Author Topic: qfi-demo_2.0 Linux  (Read 17157 times)

Blackthorne

• The Big Boss.
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 2812
  • Marmite is the Devil's Seed
    • View Profile
Re: qfi-demo_2.0 Linux
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 06:46:04 AM »
Just a quick note from me:  I really appreciate you helping us out with these kinds of bugs; I want to make the QFI experience on Linux an awesome one.

Bt
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."

themixturemedia

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »
Hi there I get this error when I try to run this game

Adventure Game Studio v3.21 Interpreter
Copyright (c) 1999-2011 Chris Jones and 2011-20xx others
ACI version 3.21.1115
AGS: Debug system: output subsystem initialized ()
AGS: Debug system initialized ()
AGS: ***** ENGINE STARTUP
AGS: Reading config file
AGS: Initializing allegro
AGS: Setting up window
AGS: Initializing game data
AGS: Game data file: /home/markmckinnon/Desktop/qfi-demo_2.0/data/qfi-demo.ags
 ()
AGS: Initializing TTF renderer
AGS: Initializing mouse
AGS: Checking memory
AGS: Initializing speech vox
Speech sample file found and initialized.
AGS: Initializing audio vox
Audio vox found and initialized.
AGS: Initializing keyboard
AGS: Install timer
Checking sound inits.
AGS: Initialize sound drivers
AGS: Install exit handler
AGS: Initialize path finder library
AGS: Initialize gfx
AGS: Load game data
AGS: Built library path: ./libags_shell.so ()
AGS: dlopen returned: ./libags_shell.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory ()
AGS: Built library path: /home/markmckinnon/Desktop/qfi-demo_2.0/libags_shell.so ()
AGS: dlopen returned: /home/markmckinnon/Desktop/qfi-demo_2.0/libags_shell.so: cannot open shared object ()
AGS: Plugin loading failed, trying built-in plugins... ()
AGS: No built-in plugin found. Plugin loading failed! ()
AGS: QFI - Demo 2.0
AGS: Checking for disk space
AGS: Initializing screen settings
AGS: Init gfx filters
AGS: Init gfx driver
AGS: Switching to graphics mode
AGS: Widescreen side borders: game resolution: 320 x 240; desktop resolution: 1680 x 1050
AGS: Widescreen side borders: gfx card does not support suitable resolution. will attempt 384 x 240 anyway
AGS: Attempt to switch gfx mode to 384 x 240 (32-bit)
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  150 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  10 (XF86VidModeSwitchToMode)
  Value in failed request:  0x4e00003
  Serial number of failed request:  87
  Current serial number in output stream:  92

Error: the program has exited without requesting it.
Program pointer: -179  (write this number down), ACI version 3.21.1115
If you see a list of numbers above, please write them down and contact
Chris Jones. Otherwise, note down any other information displayed.
Aborted (core dumped)

I am not sure what I am missing to start this game up but a real install program for this game would be nice. Maybe an icon on the desktop would be nice as well.

themixturemedia

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 10:32:59 AM »
I found this issue in acsetup.cfg with the windowed=0 and changed it to windowed=1. I am only able to play this game in windowed mode not full screen. Also I am not able to get any sound as well.

s_d

• Most Excellent KS Backer
  • Senior Villain
  • Liked: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 05:13:28 PM »
The graphics sluggishness and click problem disappear if i change scaler to Hq2x or Hq3x.
So that was my fault also, but i didn't know that i needed to play with the settings since i never used anything that uses AGS before.
The crash was related to sound as you guessed, i got it working.
The problem was that i had no midi device since it's an internal sound card (codec).
"aplaymidi -l" does show midi support but there's no /dev/midi0X so i needed to add digiid.

No, it's not your fault at all!  There, unfortunately, is no good and up-to-date documentation (other than the code itself) for AGS options.  There is very old acsetup.cfg page on the AGS site somewhere, which I can't find at present, but I'm trying to get access to the sources for the setup utility that used to be distributed with older versions of AGS (2.7x series).  Building a custom utility to produce "ini-style" configuration files is a pretty trivial task, but properly understanding the set of options, and which platforms they are for, is a little trickier.  I'm hoping to explore the old code and work on that part of the problem.

