Author Topic: [Sorcerer] Badly implemented features or bugs?  (Read 5042 times)

Banewolf

[Sorcerer] Badly implemented features or bugs?
« on: July 21, 2014, 05:09:31 AM »
I've been playing QFI for around 12 hours and in that time have come upon happenings where I can't tell if it's simply a badly implemented idea/feature or a bug.

1. Some skills are super easily trained to infinity... no obstructions
My stealth skill was maxed out early by constantly sneaking. What's the point of having a raisable stat if you can max it within half an hour. It completely obliterates any sense of progression and having worked for something.

I don't know about climbing, if it is a 'serious' skill on par with combat, magic and so on, but I went to
Spoiler (hover to show)

My magic skill was also trained super easily... I used open lock and found out it raised my magic skill no fuzz. At first I was 'Oh cool', because I was at the start of the game and I could maybe fight a max of two opponents a day without quaffing potions. Yet as I've played more, it feels cheap and again removes the sense of progression.

With the ease of training those skills, the game might as well have given me the ability to edit my stats in-game on the fly. Both would give the same "no more challenge in this game"-soul crushing feeling.

But that sorta pales in comparison to the disaster that is number
2. Block
What is up with the blocking in this game? I am seriously in doubt whether or not I am experiencing a bug.
In battle... when I use block and the enemy 'hits' me (displays the hit animation, blood spurting) I don't receive damage. When the block is successful, I take no damage, Yet I also heal. If that is how it is supposed to work, then what the fuck?  :D
That is equal to a god mode button plastered right in the middle of the screen. I take no damage and can heal fully. I also have a way to spam block... essentially making me able to max another skill within half an hour no sweat. Yay?  :(

Also... the archery mini-game. Cool idea - fun mini-game. Awesome!
Yet it is quite easily exploited for what I would call infinite money. I've earned a little over 3000 blythos playing it.
Spoiler (hover to show)
Money is no concern anymore the way it was when I started the game. When I started I ogled at all the different items I could buy but could not afford... 'Oh I'm gonna get that weapon later on when I get enough cash. And all those general store items.. aww yeah. Hmm, they said the captain liked artichokes, I should buy one, it's only 25 blythos, yet I might end up needing just that, with how sparse cash is. That climbing equipment, I think I need it for a quest... it could probably have a lot of other uses as well. Cool. Hmm, bracers for faster casting or climbing equipment? Can only afford one.' Hard but fun, immersing choice that actually feels rewarding when you finally scrape together enough cash.
Not anymore. I just buy whatever I want. Shops have become a clicking mini-game - Click on the buy icon and buy everything I want. Yay...?  :(
That musician guy in Tyr? Asked me for 40.000... I ACTUALLY considered playing the archery mini-game until I had the money  :P
Spoiler (hover to show)

I read part of a walkthrough which said Kayanna would give me 50 blythos... 'Sweet!' I thought, 'Can't wait for that.' When I came upon the part myself and she gave me 50 blythos, I was like 'meh'. She could've farted in my face for all I cared. Receiving cash was/is no longer a 'Sweet!' moment but rather a 'couldn't care less' moment. Which I feel hurts this otherwise excellent game ;(

Well... that's what I can think of at the moment which plagues me about this game.
Please bear in mind that I bring up my issues because I deep down love this game and want to be able to enjoy it. Enjoy it fully, and see its potential realized fully.
What kills this game for me is the imbalance. The ease with which you can ease the whole game -well, apparently, as I haven't completed the game. Hope I'm not embarrassing myself here  :-[

The adventuring is great, the point and click is great, the dialog I love, the characters I like, the graphics are beautiful and the RPG/stats idea is great in theory (But is quickly broken in my opinion.)
Never played point and click games... am I misunderstanding something?

Rant out - peace

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
Re: [Sorcerer] Badly implemented features or bugs?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 12:29:40 PM »
Hey, thanks for taking the time to write down your detailed thoughts!  A few of those things you mentioned (the lack of a cap on some stat increases, for example) was actually a bug that has been fixed in the source and will be working correctly in the next update.

The Block-heal thing was a design choice to try and add another strategic layer to combat, beyond just stocking up on and spamming potions.  The amount it heals you changes depending on your class.  We found that some classes, like the rogue in particular, because of their lower HP, had a lot of trouble with combat, especially against some of the harder enemies. 

The chain armor negates the damage of unsuccessful blocks.  If you're wearing any other type of armor, you should still get damaged.  This was a choice to try and make the chain armor feel like an especially good prize to get later in the game when you have more money.

Your mileage may vary on the archery game, but I personally have never though it was too easy.  I honestly found it quite challenging on my setup (laptop with track-pad.)  Maybe a proper mouse makes it a bit easier though, not sure.  :)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Bad2DaBone

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 84
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 12:45:43 PM »
50 isn't the max.  It is if you aren't a Rogue.

Rogues can go well over a hundred, though it takes hours of sneaking.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 01:14:47 PM »
Yeah--the lack of stat caps was definitely a bug.  You actually won't see a practical increase in your skill beyond 100--the number on the stat screen may continue to rise, but it won't have an in-game effect beyond 100.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 01:26:41 PM »
Also a note--it IS actually possible to sneak around and never encounter enemies, but only as a rogue and only with VERY high stealth.

