Author Topic: How I write the music for Quest for Infamy - (or quest for a theme)  (Read 20114 times)

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
Re: How I write the music for Quest for Infamy - (or quest for a theme)
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2016, 12:39:57 PM »
Ok, let's take Batman Begins. That movie is 11 years old. Can you hum the theme from that movie?

No, but that's only because I haven't watched that particular trilogy yet; I have 'em on DVD, but have never gotten around to watching them.   ;)

And I don't think not having a hummable theme for a "silly moving picture about superheroes" is something to let slide. If anything it's all the MORE reason to have hummable themes. Spiderman. Superman, for goodness' sake. Tim Burton Batman. Even Joel Schumacher Batman! All memorable themes. Superheroes are prime candidates for hummable themes! "Silly motion pictures" in general are prime candidates for hummable themes! Even the new Wonder Woman has a theme, not as interesting as it could be, but hummable nonetheless and recognizable. And it was written by Hans Zimmer, no less. So I don't buy that argument. Even The Mask, a silly comedy about a mask that turns Jim Carrey into a cartoon human, has a memorable score (one of my favourites actually!).

The Mask is one of my favorite scores, too.

Yes, superhero movies SHOULD be heroic in all aspects, but why all the hullabaloo if they're not (aside from the lower quality/standards argument)?  This just goes back to the "easy/lazy/common denominator/group think" of today's modern movie industry.

You're pointing out that you can find themes even in newer music from the 2000s–2010s, which I also said -- you just have to look for them.  Most people don't want to or don't care.

And for the movies from the 1970s–1990s to which you're referring, this leads me to...

I also completely don't buy the argument that these other movie themes are memorable because they're older. Besides the Batman Begins example, these movies themes were instantly recognizable the moment I watched them for the first time. They instantly snagged my ears and I was humming them after the movies were over the first time I watched them and have stayed with me ever since.

I maintain they are memorable because of the musical sensibilities OF THE AGE whence they were composed.  Hearing music like that repetitively for 30–40 years ad nauseam doesn't hurt, though.

As far as music is concerned in Hollywood (and the games industry), the ball has been dropped and standards have been lowered, make no bones about it. It's just what has happened.

Yep, tru' dat.  The evolution/devolution of film and game music: sonic wallpaper.

Looking forward to hearing YOUR music for the Mage's InitiationKQ3R is a favorite of mine.

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2016, 01:46:23 PM »
No, but that's only because I haven't watched that particular trilogy yet; I have 'em on DVD, but have never gotten around to watching them.   ;)

Oh, you really should. They're quite good.

Yes, superhero movies SHOULD be heroic in all aspects, but why all the hullabaloo if they're not (aside from the lower quality/standards argument)?  This just goes back to the "easy/lazy/common denominator/group think" of today's modern movie industry.

"Besides?" That's the entire problem for me. There is nothing besides. I consider it a big enough issue on its own. Obviously you don't, I guess. It's a dilution of the arts for purely mechanical purposes to generate a shallow reaction. It's not just a selfish need to want better music to listen to (although that's part of it, sure), it's the fact that art as a whole suffers when standards are dropped, both on the side of the artists and the audience/consumers/whatever. We should be raising standards not dropping them. Art should always push the envelope, and if it's not then it at least should have everything put into it on the part of the creator. Half-hearted attempts and contributions aren't worth much. It lowers the standards and, by extension, the expectations of society. Why do that when we are capable of so much more? I think this is borderline dangerous in the bigger picture where society starts believing it's not capable of anything better when it absolutely is.

I know good art is not going anywhere altogether because of this problem, but it sure is putting unnecessary obstacles in our path. Think of the dark ages, only for music. What kind of technology would we have without the catholic church burning scientist heretics at the stake?

You're pointing out that you can find themes even in newer music from the 2000s–2010s, which I also said -- you just have to look for them.  Most people don't want to or don't care.

Yeah, it's there. But like I also said it's no where near as interesting as the Superman or Batman themes. It's just a repeating 7-note riff alternating between 3 notes.

And for the movies from the 1970s–1990s to which you're referring, this leads me to...

I maintain they are memorable because of the musical sensibilities OF THE AGE whence they were composed.  Hearing music like that repetitively for 30–40 years ad nauseam doesn't hurt, though.

Musical sensibilities were better back then.

Yep, tru' dat.  The evolution/devolution of film and game music: sonic wallpaper.

Yes. And sonic wallpaper = garbage. It's like overusing CGI, or typecasting actors, or boom-chick pop music. It's lazy, repetitive, and boring. Doesn't do anything to push the envelope or give me hope for truly moving art.

Looking forward to hearing YOUR music for the Mage's InitiationKQ3R is a favorite of mine.

Thanks! I hope it reaches my own level of standards for other people lol. I did my best anyway, which is all I can do and all I should do. I'm currently enjoying Quest For Infamy's score right now as I finally play through it for the first time after ending my first Mage's Initiation beta test playthrough. So props, @sickfiction ! Nice work from what I'm hearing so far.

Goatmeal

• Mastermind
  • Liked: 579
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2016, 05:04:30 PM »

"Besides?" That's the entire problem for me. There is nothing besides. I consider it a big enough issue on its own. Obviously you don't, I guess. It's a dilution of the arts for purely mechanical purposes to generate a shallow reaction. It's not just a selfish need to want better music to listen to (although that's part of it, sure), it's the fact that art as a whole suffers when standards are dropped, both on the side of the artists and the audience/consumers/whatever. We should be raising standards not dropping them. Art should always push the envelope, and if it's not then it at least should have everything put into it on the part of the creator. Half-hearted attempts and contributions aren't worth much. It lowers the standards and, by extension, the expectations of society. Why do that when we are capable of so much more? I think this is borderline dangerous in the bigger picture where society starts believing it's not capable of anything better when it absolutely is.

I know good art is not going anywhere altogether because of this problem, but it sure is putting unnecessary obstacles in our path. Think of the dark ages, only for music. What kind of technology would we have without the catholic church burning scientist heretics at the stake?

Of course people should be -- and can be -- much more than we often present ourselves to be (I feel like Kirk or Picard defending humanity here), but when we don't, it's not necessarily the end of the world; we can't always be 110% all the time.  This might simply be a period where we are in a trough, not a crest.

And, from my perspective, there's not much a "non-musical" fellow like me can do about it, except with the power of my wallet: there HAS been a revolution (of sorts) over the last 10-15 years in the realm of movie scores being release on niche labels, often with limited production runs.

I cannot tell you -- well, actually, I can -- how many complete scores I have bought that were previously unavailable for movies going as far back as the 1960s (about where my own musical interests in most movies stops), with most purchases from the 1980s / early 1990s.

Will that make a difference?  Show that there is an interest in movie scores with themes and melodies and "hummable" tunes?  Probably not -- a small niche group of soundtrack fans buying from even smaller group of niche soundtrack labels won't make much of an impact...

But I'll keep buying.

MusicallyInspired

• Villain
  • Liked: 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »
I didn't say there was much that most people can do. I just think it sucks.