Author Topic: Kings Quest IP  (Read 11426 times)

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
Kings Quest IP
« on: July 10, 2013, 10:59:18 PM »
Anyone got any inside word on what is happening with the KQ ip since Telltale no longer have rights to make a game? I have a feeling if nothing is being done with it then the success of LSL reloaded is likely to prompt them to do something with it.

Sure LSL may have nostalgic appeal to a wider audience than just the traditional adventure market but with it being a commercial success it must make some action with KQ more likely?

Quest For Glory Fan

• Super Fan and Wonder Boy
  • Lackey
  • Liked: 23
  • Super Fan and Wonder Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Kings Quest IP
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 12:26:21 AM »
I didn't know telltale lost the rights, they DO have a lot in the pipe right now though. Really wish they'd do Season 2 of Monkey Island.

Found this thread discussing it. Pretty interesting.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1762
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 12:50:20 AM »
Last official word was that Activision had its own plans for it after Telltale's license expired.  Who knows if that will solidify into an actual game, or that it'd be anything worth playing, though.
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 12:53:39 PM »
Telltale lost the license a while back. I am just as happy that they lost it. I do not think that they would have done it justice.

Intendant S

• Senior Villain
  • Liked: 141
  • Hero of the Adventure Game Revival Movement
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Ventures
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 02:05:25 PM »
I actually like the Telltale games, but you're right.  I doubt they would have done the King's Quest IP justice.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Collector

• Villain
  • Liked: 91
    • View Profile
    • The Sierra Help Pages
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 05:09:41 PM »
That was not a slam against Telltale, but recognition of a mismatch. I do not feel that their developers do not have the right temperament/philosophy to do a KQ game. They are better suited to LA type games. I would rather that IA/IQ or AGDI/Himalaya do it than Telltale. But I am sure that Activision would demand so much for the license that it would put it out of reach of any indies, even if they could do a better job than many established larger studios.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 05:17:44 PM »
I have enjoyed some of Telltale's games, but I strongly dislike their company's overall direction and game design philosophy.  And yeah, it would have been terribly suited to King's Quest.  Also, their forums have some of the worst mods in the business.  ;)
Lambonius...Rarely has our moderating team encountered a forumite as consistently unpleasant as you, and you've burned through far more chances than you deserved. A person really has to try hard to be so obnoxious that they're banned from AG, but you've managed it and then some.

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 06:12:14 PM »
The honest truth - I wouldn't want to do another King's Quest game even we could use the IP.  Well, Kingdom of Sorrow would have been it.  No more after that!  There's other Sierra IP's we'd work better on.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »
The honest truth - I wouldn't want to do another King's Quest game even we could use the IP.  Well, Kingdom of Sorrow would have been it.  No more after that!  There's other Sierra IP's we'd work better on.

Bt

To be honest, that's how I feel about QFI!  The whole I wouldn't want to do another one bit.  Not that we aren't suited for it, but I personally prefer the straight adventure (from a programmers point of view that is)!
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 06:49:20 PM »
I'd like to do something wildly different artistically than what we've done before.  I'd love to do something a bit more stylized, where the art assets could be produced a bit more quickly but would still have a lot of panache.  The stylized realistic paintings we've done for QFI are great and all, but very time consuming.  Each screen is several days worth of on and off work.

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 09:24:18 PM »
I would never do another KQ game, remaking KQ3 was a chore by the end, something SQ2 never turned into for me. I felt very constrained by the cutesy tone of the KQ games and that we couldn't really do anything interesting with them. The rules of KQ are that King Graham was always the HERO (in capital letters), never down, never defeated. We stretched that a little with Graham showing some emotion in the extra cutscene we did of Rosella sacrificing herself, but I don't think we could do more. The basic rule of a drama is there has to be conflict of some sort to drive the narrative, and I don't think that's easy to do with KQ.

As Steve said, there's plenty of other Sierra IP's we would suit a lot better. I love the SQ games, and a new Freddy Pharkas or Manhunter game would be fun projects.

I think it comes down to doing something you love, and I don't love KQ.
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 10:20:22 PM »
Yeah, I all about doing a straight adventure after QFI, too - heh - the complex mechanics of classes, stats, etc.... WOO.  It's a little sado-masochistic.  We have several ideas brewing, though.

None, however, are Codename: Iceman II - Electric Boogaloo.

Bt

Klytos

• The Big Cheese
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 1715
  • Infamous to the Max Power!
    • Shawn Klytos Mills
    • shawnmills100
    • shawnmills100
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
  • Favorite Game: Hero's Quest
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 12:46:18 AM »
Or The Colonels Bequest SVGA - Jodo Kast Edition.

Lambonius

• Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Mojo Brojo
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Adventures
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 02:01:37 AM »
Or The Colonels Bequest SVGA - Jodo Kast Edition.

Now with unlockable extras!  All you need to do is enter your Gmail password!!

rugged

• Villain
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 02:23:04 AM »
You guys already have that one in production, the demo can be found on kazaa