Our idea for release is to improve the launcher script by having it look for a config file, and if one is not present, scan the system to come up with some reasonable defaults (between lsmod output, running processes, and device nodes in "/dev", decide how to configure the audio, etc), then generate a default config file.  A config editor would then launch and present these choices, and ask if they're OK.  If so, then it would proceed to the start the game.

Some very new code in the engine attempts to query the screen resolution (that part is working) and using some arithmetic, choose the largest scale factor that fits, automatically.  It is looking like there are some bugs in that algorithm (as evidenced by themixturemedia's crash bug).

Thank you so much for digging in like that!  I got a 64-bit Slackware 14 install set up in Virtualbox for testing, before bed last night, but my family is sick right now, so I wasn't really able to go any further.  Seeing how far you got is pretty awesome!

I'm think more that between an automatic configuration generator and a little debugging in the scaling code, we'll have a very solid build.  In fact, that's part of this demo process!  I want to get it running so well and so solidly that the team can be really proud to release the game on Linux.  :)

Please try the StdScaleX options instead of HqNx and see what difference it makes.  Recently (and in the same changeset as automatic scale selection) the ceiling on scale was bumped up to StdScale8;  specifically, for your 1366x768 resolution, I suggest setting your "gfxfilter" to "StdScale3" and testing it out.

I'll move on from the audio problem to reproducing your interlacing artifacts & performance issue with HqNx :-)

So now i can atleast enjoy the so far working demo with sound, and i will buy myself a copy of the game. :D

That's great!  I hope you have as much fun as I did.
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 05:27:46 PM »
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  150 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  10 (XF86VidModeSwitchToMode)
  Value in failed request:  0x4e00003
  Serial number of failed request:  87
  Current serial number in output stream:  92

Thanks for the bug report!  Would you mind sharing some more information?  Specifically, what architecture (32-bit or 64-bit), and distribution version you're running.  The game engine tries to calculate the correct scaling to maximize the image on the screen in full-screen mode, so what you're seeing looks to me like an issue in the algorithm that calculates it.  That would explain why windowed mode is working.

Once I know how to duplicate your setup, I can try to reproduce the error and fix it.

I am not sure what I am missing to start this game up but a real install program for this game would be nice. Maybe an icon on the desktop would be nice as well.

Oh, yes, definitely a self-extracting installer is planned.  A desktop icon or launcher could also be done, but then it depends on the distribution desktop environment (i.e., at that point, I'd rather make a package in the distro's packaging format, and create the launcher icon for the default desktop environment that the distro uses).

I will include the icon image file in the next updated package, so people can make their own launchers, at least  :)

I found this issue in acsetup.cfg with the windowed=0 and changed it to windowed=1. I am only able to play this game in windowed mode not full screen. Also I am not able to get any sound as well.

Yes, that definitely points to an auto-scaling bug.

If you want the game to be bigger, in windowed mode (so it's not tiny) please use the setting "gfxfilter=StdScale4" and see if is big enough to enjoy.  Sorry about the problems!  Part of this process, with the extended demo, is working to make platform support really good.

Thank you for taking the time to report to us!  It means a lot.
"Any statements made by this fan of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and in no way reflects the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this fan will be clearly identified as bullshit."

themixturemedia

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 06:25:55 PM »
Hey there I am running Ubuntu 13.04 32 bit OS.

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »
Hey there I am running Ubuntu 13.04 32 bit OS.

Thanks!  I assume that you're running stock Pulseaudio as well?  I'll dig into it.

Also, did the "gfxfilter=StdScale4" setting in acsetup make the game bigger for you in windowed mode?

