guy, just as funny, only talks slower..

as for the guy you linked, personally i dislike THAT guy more than most,
lightyears from ben ? urmm nah.. just some dude, like everyone else  kinda reminds me of ask a ninja (who I also love!) 

anyway stop hating on all! bad2dabone! give us a kiss  mmmmmmwaaah! X X X  = 3 kisses for all the pink parts

no one ever said everyone loves yahtzee
i just said i do..
so this feels kinnnnda aimed at me..
ya missed tho.. wait no thats blood damn
* Kaldire feints    (no not faints!)
lol

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 07:12:02 AM »
The funny thing about Cobbett is that he's obviously got a love for stuff he reviews - adventure games - and in personal interactions I've had with him on Twitter, he's a lover of the genre.  But his reviews come from an angle and slant that re belies what a decent person he can be.  I just feel that's kind of how most people write these days; there's such a cynical edge to EVERYTHING, and I've been guilty of it too.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Chadly

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 170
  • Guinness it's not just for breakfast anymore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 08:04:04 AM »
       Ok. I too tend to be a bit cynical when writing about anything at times.  However I don't trash a game, book, magazine editorial for shits and giggles. ;)   I do try to state my opinion in a nice and respectfull manner even tho it may be negative in some aspects.  Too many reviewers reviews I beleive are based on advertisements by the publisher. For example when Wing Commander 3 came out i never saw one negative review as Origin had spent a lot of money on marketing.  I enjoyed the game very much.  Perhaps one has to write what the editors want to stay employed????
**********Chadly*********************

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 01:18:16 PM »
Oh hey, I'll try to be a bit nicer, heh.

As for the Bioshock review.... I think "automatic good reviews" are probably more common for the big famous games where companies pour in tons of advertising money.  Honestly, Animenewsnetwork.com is guilty of the same thing as well sometimes.

However, less famous games and companies have zero influence behind the scenes, so they're easier to attack.  Also, throwing in some negative reviews on certain games can be used as proof that the big reviewers don't automatically like everything.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 02:11:51 PM »
Yeah... you know, AAA companies have the money to PAY for lots of advertising on gaming sites and in magazines.  Indie's don't; it's just how it goes.  If someone is making a lot of money for one entity, it goes to reason that editors will make the writers be more favorable.  Without that, heh, you are at the whim of someone's opinion on that day - some days are better than others for everyone.  I don't want it to sound like they'll just shit on a smaller game because, but sometimes - it feels that way.  Or that they feel the need to put people "through their paces".  On some reviews of QFI, the reviewer would go through this list of stuff, and just SHIT on us for things we did - like, SHIT on us.  Like they were chiding some child... then at the end of the review, "All in all, a good game!  3/5 stars!".... it just made me go "What?  Why did you feel the need to shit all over my team and the work they did and then be like, "Hey, pretty good!"?????" Like they felt the need to remind us that we don't have the gold rings to kiss.  That's not your job.  If you like the game and think others should play it, just say it.  If you feel there are areas to improve in the future, you can do it without acting like we dug up your ancestors corpse and skull-fucked it in front of your parents while singing "Send in the Clowns".  It'd be one thing if it was just a bad review... then, heh, yeah, whatever.  But the ones where they smite us like we're bad dogs and then give the game a decent rating?  I don't get it!

Also have to give a shout out to the many journalists who gave us great reviews, got what we were going for, and gave us congrats as a new independent company and wished us well for the future.  That's the kind of stuff that will help us grow and build upon what we have here.  Everyone who works here and worked on this game WANTS to make good games - that was always the goal.

Bt

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 04:49:45 PM »
Yeah... you know, AAA companies have the money to PAY for lots of advertising on gaming sites and in magazines.  Indie's don't; it's just how it goes.  If someone is making a lot of money for one entity, it goes to reason that editors will make the writers be more favorable.  Without that, heh, you are at the whim of someone's opinion on that day - some days are better than others for everyone.  I don't want it to sound like they'll just shit on a smaller game because, but sometimes - it feels that way.  Or that they feel the need to put people "through their paces".  On some reviews of QFI, the reviewer would go through this list of stuff, and just SHIT on us for things we did - like, SHIT on us.  Like they were chiding some child... then at the end of the review, "All in all, a good game!  3/5 stars!".... it just made me go "What?  Why did you feel the need to shit all over my team and the work they did and then be like, "Hey, pretty good!"?????" Like they felt the need to remind us that we don't have the gold rings to kiss.  That's not your job.  If you like the game and think others should play it, just say it.  If you feel there are areas to improve in the future, you can do it without acting like we dug up your ancestors corpse and skull-fucked it in front of your parents while singing "Send in the Clowns".  It'd be one thing if it was just a bad review... then, heh, yeah, whatever.  But the ones where they smite us like we're bad dogs and then give the game a decent rating?  I don't get it!

Also have to give a shout out to the many journalists who gave us great reviews, got what we were going for, and gave us congrats as a new independent company and wished us well for the future.  That's the kind of stuff that will help us grow and build upon what we have here.  Everyone who works here and worked on this game WANTS to make good games - that was always the goal.

Bt

What a terrible, meandering run-on statement posted above.

I give it a 83% and recommend everyone should read it!

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 05:08:06 PM »
hahaha
nice % and .. done and done(erer)

funny guy u

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 06:12:26 PM »
Yeah... you know, AAA companies have the money to PAY for lots of advertising on gaming sites and in magazines.  Indie's don't; it's just how it goes.  If someone is making a lot of money for one entity, it goes to reason that editors will make the writers be more favorable.  Without that, heh, you are at the whim of someone's opinion on that day - some days are better than others for everyone.  I don't want it to sound like they'll just shit on a smaller game because, but sometimes - it feels that way.  Or that they feel the need to put people "through their paces".  On some reviews of QFI, the reviewer would go through this list of stuff, and just SHIT on us for things we did - like, SHIT on us.  Like they were chiding some child... then at the end of the review, "All in all, a good game!  3/5 stars!".... it just made me go "What?  Why did you feel the need to shit all over my team and the work they did and then be like, "Hey, pretty good!" ??? ??" Like they felt the need to remind us that we don't have the gold rings to kiss.  That's not your job.  If you like the game and think others should play it, just say it.  If you feel there are areas to improve in the future, you can do it without acting like we dug up your ancestors corpse and skull-fucked it in front of your parents while singing "Send in the Clowns".  It'd be one thing if it was just a bad review... then, heh, yeah, whatever.  But the ones where they smite us like we're bad dogs and then give the game a decent rating?  I don't get it!

Bt

I enjoyed the game a lot.  I think the biggest complaint was the combat system though.  The game's a lot more than just combat however.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 11:08:30 AM »
Hahha, I admit, that was definitely a stream-of-consciousness rant!

Bt

Kaldire

• Testers
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »
oh hell bt I do that allll the time!

glad to see im not the only one who does it hehe

just I tend to do that much much more often!

rant on brutha!
At least you make sense when you do !
unlike .. myself!