Banewolf

Re: Re: [Sorcerer] Badly implemented features or bugs?
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 02:30:48 PM »
A few of those things you mentioned (the lack of a cap on some stat increases, for example)
I'm sorry, but I don't think I mentioned that  ??? :P
My main concern with some of the stats were that they were too easily capped, at least I think so. That it messes with balance a fair bit and the joy of progressing 'normally.' Stealth and magic for example. Only sneak around the world or spam open lock in one spot. Doesn't even need a door.
A bug causing lack of a stat cap doesn't concern me. I trust in you to fix that  ;D

The Block-heal thing was a design choice to try and add another strategic layer to combat, beyond just stocking up on and spamming potions.  The amount it heals you changes depending on your class.  We found that some classes, like the rogue in particular, because of their lower HP, had a lot of trouble with combat, especially against some of the harder enemies.
The chain armor negates the damage of unsuccessful blocks.  If you're wearing any other type of armor, you should still get damaged.  This was a choice to try and make the chain armor feel like an especially good prize to get later in the game when you have more money.
Ahhh. I see. my bad... sort of. I was sure I could remember earlier that I had in fact taken damage while blocking. It was from my pre-chain days.
I understand the tactical layer of blocking and healing, and it seems like a good idea. I had thought (as a sorcerer) to use blocking in-between spell cooldowns to avoid damage as my skill with melee wasn't very high.  The problem with it as far as I can tell, is that you cannot be killed once you get the chain armor. You are literally invincible. You attack a mob until you're low on health, then you block until you're at full health and go back to attacking. Rinse and repeat. It also make potions or healing of any kind redundant.  The chain armor was the first item I bought after spending some time at the archery game. No matter how late you get it, invincibility seems kinda messed up. Am I missing something, will there be enemies capable of negating the damage negation or will you eventually lose the armor at a set point in the story?

Your mileage may vary on the archery game, but I personally have never though it was too easy.
Beating his score I find to be very easy. I earned over 3000 and I didn't lose a single game
Spoiler (hover to show)

I honestly found it quite challenging on my setup (laptop with track-pad.)  Maybe a proper mouse makes it a bit easier though, not sure.
Hahaha, no wonder you say it isn't easy... I doubt I could beat his score with a trackpad [size=78%] ;D

[/size]
[size=78%]Hey, thanks for taking the time to write down your detailed thoughts![/size]
[size=78%]
I just hope it's helpful and that I don't come off as a nuisance.

[/size]

Browncoat Jayson

• Recruit
  • Liked: 7
    • View Profile
    • Digital Lycaeum
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »
I started playing through for the third time, this time as a rogue (brigand and sorcerer were fun!). I kind of agree that the chain is overpowered. I went to fight undead after buying chain, just to raise my weapon skills, and block quickly made this easy (where before I would easily be slaughtered).

Perhaps chain+block should only negate ~90% of the damage, but still leave a reason for healing potions during a long/hard fight.

Also, with the influx of money, I never bothered to buy leather armor on any of the characters. I was originally expecting the smith to be more like Mr. Magic, and require me to buy it before he would sell the chainmail. Is there a way to swap out inventory items, so say the chainmail and greatsword only become available in Act II? That way there would be a reason to upgrade to leather armor and bastard sword, rather than just skipping them.
Join me in New Britannia!

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 05:56:01 AM »
Without responding to specifics, because Lambo has already done that, I'll say that aside from the bugs in the stats easy / hard are subjective things. We had a lot of testers advise us they found combat way too easy, while others found it way too hard (for example) which makes things like the block function either really useful for some players or really stupidly "easy mode" for others.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Banewolf

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 06:11:54 PM »
I kind of agree that the chain is overpowered.
Invincibility is kinda overpowered? :D
Without responding to specifics
Please do  ;D

easy / hard are subjective things. We had a lot of testers advise us they found combat way too easy, while others found it way too hard (for example) which makes things like the block function either really useful for some players or really stupidly "easy mode" for others.
Yes. Easy/hard is subjective, but there can't be much subjectivity about invincibility, can there?

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 02:23:32 AM »
Without responding to specifics, because Lambo has already done that, I'll say that aside from the bugs in the stats easy / hard are subjective things. We had a lot of testers advise us they found combat way too easy, while others found it way too hard (for example) which makes things like the block function either really useful for some players or really stupidly "easy mode" for others.

I think it's pretty gracious of the game to give you the options of easy vs. more difficult combat.  Especially for adventure fanatics who don't really like "action sequences"...it's a good compromise to be able to get past enemies without so much difficulty.  I, for one, much appreciated it--although without proper armor and/or skills, I still found a lot of the enemies to be pretty dang challenging...maybe that's just me though, I usually try to avoid physical conflict.   :P

Banewolf

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 07:35:49 AM »
I think it's pretty gracious of the game to give you the options of easy vs. more difficult combat.  Especially for adventure fanatics who don't really like "action sequences"...it's a good compromise to be able to get past enemies without so much difficulty.
I agree. And I respect the opinion and want to play like that. But Doesn't that already exist in the form of stealth, like Lambonius said. I find it odd, then, that there's a 'cheat' item that might as well have been replaced with a "instantly kill opponent' skill.

although without proper armor and/or skills, I still found a lot of the enemies to be pretty dang challenging[/size]

Me too. I was a bit worried when I first started playing. Especially at the time when you're suddenly forced to face Gorth at the market. What if people didn't have a previous save, were low on health and had no potions :P
Aside from that, I found the difficulty rewarding.

[/size]
...maybe that's just me though, I usually try to avoid physical conflict.   :P
As in altogether or as in not being evil?

SarahLiz

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: [Sorcerer] Badly implemented features or bugs?
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 12:19:02 PM »

...maybe that's just me though, I usually try to avoid physical conflict.   :P

As in altogether or as in not being evil?

Ha--actually I guess in real life too.  I'm a total pacifist.  I hate violence of any kind, I can't even watch a UFC fight on TV.  Part of it probably comes with being a nurse too... ;)

BUT--apparently I have no qualms about stealing, breaking & entering, or sneaking/spying in games?...so I'm scared to know what THAT says about me...   :P