Public Forums > IQ Chat

The future of Infamous Quests

(1/3) > >>

Goatmeal:
Re: Blackthorne's recent QFI Kickstarter Update (July 18, 2016)
========================================

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1992695780/quest-for-infamy-an-adventure-game-by-infamous-que/posts/1632654

========================================

It is truly a sad day here at the IQ forums: the release of "Quest for Infamy: Roehm to Ruin" and "Order of the Thorne: Fortress of Fire" will likely be the last games for Infamous Quests.  Unless things drastically change -- which they likely won't -- this tentative decision is, unfortunately, not wholly unexpected for all of the reasons Blackthorne gave: even if you're treading water, you're not getting ahead...

It should NEVER be forgotten that in the space of a mere 4 years, Infamous Quests was able to produce and RELEASE TWO high-quality crowdfunded graphic adventure games and is in the process of completing TWO more; other fan re-makers and retired professionals with much, MUCH more crowdfunding money haven't even completed a _single_ game* during the same period.  Despite the lack of economic viability for such games in today's marketplace, NOTHING and NO ONE can ever take this accomplishment away from the IQ team.

As an occasional fontographer for IQ and full-time fan, I thank you all for letting us be a part of this endeavor.

At least we have two more games to look forward to.  My appreciation and gratitude to the entire IQ staff for all that they have done, and as the end draws nigh, perhaps they will give us tidbits and hints as to what the last two Order of the Thorne games would have entailed...

*And to those who would minimize the IQ retro-style AGS games in comparison against the size / scope / ambition / complexity of those as-yet unreleased games, I would say that "Quest for Infamy" easily holds its own in those categories.

shoptroll:
I'm still in shock at the news.  A sad sad day for sure :(

--- Quote from: Goatmeal on July 18, 2016, 02:05:22 PM ---It should NEVER be forgotten that in the space of a mere 4 years, Infamous Quests was able to produce and RELEASE TWO high-quality crowdfunded graphic adventure games and is in the process of completing TWO more; other fan re-makers and retired professionals with much, MUCH more crowdfunding money haven't even completed a _single_ game* during the same period.  Despite the lack of economic viability for such games in today's marketplace, NOTHING and NO ONE can ever take this accomplishment away from the IQ team.
--- End quote ---

Ain't that the truth (and I say that as someone who's still looking forward those other projects).  If I had the cash I totally would offer to bankroll the last two episodes of Order. 

Klytos:
Hey Goatmeal, thanks for the kind words! You're right too, we have accomplished a lot with our crowd-funding unlike some other projects; some of which have gone back to the well because they ran out of money and others just haven't delivered. If I was to dig a bit deep here, I would say the failure to deliver of some of those "big names" from yesteryear has done a significant amount of damage to the entire adventure game scene.

We had already made the decision to whittle down OOTT into three games instead of four, Fortress of Fire includes some content that was going to be in the fourth game and Monk and the Mountain was going to finish the story. I'm not sure if we'll conclude the story with FoF now, we'll have to talk about that some more. It's at a stage where changing the ending of the game won't be a catastrophic problem.

shoptroll:

--- Quote from: Klytos on July 19, 2016, 12:46:34 AM ---If I was to dig a bit deep here, I would say the failure to deliver of some of those "big names" from yesteryear has done a significant amount of damage to the entire adventure game scene.
--- End quote ---

There's also been some pretty massive failures in other genres (and on other services) which have poisoned the crowd-funding well for everyone :(

A bit of a longshot, but have you guys ever thought of working with Wadjet Eye?  They seem to have the biggest name recognition of the professional AGS scene and I think that's been the one of the biggest hurdles QfI and OOTT have had as far as sales.  For what it's worth, Kathy Rain has also struggled with sales so I have no doubts when you guys say it's a niche genre.

--- Quote ---We had already made the decision to whittle down OOTT into three games instead of four, Fortress of Fire includes some content that was going to be in the fourth game and Monk and the Mountain was going to finish the story. I'm not sure if we'll conclude the story with FoF now, we'll have to talk about that some more. It's at a stage where changing the ending of the game won't be a catastrophic problem.

--- End quote ---

This would be awesome to see.  My first thought after seeing that FoF was going to be the last game was that we wouldn't get to see the end of the story.

Blackthorne:
Oh no, we'll give the story completion in Fortress of Fire - we're not going to leave that a cliff-hanger.

Bt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version