והצ123

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 07:13:26 PM »
Did you try the sound section for acsetup.cfg that i posted and did it do anything for your sound?
Code: (acsetup.cfg) [Select]
[misc]
gamecolordepth=16
titletext=Quest for Infamy Demo 2.0
windowed=1
gfxfilter=StdScale3
[sound]
digiid=1
midiid=0

Please try the StdScaleX options instead of HqNx and see what difference it makes.  Recently (and in the same changeset as automatic scale selection) the ceiling on scale was bumped up to StdScale8;  specifically, for your 1366x768 resolution, I suggest setting your "gfxfilter" to "StdScale3" and testing it out.

I'll move on from the audio problem to reproducing your interlacing artifacts & performance issue with HqNx :-)
With StdScale3 fullscreen does work but the graphics looks worse, not that it's broken or something it only looks worse.

I did a test with the amd legacy blob (catalyst) and the sluggishness went away totally and i felt like it was ok before but using catalyst showed me how bad it really was .
But i do find it strange that it do feel a bit sluggish with the open source driver since a play alot more high graphics games with it.
So i guess that it's something with the AGS engine not being optimized for the drivers or it uses strange calls.
But it feels strange that an game with graphics look of the 90th shouldn't be supported when i a week ago played "The Journey Down: Chapter One" without a glitch on the radeon driver.

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 08:26:56 PM »
With StdScale3 fullscreen does work but the graphics looks worse, not that it's broken or something it only looks worse.

Yeah....

So, the graphics...

The "HqNx" options actually applying a smoothing/interpolation filter.  I'm not sure how well used or tested those filters are, in full-screen mode on Linux (I'll have to do some research on that).  I've reproduced the glitch with screen corruption, by the way, and found it to occur using Hq2x/Hq3x outside of just Slackware 14.  It will need to be tested on i386 as well, as it may well be an alignment issue.

At any rate, it's my understanding that the look of the game intentionally portrays the height of Sierra-style VGA pixel art!  It's an purposefully designed retro-look.

If you watch the Kickstarter pitch video ( http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1992695780/quest-for-infamy-an-adventure-game-by-infamous-que ) you'll notice that all the in-game graphics shown have no such effect applied.  We'd have to check with the QFI to know whether or not they designed the game with that mode in mind (I don't think so), but I think that the full square pixels are intended  :)

I truly hope that this classic look and feel do not put you off the game too much  :-\

That said, I will search for a solution, as it improves the engine for everyone.

I did a test with the amd legacy blob (catalyst) and the sluggishness went away totally and i felt like it was ok before but using catalyst showed me how bad it really was .
But i do find it strange that it do feel a bit sluggish with the open source driver since a play alot more high graphics games with it.
So i guess that it's something with the AGS engine not being optimized for the drivers or it uses strange calls.

Rather, not even AGS but one of the game libraries it's based on, Allegro.  It is possible that Allegro is not taking advantage of 2D acceleration features in FOSS radeon, but does take advantage of some other feature.  It's hard to speculate, really, but both Allegro and AGS are open and can be fixed for everyone once the problem is found!

But it feels strange that an game with graphics look of the 90th shouldn't be supported when i a week ago played "The Journey Down: Chapter One" without a glitch on the radeon driver.

Well, they didn't have sup-pixel interpolation for smoothing and upscaling 32-bit color graphics in the mid 90's, but I know what you mean  ;)

BTW, The Journey Down is a beautiful game, and their native Linux support is quite good.  I'm happy to have bought & played it to support those dudes. 8)

chucklas

• Bt's Technical Advisor
  • Team IQ
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 463
  • Good morning, that’s a nice tnetennba.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 08:31:51 PM »
Yeah, the graphics are pixelated intentionally.  Thats the style we are going for.  With 320x240 resolution it is a real treat to see how beautiful the artwork can be.  I am no artist, but I can only imagine it is much more difficult to pull off low res graphics!  Inpersonally love the look, but I am a bit biased!  ;)
The statements made by this member of Infamous Quests are his/her own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the management of Infamous Quests

והצ123

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 10:49:47 PM »
I truly hope that this classic look and feel do not put you off the game too much  :-\
It doesn't and it does have a retro look and feel like when i was young :P (this statement made me feel old).
But using the radeon driver i'm more or less forced to use "HqNx" since otherwise it's not fluent enough.
One problem playing with radeon is that the sluggishness affects even actions like mouse action so sometimes i need to click more then once or the action won't be interpreted.
Using catalyst (fglrx) instead works a lot better, but i rather use radeon if possible and if i would power up my other laptop then i have no other option then to use radeon since there's no fglrx for that hardware using a modern linux distribution.

