Author Topic: game freezes trying to move north past treants  (Read 5943 times)

scizzit

• Recruit
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
game freezes trying to move north past treants
« on: July 21, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »
I entered the screen with the Treants, and they immediately burned down without me doing anything. When I then try to move north, the game freezes. I tried the workaround of going into the Volksville bank and leaving, but it did not work. I chose Sorcerer class. I cannot progress the game at the moment and would appreciate a response as to any available fix release, or if I can upload my save file for fixing.

Thanks,

Neeleej

• Recruit
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
Re: game freezes trying to move north past treants
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 06:35:10 PM »
Yup, that's just happened to me too. It was a weird scene, because I just walked into the clearing, Roehm saw the Treants, and then the narrator talked about them burning. WHY are they burning? I didn't do anything to them. Right after that, when I try to walk between them, the game hangs.  :-\

Oops, I should mention I'm a Rogue (if that matters).

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:03:46 PM »
The reason they were burning is because you can make them burn in game.  They burn for a specific amount of time.  There are a limited number of timers in AGS so we had to use many more thn once.  The issue with the trees is that another timer was not closed when it should have been so when you gotco that screen, the room thinks because that timer was in use that the trees had burned.  We have fixed the bug in our code. You need only walk in the bank and leave; the timer is reset in the room_leave code.

The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:37:42 PM »
You have to visit the bank BEFORE you visit the treants, if they've already burned, the workaround won't function.  Restore from before you've visited them.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

scizzit

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:54:19 AM »
Thank you for the replies.

Right, I am a sorcerer so I can't enter the bank at night.

You mentioned it was fixed in code; Is there an ETA on a patch? I can't really move forward, and I'd really not like to start all over again :(

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:15:15 AM »

You mentioned it was fixed in code; Is there an ETA on a patch? I can't really move forward, and I'd really not like to start all over again :(

You don't have to enter at night; you can go during the day.  The code that resets the timer is run every time a player leaves the bank, any time of day.

You just need to restore a game from before you visited the treants.  And if you give them the pinecone, make sure to give it to the tree on the left, not the right.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

scizzit

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 10:48:51 AM »

You don't have to enter at night; you can go during the day.  The code that resets the timer is run every time a player leaves the bank, any time of day.

You just need to restore a game from before you visited the treants.  And if you give them the pinecone, make sure to give it to the tree on the left, not the right.

Bt

Unfortunately I don't have a save game close enough without having to re-do almost the entire game. Is there any estimate on when a patch will be released?

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 10:53:56 AM »
Unfortunately, the patch will break compatibility with your saved game.  You can send me your saved game and I can try and help you.

info@infamous-quests.com

Bt

Neeleej

• Recruit
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 04:53:17 PM »
Wait - I'm confused. I visited the bank very early on, long before the treants and they still burn when I show up. If you can take a look at my most recent save, that would be great - otherwise, I probably won't finish the game.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 05:15:44 PM »
Yeah, no problem - send it over to me info@infamous-quests.com and I'll see what I can do.

Bt

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 05:23:49 PM »
Yeah, I've visited the bank as well and still had that happen to me too, where the game freezes after the Treants "burn" (I'm a rogue also). 

I'll try going back to the bank again from an earlier save game and see if it makes any difference...

nidoking

• Producers
  • Villain
  • Liked: 129
  • 'Tis beyond my reach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 09:45:28 PM »
It's not that going to the bank prevents the problem from ever happening. It's that if your game is in the condition where it's going to happen upon entering the treant screen, then entering the bank first will correct the problem.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 10:14:15 PM »
It's not that going to the bank prevents the problem from ever happening. It's that if your game is in the condition where it's going to happen upon entering the treant screen, then entering the bank first will correct the problem.

Theoretically.  Though I'm not convinced the bank thing always works given certain circumstances.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 05:53:56 PM »
Well, it did work for me too, thankfully.  Although I didn't have that problem while playing the other classes, and all the other times I played I visited the bank early on too.  Oh well--I'm just glad there was a way around it! 

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 12:14:13 AM »
Could any of you guys who ran into this bug as the sorcerer class give us a run-down of approximately what plot events & sidequests you had done?  Which spells had you completed?  Did you do the necromancer quest yet?  How far in the plot were you when you got this?  Etc.

I've been trying and trying to replicate this as a sorcerer and am not having any luck.  Any specifics would be appreciated!  We know what caused it for the rogue, and have fixed that issue, but we want to make sure we've got the sorcerer class covered, too.  This problem doesn't seem to occur for brigands, so it must be something sorcerer specific.  Thanks guys!  :)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.