Some google-fu showed that the possibility of allegro being the troublemaker is rather high.
I will try some other ags games and see how good they work, think i might try the old "The Journey Down: Over the Edge" and "King's Quest II+" for reference.

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 03:17:26 AM »
It doesn't and it does have a retro look and feel like when i was young :P (this statement made me feel old).

I hear you, brother!!  (or sister)

But using the radeon driver i'm more or less forced to use "HqNx" since otherwise it's not fluent enough.

Waitwaitwait... I totally misconstrued the problem then.  You're saying that "HqNx" smoothing is performant?  And further, your experience is that standard scaling, along with giant pixels, is sluggish?

One problem playing with radeon is that the sluggishness affects even actions like mouse action so sometimes i need to click more then once or the action won't be interpreted.
I agree, that certainly must be a performance issue.

Using catalyst (fglrx) instead works a lot better, but i rather use radeon if possible and if i would power up my other laptop then i have no other option then to use radeon since there's no fglrx for that hardware using a modern linux distribution.

I completely agree.  Currently, I'm fortunate to have reasonable support on my integrated Intel HD adapter with open-source drivers, but I've been in your situation before.

I've learned over many painful years that you just don't disparage another Linux user's hardware!  For over four years I was stuck on an old PowerPC laptop (imagine the embarrassment... if I were a Mac user, I'd be caught on old crappy hardware, but if you're a Linux user and anyone asks you to view anything in Flash... well, can't win either way).  Needless to say, radeon and mesa was all I had (there is no Linux PPC fglrx!).

Like you, I believe that Allegro may be responsible, and this particular issue may take some time to resolve.  I may have better luck resolving the screen corruption since that appears to be rather reproduceable.

I will try some other ags games and see how good they work, think i might try the old "The Journey Down: Over the Edge" and "King's Quest II+" for reference.

I've heard rumors that our own Infamous Adventures, here, are in possession of Linux installers for Space Quest II and King's Quest III... if enough people request it, they may post them, who knows...

s_d

• Senior Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 02:34:16 AM »
themixturemedia;  if you're still lurking around here, I've built a test version of the AGS interpreter for you to try out.  I've adjusted the way resolutions are switched (or rather, what it is that resolution mode switch requests are sent to), and added some debugging instrumentation.

If you are willing, I'd love to have you run this test version in full-screen mode with a specific debugging option passed on the command-line, and paste the results of the run into the forums here (whether it works or not).

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6MINOiRa7QednZjQi0xQnRMeUE/edit?usp=sharing

If this is convenient for you, please replace the binary in the installer "qfi-demo_2.0/data/ags32" with the one that is downloaded from the above URL, and start the game via "./qfi-demo -verbose".  Hopefully it will produce lots of display-mode-related debugging information (or even better... we'll be lucky and the game will be playable in full-screen mode).

I'll send a PM, also.

zerothis

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 11:53:52 AM »
I have a bug to report, sadly not with the demo itself. It seems to be a web server bug. I tried downloading the Linux demo three times. The download stopped short between 150-154 mb each time. Might be from overload.

Broomie

• Chief Administrator
  • The Bosses
  • Mastermind
  • Liked: 581
    • https://www.facebook.com/brooomie
    • broomie
    • https://twitter.com/jbroomie/
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/JBroomie
    • View Profile
    • Infamous Quests
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 02:00:59 PM »
I've removed a few mirror links so hopefully the download for the demo should be okay now. Do you know what server it was downloading from?
"Any statements made by this member of Infamous Quests is his own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Infamous Quests. Any official statements made about Infamous Quests by this member will be clearly identified as such."